Why do Optomitrists make so much in Canada?

Started by clc8503
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

clc8503

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I saw on a web site a while back that the average salary for Opomitrists in Canada was significantly higher than those in the US. I'm sure this is wrong, but I saw that the average salary was well over $500,000 a year. Is this true? If so, why?
 
hahaha man i wish that was the case...but its not. i think you should check out the validity of the website. it depends which province you are in, but in Alberta, the avg OD makes no less then 100 000...and this is the highest salary in Canada. BC and Ontario are slightly lower. And this is for a starting OD. I know an OD that makes 400 000, but thats only because he is super old and so he's established 4 practices which are affiliated with Lenscrafters...he saved money on rent this way 😉 smart man!!


clc8503 said:
I saw on a web site a while back that the average salary for Opomitrists in Canada was significantly higher than those in the US. I'm sure this is wrong, but I saw that the average salary was well over $500,000 a year. Is this true? If so, why?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm sure that OD salaries in the US are much higher than that in Canada. 🙂

clc8503 said:
I saw on a web site a while back that the average salary for Opomitrists in Canada was significantly higher than those in the US.
 
ariel winter said:
i'm sure that OD salaries in the US are much higher than that in Canada. 🙂
I'd go with about the same or less.
 
exam fees in the US are generally about double what they are in canada
 
anchan said:
exam fees in the US are generally about double what they are in canada

Why is Alberta the highest paying province in terms of optometry? I am assuming they have deregulated fee schedules, but don't other provinces as well?
 
Alberta is the fastest growing province right now with Calgary as one of the fastest growing cities in Canada. As well, compared with BC, Alberta does not allow Opticians to refract. And unlike Ontario, Alberta does not have an Optometry School and a lot of OD's. The oil economy in Alberta is booming and bringing in a larger population to the province.
Hope that answers your questions.
Take care

canadiancal said:
Why is Alberta the highest paying province in terms of optometry? I am assuming they have deregulated fee schedules, but don't other provinces as well?