Why do schools ask if you know anyone that goes there?

Jul 5, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Does that give you a boost?

If I barely know someone and put them down, will that help me somehow?

Lannister

7+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Casterly Rock
Status
  1. Medical Student
Maybe they do med student interviews and want to ensure that you don't get matched up with someone who knows you? Not sure. It almost certainly won't give you a boost.

Reactions: Zosa

snakeinmyboot

2+ Year Member
May 31, 2017
Andy's room
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Some schools will extend courtesy interviews to immediate relatives of faculty/students/graduates, assuming the applicant is relatively competitive. I have a close friend who interviewed at one of the Manhattan titans last cycle as a 3.5/507 ORM with no research. Her father is the chair of a department at said institution and her brother goes there. Listing someone you barely know will have no impact on your app.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zosa
About the Ads
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
  1. Medical Student
Maybe they do med student interviews and want to ensure that you don't get matched up with someone who knows you? Not sure. It almost certainly won't give you a boost.

Eh depends on who is advocating for you, but yeah generally it doesn't matter. I can also see a scenario where if they want to accept you they might go to the person you listed and be like, "so we are considering accepting X, they said they knew you. Are they actually a serial killer in disguise?"

Reactions: Lannister
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads