Why do most dentists use 2.5x loupes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeagueofLigTies

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve asked a ton of practicing dentists and they seem to prefer using 2.5x. I thought the gold standard was 3.5x?

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve asked a ton of practicing dentists and they seem to prefer using 2.5x. I thought the gold standard was 3.5x?

Probably because of the field of view. Also, lighting decreases as magnification increases. Is there really a gold standard? Everyone is different in that some people can accomplish a great result at 2.5x and some people still can't execute at 5.5x. It's not just about what you can or cannot see, but whether you can do a great job at a specific magnification.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a GP, I use 3,5x with headlight. However, the higher you go the less you can see how the patient is responding to the treatment-if they are uncomfortable etc.. It would be hard to be any higher than 3.5x when treating children for example. I think it is procedure specific and patient specific. If you are checking a margin you may want higher magnification but if you are looking at the gingival heights of 6-11 you may need less. For me, 3.5x allows me enough detail and I am still able to see a larger area if needed.

i'm not old and i use 5.5x. will never go lower. I do it to save my back and have good posture while at the same time getting really up close to decay and finding canals.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I originally used 2.5x. About 3 years after graduation I moved to 4.5. In hindsight I should have just bought 4.5 from the start.

Reactions: 3 users
2.5x is useless to me. I started there then went to 3.5x. Now switched to Exam Vision which are 4 way changing going from 3.5-6.5x. Best loupes I have ever had! I do almost everything at 6.5x, from restorative, endo, surgery, suturing, etc. Going to Perio and will continue using 6.5x. It is hard to downgrade in magnification, when you are able to see very fine details why would you want to go back to seeing nothing ie. 2.5x. Not old, under 30.

Don't worry about "most" dentists, find the dentists that impress you and emulate them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I started out with a 3.5x in dental school. Now as a new dentist, I just bought a 5.0x ErgoPrism and is slowly switching to that. That new pair of loupes costs me close to 3 grands, but hopefully it’s a good investment for my back. The only procedure that I don’t wear loupes for is prophy, just safety glasses.

Last edited:
Go straight to 5.5 and call it a day.

Reactions: 5 users
Get the Orascoptic EyeZoom w/ their loupe lights. I love them. You can go 3, 4, or 5x. Loupes are really important, so always have a backup pair ready. I know it's pricey, but you can't treat what you can't see. There are diminishing returns on magnification and not every procedure will require a 5x. Also, if you have an intraoral scanner, you can evaluate your preps too - way better than just loupes. You can really see how you can improve your prep, where you might be deficient, and think about how to fix it.