Why do people bash Nova?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duracell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious, maybe it's just me, but throughout my time on the boards, i've seen several negative comments. The most recent one someone is saying they have a 50% passing board rate etc... I remember someone saying it's easier to get in? But my guess is its the same as everywhere else.. ?

So, i hope i'm not starting a war or something, because I am just curious why people bash this school more than others.

Members don't see this ad.

is it true that the school lost its accrediation sometime in the past?....and partly that's how they got their bad rep from...Any validity in this?

HI,
I am attending UHCO this coming fall and I was also accepted into NOVA. I honestly don't know why NOVA gets bashed as well. As far as I can tell it is a very nice school and I would love to go to school there except the fact that it would cost me so much more money living there. As far as their board passing rate, I believe it is lower than most schools, but that doesnt mean they don't teach you what you need to know, I just think people that go to that school partied too much on the beach or something because if I was there I do the same. If you study hard enough, you will do fine on the board. Also I think people just like to jump on NOVA because it is a relatively new institution. In my opinion, I don't think NOVA is bad.

stompy said:
is it true that the school lost its accrediation sometime in the past?....and partly that's how they got their bad rep from...Any validity in this?
When I graduated in 1997 there were some credentialing issues. When I was accepted to the Bascom Palmer residency they only had a temporary accreditation (Bascom Palmer is technically under NOVA's residency programs). Within a year of completing the residency they had gained full accreditation.

When I was applying to schools, NOVA was very new and did not have a good reputation, mainly because it was easier to get in. I can tell you from experience, however, that of all the students that came through Bascom Palmer while I was a resident, the NOVA students were some of the sharpest when it came to ocular disease and we had students from Berkely, Indiana, and NEWENCO as well.