Why do RNs hate on DOs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamdamiancray

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I know this sounds really out-of-the-box or something. I mean we all know as DO students, every DO related article gets full of arguments and hate (to the point where every osteopathic medicine related thing becomes an MD v. DO SDN thread LOL); however, I have noted one thing. Lots of hate comes from RNs if you did not take a look. Look here:
View attachment 293611 View attachment 293613

Members don't see this ad.

That’s the exact opposite of my clinical experience. Lots of RNs love pseudoscience, so we are like the best thing since sliced bread to many. Heck the first time I heard about cranial in the wild was a OB nurse who found out I was going DO (ye ol’ premed b2bDO) and told me how cranial had fixed her sons plagiocephaly.

I hear plenty of complaints about students and interns, and especially mean attendings. But DOs as a class are probably better liked than MDs.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users
That’s the exact opposite of my clinical experience. Lots of RNs love pseudoscience, so we are like the best thing since sliced bread to many. Heck the first time I heard about cranial in the wild was a OB nurse who found out I was going DO (ye ol’ premed b2bDO) and told me how cranial had fixed her sons plagiocephaly.

I hear plenty of complaints about students and interns, and especially mean attendings. But DOs as a class are probably better liked than MDs.
Honestly, the OMM labs are cool; I am definitely having a heck tona review of anatomy, which I really need for USMLE Step 1 and COMLEX 1. But like honestly dude, I don't think I am gonna practice OMM on a patient. I get stunning grades on the labs but like I tend to forget specific manipulations if I do not review 'em. My dad, a DO neurologist, often comes by my room and teases me, "I told you to go to St. Louis (the MD school that I had gotten into). You wouldn't be having to take this class there." As a professor once said, "Y'all DOs remind me of the hips in the 60s. Y'all made a whole new degree for taking one extra lab class. Rebellious **school inappropriate word**."

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, the OMM labs are cool; I am definitely having a heck tona review of anatomy, which I really need for USMLE Step 1 and COMLEX 1. But like honestly dude, I don't think I am gonna practice OMM on a patient. I get stunning grades on the labs but like I tend to forget specific manipulations if I do not review 'em. My dad, a DO neurologist, often comes by my room and teases me, "I told you to go to St. Louis (the MD school that I had gotten into). You wouldn't be having to take this class there." As a professor once said, "Y'all DOs remind me of the hips in the 60s. Y'all made a whole new degree for taking one extra lab class. Rebellious **school inappropriate word**."
I was not defending OMM, I have no real intention of doing it either, but RNs do love pseudoscience in my experience. Also, you should have listened to your dad, he knew what he was talking about, but I am sure you know that by now.

• Love
I was not defending OMM, I have no real intention of doing it either, but RNs do love pseudoscience in my experience. Also, you should have listened to your dad, he knew what he was talking about, but I am sure you know that by now.
Haha. Aight bro. I'm guilty already , so don't give me more of it. I don't think I can go to Missouri in my life again. Whenever I will see SLU, that acceptance would pop up in front of my eyes and remind me of so many arguments that I would not be doing in SDN or elsewhere if I deposited my money. I still think my dad somewhere appreciates that I am following his footsteps. He coated me, GW, and hugged me tightly . He teases me but still starts talking about his school days and asks for updates about what DO kids are doing nowadays.

Reactions: 1 user
Exact opposite experience I've had in clinic. RNs love DOs mainly bc a lot of the hippy dippy RNs want that sweet sweet holistic OMM.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I know this sounds really out-of-the-box or something. I mean we all know as DO students, every DO related article gets full of arguments and hate (to the point where every osteopathic medicine related thing becomes an MD v. DO SDN thread LOL); however, I have noted one thing. Lots of hate comes from RNs if you did not take a look. Look here:
View attachment 293611 View attachment 293613
In my 20+ years of teaching, I have yet to hear once from my students or cDO colleagues that RNs hate on DOs.

RNs at my residency program had no idea what a DO is. I'm not the only DO in my program and there have been many before me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

We dont hates on DOs... Many of us dont even know the difference between MD and DO. I didnt know that there are 2 types of degree till I applied this cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
Haha. Aight bro. I'm guilty already , so don't give me more of it. I don't think I can go to Missouri in my life again. Whenever I will see SLU, that acceptance would pop up in front of my eyes and remind me of so many arguments that I would not be doing in SDN or elsewhere if I deposited my money. I still think my dad somewhere appreciates that I am following his footsteps. He coated me, GW, and hugged me tightly . He teases me but still starts talking about his school days and asks for updates about what DO kids are doing nowadays.
Can't remember the last time my dad hugged me LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Where I went for my cores, every Friday from 4-6pm the hospital would announce time for employees to get free OMM from the students/residents. That room was always filled by RNs at the hospital getting OMM. They seemed pretty happy with DOs.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
You will see different personalities in the RNs... some you will absolutely hate to deal with...other that you will love... its not necessarily DO or MD thing..You just ignore these terrible personality types

Wait for real? I doubt you go into St Louis with that logic...You would have to absolutely be crazy to turn down an MD school like that.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t even think most nurses know what a doctors education consists of

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Wait for real? I doubt you go into St Louis with that logic...You would have to absolutely be crazy to turn down an MD school like that.
I wanna thank everyone for sharing their quite interesting experiences. Btw, the St. Louis acceptance letter is on my graduation post on Facebook and Instagram; the post talked about my journey with medicine and why I decided to follow my dad into becoming a D.O. instead of going to St. Louis med for the M.D. I'm past it tho by now, haha. Anyways.

• Love
Can't remember the last time my dad hugged me LOL.
It was awkward for me, too. Haha. The dean was looking at him and giving him that "Can't remember the last time my dad hugged me LOL" look.

Never heard of an RN hating on a DO, and I work with a ton of RNs and a ton of DOs. I've definitely heard of RNs hitting on DOs though, so there's that..

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
This may come as a shock to you, and I hope you're sitting down, but there are DO students who turn down MD schools, and they don't look back either.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
I have not heard any of the RNs I work with bad mouth the DO doctors. I’ve told many of them where I had interviews MD and DO and lots have been supporting my state DO school.

• Love
I don’t even think most nurses know what a doctors education consists of

Can confirm.

It's been 2-3 times now where, literally within the same conversation, a nurse will say, "Dr. So-and-So and I have worked together for years, we're best buds!" followed by, "My gosh, I didn't know you med students had to go through all that. Dr. So-and-So did you also have to pay that much to do rotations? Are you a DO or an MD? What's that mean again?"

Like, I get it, I don't expect the average person to know the ins/outs of medical education. Yawn. But I at least have a passing idea what is required to get a BSN or NP degree.

My mom still thinks DO means DOCTOR OF

idk what she means by that but she drinks a 12 Pack a day so whatever

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Everyone knows the requirement: a pulse
I always thought RN programs are quite competitive and decently hard to get into. NP programs though I agree, a pulse and access to internet/computer.

I always thought RN programs are quite competitive and decently hard to get into. NP programs though I agree, a pulse and access to internet/computer.
Um... no, they aren’t.

Um... no, they aren’t.

Depending on the program, BSN programs can be both very hard to get into and have rigorous curriculum.

That said, a nurse straight up told me, "Dang, I thought nursing school was the hardest thing there is," to my face. Like, what did you expect, that doctors are actually lazy and not as hard working? That they just pay more money for 4 years so they can boss people around?

Reactions: 1 users
Nurses at my program also have no idea what kind of hours we work as residents. I hear them complaining about working their 3rd 12 in a row. Then come back for another shift 3 days later and assume I had those days off too. I'm like sister don't even go there.

Also they have no idea what we're doing when we're not on in inpatient block. I'm pretty sure they think we're just off. Like, in the Bahamas or something.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Hate on DO's??? I don't see that anywhere except on SDN. TBH, most patients love just being rubbed the right way, so they appreciate OMM.

• Love
Just wait till OMM in 2nd semester of 2nd year, that's where you get all of the seriously questionable stuff. I mean I know that all of OMM is seriously questionable, but right now my school is teaching us things that are EXTREMELY questionable and ridiculous even by normal standards, to a point where my classmates are starting to get brazen enough to openly mock them.

mesenteric release?

This one was so funny that I was about to have a flail chest hahahaha.

• Haha
To be fair, I think he's talking about SLU. It's a good school, but it ain't WashU.

Yes, I talked about St. Louis. I only appied to four schools: 2 MD and 2 DO. 2 MD were Case Western and SLUSOM and 2 DO were NYITCOM and LECOM; I got into 3/4. Case Western waitlisted me for 6 months or so and then rejected me. Honestly, I should have applied to more schools but then I figured I want the D.O. over the M.D. I got the acceptance letter from SLUSOM and basically put it on a shelf and did nothing. So then I was like what's the cheapest option for the D.O. aside Texas cuz no way I am going for Texas humidity. Figured LECOM is cheap and so is the area. Rockin' it here so far. Medicine is tough but manageable. I've got Columbia and Princeton premeds as classmates, and it feels amazing to climb over them haha. Let's see what happens.

Reactions: 1 users
My sister got into nursing school. If she can do it anyone can.
Is she gonna go to online prac school get a white coat and say I’m better than doctors after RN school too

• Haha

My family thought MD stood for Masters Degree lol.

• Haha
Nurses at my program also have no idea what kind of hours we work as residents. I hear them complaining about working their 3rd 12 in a row. Then come back for another shift 3 days later and assume I had those days off too. I'm like sister don't even go there.

Also they have no idea what we're doing when we're not on in inpatient block. I'm pretty sure they think we're just off. Like, in the Bahamas or something.

I don't know how many times I've had that conversation while on overnight call.

I'll be up on the floor at 2 AM or something and I'll occasionally get a nurse saying: "oh I didn't know you're on nights now."

To which I'll reply: "I'm not. I've been here since 6 AM yesterday. And I'll be back for another 12 hours tomorrow." Which usually elicits either a sympathetic or horrified look.

But yeah, they seem to have very little interest in knowing what we go through and why we are the ones calling the shots.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Lol

• Haha
The thing I've heard nurses joke about is that DOs are friendlier docs. In fact it seems like when they say that it becomes a bias/self-fulfilling prophecy because then people are on the lookout for DOs being friendly.

Also agree with the pseudoscience thing. And I think people like being touched at the doc which effects their attitudes

The thing I've heard nurses joke about is that DOs are friendlier docs. In fact it seems like when they say that it becomes a bias/self-fulfilling prophecy because then people are on the lookout for DOs being friendly.

Also agree with the pseudoscience thing. And I think people like being touched at the doc which effects their attitudes
Not all touches are good, e.g. Nassar.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
It’s been the case in my experience too that many nurses are into woo. Had a whole passel of them talk about salt therapy and ions in the air.
Granted I’ve met some physicians who seem to believe in wonky herbals, etc., especially older ones. But it’s much rarer to see that.

I get the impression far more laypeople buy into the holistic DO thing than actual DOs.

Can’t wait to give some good massages
My dream is to have a room full of DOs; so I want to be the DO orthopedic surgeon, God Willing. I am gonna call a DO anesthesiologist. The residents assisting will also be DO. Condition is after the surgery, everyone has to give each other OMM, LOL!

tutoring bio and chem to kids who are currently in medical school.

A nursing student was tutoring a medical student who was studying biology and chemistry? what?

I asked them why not pursue medicine, they said they didn't want to go through all the schooling. It honestly depends ...

Everyone says that, it comes down to the fact that everyone wants to be a doctor when they crush the prereqs and then take the MCAT and get decimated.

A nursing student was tutoring a medical student who was studying biology and chemistry? what?

Everyone says that, it comes down to the fact that everyone wants to be a doctor when they crush the prereqs and then take the MCAT and get decimated.
Don't forget Gaylord Fokker. He chose to become an RN over medical school even though he aced the MCAT.

• Haha