why do program find out a day earlier who matches?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoal

Oinker!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This just doesn't make sense to me... If anything the applicants should find out first, we are the ones whose life is going to change big time. A program gets this every year, we get it once or perhaps twice. Give us an hour alone before the program, instead of the program knowing 23 hours ahead of time.

It's very painful.

NRMP :thumbdown: .. should be advocating for us, not the programs.

Good luck all tomorrow --- well besides aPD, he/she already knows their incoming class.

Members don't see this ad.

The whole match process favors us. I'd wager programs (and schools) find out early to deal with administrative stuff.

what time do they find out?

The whole match process favors us. I'd wager programs (and schools) find out early to deal with administrative stuff.

You're probably right, and it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Still, it's maddening to think that my top choice has the list of incoming interns and either I am or am not on the list... I know it isn't rational, but there you have it:p

one day isn't going to give them any kind of administrative benefit particularly on a thursday going into a friday. Its unlikely that anything will get done that cannot be done without our names.

It is a justification though.

They found out today at 2:00pm ET.

Last edited:
Disagree on both counts. It's a huge misperception, imho, that applicants somehow have more 'power' in the process--it's clear to me that programs have the ultimate advantage. Also, no way the 23 hrs is required for "administrative" reasons.

Well, your medical school also finds out today where you are matching, but that is necessary so they have something to put in your envelope for tomorrow :)

In the end, it doesn't matter much.

Because they need to stuff your envelope and then print those handouts with everyone's match result on it. .....DUH.

So...did you all just completely run out of things to complain about on the intarwubs? Because I can't imagine another reason why this would become the topic of it's own thread.

You srsly need to chill.

one day isn't going to give them any kind of administrative benefit particularly on a thursday going into a friday. Its unlikely that anything will get done that cannot be done without our names.

It is a justification though.

They found out today at 2:00pm ET.

I prepared the contracts and made the announcement poster. :D

Interesting. When do the residency contracts go out to newly matched applicants?

mcl, you seem like an awesome program coordinator : D
Out of curiosity, what specialty/region are you in?

So...did you all just completely run out of things to complain about on the intarwubs? Because I can't imagine another reason why this would become the topic of it's own thread.

You srsly need to chill.

Youre being quite the jerk. Long way youve come since matching. I think it was a fair question, accepting things at face value is why people thought stomach ulcers were caused by stress... Inquisitive minds want to know whythings are the way they are. Keep believing the world is flat and ill keep asking why.

Reactions: 1 user
Disagree on both counts. It's a huge misperception, imho, that applicants somehow have more 'power' in the process--it's clear to me that programs have the ultimate advantage. Also, no way the 23 hrs is required for "administrative" reasons.

Did I say we have more "power" (whatever that means)? No, but the match algorithm favors us. It's a long process, but we have far more control over where we end up than we would in a first come first served system.

Schools find out beforehand so they can print out envelopes, make fortune cookies, etc.

I agree it's unnecessary for programs to find out before, but I'm sure some applicants call programs immediately after matching so it's probably a good thing they know before we do so they can refresh themselves about their matches (how much earlier is up for debate). Again, just a rationalization.

You srsly need to chill.

I occasionally think to myself and laugh about how no matter when we got our match results someone would be posting on here about how it is such a travesty that we didn't get them one day sooner.

will we get a list of the rest of the intern class from teh program ??

This just doesn't make sense to me... If anything the applicants should find out first, we are the ones whose life is going to change big time. A program gets this every year, we get it once or perhaps twice. Give us an hour alone before the program, instead of the program knowing 23 hours ahead of time.

It's very painful.

NRMP :thumbdown: .. should be advocating for us, not the programs.

Good luck all tomorrow --- well besides aPD, he/she already knows their incoming class.

Yes, it's awkward that they know, and unjust. I hope to match at my home institution, and I hate that my home PD who I know very well knows and I don't. Because I am not sure what my chances are, I will not open the envelope if he attends match day.

Why should he know when I don't? It's stupid and unfair.

Yes, it's awkward that they know, and unjust. I hope to match at my home institution, and I hate that my home PD who I know very well knows and I don't. Because I am not sure what my chances are, I will not open the envelope if he attends match day.

Why should he know when I don't? It's stupid and unfair.

My issue is the exact same. I want to match at my home program... I have been doing research there, and cannot really work yesterday or today, way too awkward...

I assume it is for an administrative reason. We have plenty to do right after match day, so it really is helpful to us to have the info ahead of time. That way I can prepare everything that I send to various entities within the hospital and I can start hitting send on Friday afternoon once it's "legal" to share.
Between now and your start dates we have to get you all licensed, credentialed at at least one hospital (in the case of my program 4 hospitals), some of you need visa's, into the HR system, into our residency database system, and everything else to get you ready to go by your start date. These are not easy tasks, and while you might think that June is a long way away, all of these things will end up taking up until the very last moment possible for the majority of you.
And I know...it sounds like the extra 24 hours shouldn't really make a difference, but I promise you that it's helpful to us.

Be kind to your coordinator...we spend the vast majority of our time between march and june making sure that you are ready to see your first patient and get paid to do so come July 1!

Congratulations to everyone and enjoy the feeling of being done with this crazy match process!

BOO YAH! Life is good! Time to leave behind all the stupid med student crap.

Called the program coordinator and said my grateful thanks. They actually did sound excited to hear from me.

Anyway, hope it worked out for the best folks... Time to party... peace out!

There really isn;t much need for us to get the match results a day early. It does allow us to make a nice announcement poster to hang so the residents can see right at 1PM. But, finding out today at 1PM would have been fine too.

I will say that if this upsets you, you have set the bar way too low. It's a really minor issue with no lasting impact.