Why did you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phungy

Account Terminated
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time visitor (1 yr), first time poster (kind of). Read the rules and performed a search but no successful results. I hope this question hasn't been asked yet but I have a feeling it has. Anyways, I'll just shoot.

Why did you choose dentistry?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
money and lifestyle...why ask the obvious?:laugh:

money and lifestyle...why ask the obvious?:laugh:

yea, if you're a premed drop out :idea:

some of us actually, you know...what to be dentists :smuggrin:

and to the op...if you're looking for something to talk about in your personal statement, it would probably be best to come up with your own reasons for going into dentistry or risk sounding incredibly cliche

gluck

hmm...this is actually the most serious response I written all day...anyone that wants to go into dentistry is doing it at least partly for the money. If money isn't their #1 reason then its their #2 or #3. Anyone that saids they don't care about money, or money doesn't matter at all blah blah blah is just lying and you know it...

"I became a [dentist] for the same four reasons everybody does: chicks, money, power, and chicks."
-Dr. Cox

I like your quote...even though you don't care about money...

hmm...this is actually the most serious response I have wrote all day...anyone that wants to go into dentistry is doing it at least partly for the money. If money isn't their #1 reason then its their #2 or #3. Anyone that saids they don't care about money, or money doesn't matter at all blah blah blah is just lying and you know it...

I totally agree. The first time you shadowed your dentist and he pulled up to his ofice in the brand new 911 carrera or BMW 760 you said to yourself...

DAAYyyMnn!

Then when you saw his 46 plasma in the waiting room and a flat panel for every operatory and his swet mahogony desk where he sat all day long and ordered his assistants around drilled a cuple of teeth, set a few crowns

all you saw were $$$$$$$ bills

Write about that. I have some examples of personal statements here.

hmm...this is actually the most serious response I written all day...anyone that wants to go into dentistry is doing it at least partly for the money. If money isn't their #1 reason then its their #2 or #3. Anyone that saids they don't care about money, or money doesn't matter at all blah blah blah is just lying and you know it...

Of course I know that, I say it all the time. I still stand by my original sentiment. I await the PM that says you're secretely IHD just trolling the forum for kicks. It'll make my day. :D

Money is always a factor, but def. not the deciding one...for me personally, I'm artistic and dentistry is like an art to me, medicine not so much because it's not as precise and detailed. That and in medicine you always end up looking ten times worse before you even look the slightest bit better, in dentistry your patients can walk away satisfied...lol

It's all about two things... Alieviating pain and being able to be with my family. I was going in to Investment banking but you can't tell me an 70 hour a week I Banker is going to have a better family life than a 40hour a week Dentist.

and to the op...if you're looking for something to talk about in your personal statement, it would probably be best to come up with your own reasons for going into dentistry or risk sounding incredibly cliche

gluck

I'm glad you made this comment to me because I would have ended up with a very fake personal statement. I appreciate you keeping me on the right path instead of taking a risky shortcut. :)

I totally agree. The first time you shadowed your dentist and he pulled up to his ofice in the brand new 911 carrera or BMW 760 you said to yourself...

DAAYyyMnn!

Then when you saw his 46 plasma in the waiting room and a flat panel for every operatory and his swet mahogony desk where he sat all day long and ordered his assistants around drilled a cuple of teeth, set a few crowns

all you saw were $$$$$$$ bills

Write about that. I have some examples of personal statements here.

I started to download the personal statements but took bruinpredent's advice and forced myself to write my own PS. I still haven't looked at the other personal statements.

The pediatric dentist I shadow at has equipment from 25-30 years ago. No fancy plasma TV or anything high-tech. And his car? '07 Toyota FJ cruiser...

...along with an '07 Z06, '07 M5 and '07 S550 :scared:

"I became a [dentist] for the same four reasons everybody does: chicks, money, power, and chicks."
-Dr. Cox

I like your quote...even though you don't care about money...

:laugh: guys, be warned: evidently we are no longer allowed to have a sense of humor on an anonymous dental forum. spread the word! :rolleyes:

I'm glad you made this comment to me because I would have ended up with a very fake personal statement. I appreciate you keeping me on the right path instead of taking a risky shortcut. :)

Your personal statement is one of the many opportunities you are given to shine and stand out among the rest of the applicants, so i'm glad to hear you are taking advantage of that opportunity.

gluck!