"Why DO" on secondaries...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CantStop_WontStop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone thinks it will look bad in anyway to state that I started looking into the DO path after someone suggested it might be a good option for me as a nontraditional student? and then obviously stating the specific reasons why I decided to continue on this path after doing more research on the profession & shadowing.

Once I decided to pursue medicine (at 27) I didn't really know about DO's or even really how the application process went for medical schools, so I'm concerned about it sounding overly naive and calling into question my certainty for pursuing medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Shadow both an MD and DO, find anything positive a DO did as compared to their MD counterpart, then go from there.

Reactions: 1 user
Shadow both an MD and DO, find anything positive a DO did as compared to their MD counterpart, then go from there.

Thanks for the reply! I have solid reasons to back up why I'm going the DO path, including shadowing, but my main concern is just opening the essay with a somewhat naive sounding comment that basically states I didn't know what the profession was until someone had suggested it may be a good fit for me as they are very openminded toward accepting nontraditional students.

After this person pointed me in the direction of DO, I did plenty of research, read Norman Gevitz book "The DO's 2nd edition", shadowed a DO, and am now certain that my goals line up with the DO path.

**Edit: Sorry, I should have stated that I'm almost 30 y.o. now, and this happened when I was 27, but it's the main reason I even found out DO's existed, and then that discovery has since snowballed into a real interest and passion to go the DO route even if my upcoming MCAT puts me as a good candidate for MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! I have solid reasons to back up why I'm going the DO path, including shadowing, but my main concern is just opening the essay with a somewhat naive sounding comment that basically states I didn't know what the profession was until someone had suggested it may be a good fit for me as they are very openminded toward accepting nontraditional students.

After this person pointed me in the direction of DO, I did plenty of research, read Norman Gevitz book "The DO's 2nd edition", shadowed a DO, and am now certain that my goals line up with the DO path.

**Edit: Sorry, I should have stated that I'm almost 30 y.o. now, and this happened when I was 27, but it's the main reason I even found out DO's existed, and then that discovery has since snowballed into a real interest and passion to go the DO route even if my upcoming MCAT puts me as a good candidate for MD.
I would say that your reason is like mine, and I was accepted. I didn't really consider DO until I shadowed a FM MD and she had some DO residents and they were such an example to me that I applied to DO schools.

If you've shadowed, as you mentioned, then why would it sound naive as long as you intellectually phrase your essay?

True, I guess I'm just unsure how it'll be viewed to admit that prior to pursuing medicine I didn't really know about DO as an option and looked into it originally once I found out that it might be a good idea as a non-traditional applicant. As you mention though, phrasing it appropriately is probably the most important factor.

Reactions: 1 user
True, I guess I'm just unsure how it'll be viewed to admit that prior to pursuing medicine I didn't really know about DO as an option and looked into it originally once I found out that it might be a good idea as a non-traditional applicant. As you mention though, phrasing it appropriately is probably the most important factor.
Most people are introduced to DO somehow. Some meet one and some are told about it by others, as there still aren't that many DOs percent wise. I'd avoid making it sound like a negative of they accept nontrads but as long as you can show what u did to learn more and why that DO fits you then you should be fine.

Best of luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk