Why did you choose surgery over IM?

Started by InTypical
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a MS3 I remember going from two months of surgery, where we worked 12-16 hours a day doing some crazy stuff along with bread and butter while having a blast. It just felt so good to tangibly fix a problem. Then I went to IM...

Best way to summarize my experience:
Surgery is 16 hours of work crammed into a 12 hour day.
IM is 3 hours of work crammed into a 12 hour day.

I have NEVER been more bored in my entire life.

PS - Credit to OP for actually using the search function. That's moxie baby. Get some.
 
Because surgery includes operating. Internal medicine does not.

Now there are some in betweeners. Like some surgical sub specialties have more medical components, and some IM specialties (GI, interventional cards) are more procedural... but what it comes down to is the difference between managing surgical disease and medical disease.

Medical disease: hypertension, diabetes
Surgical disease: acute type A aortic dissection

One involves writing a scrip for lisinopril or hydrochlorothiazide. The other involves a bit more than that, though you end up managing their blood pressure too anyway...
 
As a MS3 I remember going from two months of surgery, where we worked 12-16 hours a day doing some crazy stuff along with bread and butter while having a blast. It just felt so good to tangibly fix a problem. Then I went to IM...

Best way to summarize my experience:
Surgery is 16 hours of work crammed into a 12 hour day.
IM is 3 hours of work crammed into a 12 hour day.

I have NEVER been more bored in my entire life.

PS - Credit to OP for actually using the search function. That's moxie baby. Get some.

Probably the best description of a surgery work day and a medicine work day I’ve ever seen