Why did you switch jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scent of a mule

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you out in private practice, if you switched jobs what was the reason? What do you think is the most common reason your fellow colleagues switch? Are they looking for better hours, more pay, family??
Just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

still on my first job outside of the military...plan on staying until:

1) I retire

or

2) work/pay ratio sucks too bad

People I've hired came to me because of number 2.

There are at least 7 people who are looking for jobs because they didn't cut the mustard with my group.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious Mil, what were the issues with the folks you fired? Are your standards much higher than those of other groups? Or do you think these doctors would have had trouble anywhere?

still on my first job outside of the military...plan on staying until:

1) I retire

or

2) work/pay ratio sucks too bad

People I've hired came to me because of number 2.

There are at least 7 people who are looking for jobs because they didn't cut the mustard with my group.

I surely don't want to pretend that I know Mil's practice and can speak for him. But I will give my impression.

Rip me Mil if I am out of line and I will apologize. But I think I have a reason for your "poor candidates". LOCATION.

I left my first job b/c of location. I wanted a lifestyle that appealed to me outside of work. I understand that different people have different needs but highly desirable locations attract highly desirable people.

I would bet these Drs. would have had trouble elsewhere as well. Mil may have high standards but they are not ones that can't be met by most well trained physicians.

And with this I have answered why I left me first job. Great job. Great Drs. Bad location for me.

I left my first job because of #2.

question for military: 7 people seems like a lot of partnership track docs to not measure up. How many did make partner during the time period those 7 left. Also, it is not a testament to your group's hiring selection process if that represents a high ratio of washouts to partners.

of the 7....

4 were here before I got here....so they were shown the door after I took over.

2 were locums who came through who wanted to stay on.......beyond their locums contracts because I just couldn't find anyone I really wanted....they were shown the door when I recruited the right bodies...there was no deception.

1 was hired and let go after the first year...he claimed he was what we were looking for...he wasn't....

I personally recruited 5 ....4 were offered partnerships within 30 days....

I'm curious Mil, what were the issues with the folks you fired? Are your standards much higher than those of other groups? Or do you think these doctors would have had trouble anywhere?

I honestly don't know.

could be, but I doubt it...

no one is leaving......

we have more PhD's per capital here than any other city in the nation.

Multi-national/ethic culture...

restaurants...symphony...blah blah blah....

but we do have the stigma of being in the south...but I don't think it's the location.

I surely don't want to pretend that I know Mil's practice and can speak for him. But I will give my impression.

Rip me Mil if I am out of line and I will apologize. But I think I have a reason for your "poor candidates". LOCATION.

I left my first job b/c of location. I wanted a lifestyle that appealed to me outside of work. I understand that different people have different needs but highly desirable locations attract highly desirable people.

I would bet these Drs. would have had trouble elsewhere as well. Mil may have high standards but they are not ones that can't be met by most well trained physicians.

And with this I have answered why I left me first job. Great job. Great Drs. Bad location for me.

I left my first job when I saw that the Anesthesia Management Company, which I was working for was run by liars and the salary I was promised was a lie. When they refused to pay me the bonus they had promised.

I left my first job when I saw that the Anesthesia Management Company, that I was working for was run by liars and the salary I was promised was a lie. When they refused to pay me the bonus they had promised.

what was your previous user name?

JohanKriek?

what was your previous user name?

JohanKriek?

I thought the SDN was an Anonymous forum, I am here to help people see what a threat working for Criminals like AMC is to your health, wealth, and career.

But I don't know who JohanKriek is but with over 900 posts last in March and no avatar. I am sure he is posting under some other name since March.

I don't want to leap frog but wait my turn, while helping out organizing the community on the SDN.

could be, but I doubt it...

no one is leaving......

we have more PhD's per capital here than any other city in the nation.

Multi-national/ethic culture...

restaurants...symphony...blah blah blah....

but we do have the stigma of being in the south...but I don't think it's the location.

I spent some time there as a med student. It is a really a nice town. Very educated population, nice hospitals. It was a fun place to live.