Why do second time applicants don't do so well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering as to why second time applicant's don't do so well. I hit upon the idea that they don't do so well in gaining acceptance was that they tended to apply after just one year. In one year they barely have any time to significantly spruce up their credentials so in fact they present with 90% of the same credentials(that are still in the school files) which means that they are essentially the same candidate. Is this why people should space the attempt to reapply by about 2 or more years if they get rejected?

Members don't see this ad.

You have stats that show second timers have a lower rate of acceptance?

I think I understand what you're trying to say, but I think the fact of the matter is that those who are applying a second time only need to brush up on 10% of their application, if that (probably just a DAT score...). So, that being said, applying the very next year is plenty of time for most to take care of those things and do very well the next time up to the plate!

In my humble opinion, even if you feel like you aren't 100% ready to reapply the second year and think you should wait one more year, apply anyways! It will show some consistency and desire on your part, plus the worst that can happen is they'll say 'no'. You're guaranteed a 'no' if you don't apply. Just my two cents....

No, but heard it from my premed dean.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not remember where I heard the story because it was long time ago, but it made a sense. As blankguy put it, it's very difficult to improve your stats significantly in a matter of one year. Schools want to know if you're reapplying, and they ask you on the AADSAS application. Schools have VERY limited seats, and they have to be VERY picky. When they see a re-applying applicant, who was rejected the prior year, they think to themselves that they had a legitimate reason to reject him/her before. I guess you should show them huge improvement when you reapply in order to be give a serious consideration.

I did some hard thinking and it seems to me that is the most plausible reason as to why the 2nd time doesn't look that promising. I wondered what 2nd time meant, I figured he(my dean) meant people who applied the following year. So I guess this must be why people enroll in masters program because it gives them a longer time horizon to improve their credentials even more.

Blankguy, "premed/predent deans" are absolutely the most useless people on the planet. They are so out of touch with how the applications process works. If you want info on your question, talk to the schools directly. Plus, I know a few people that were asked to reapply after they've raised their DAT score.

Calculus1 said:
Blankguy, "premed/predent deans" are absolutely the most useless people on the planet. They are so out of touch with how the applications process works. If you want info on your question, talk to the schools directly. Plus, I know a few people that were asked to reapply after they've raised their DAT score.

Yeah, now that I think of it, they just speak of this whole thing with generalizations.

Well, a post-bac program is extremely helpful if you dont get in the first time.

blankguy said:
I was wondering as to why second time applicant's don't do so well. I hit upon the idea that they don't do so well in gaining acceptance was that they tended to apply after just one year. In one year they barely have any time to significantly spruce up their credentials so in fact they present with 90% of the same credentials(that are still in the school files) which means that they are essentially the same candidate. Is this why people should space the attempt to reapply by about 2 or more years if they get rejected?
Fortunately, I was accepted this year during my first application cycle. I think that second time applicants have an excellent chance of gaining acceptance if they improve in weak areas. For example, most admission committees will recommend what you need to improve to become a more competitive candidate. Do what they say, and you have a very good chance of gaining admission.

There is no clear cut answer on whether or not a 2nd time applicant has a tougher time getting in or not. Every 2nd-time applicant vary on what they were lacked in during their first time applying. Lets take two made up unsuccessful applicants here applying to the same school as our example:

Applicant X:

GPA: 3.34 overall, 3.42 Science
DAT: 17 AA 16 PAT
Rec letters: Poor
Extra: none
Orientation to dentistry: none

Applicant Y:

GPA: 2.97 overall, 2.89 Science
DAT: 18 AA 18 PAT
Rec letters: Great
Extra: tons (too much socially)
Orientation to dentistry: dad's a dentist

For Applicant X, (s)he'll need to retake the DAT and shadow a dentist to increase its potential to become a competitive applicant while Applicant Y only needs to increase its GPA to become competitive. The point here is, everyone's situation is different. Some dental school WILL share with you what you need to do to better your chances next application cycle, while other dental school won't tell you ****!

In my opinion, if you get denied in your 1st attempt, then there is a reason or two that you were denied. Those red flags (whatever it is) will be noted on your application file in dental schools that you've applied to. It is more challenging for second time applicants because:

1) red flags noted in your file
2) there are many more fresh applicants each year applying that have better number than the 2nd-time applicants
3) some dental schools will look at new applicant's file first before a 2nd-time applicant's file even both application arrived at the same time
4) 2nd-time applicant have to demonstrate THAT much more to show you're qualified (adcoms are more harsh on your application or expect more)
5) it places more emotional stress on the 2nd-time applicants themselves

Advantages of being a 2nd-time applicant (looking on the brighter side):

1) the school knows you (or at least they should, if they don't then maybe that is one of your "red flags")
2) demonstrate your motivation and determination for the profession and/or that particular dental school
3) know the application process (know what schools to apply and what schools to not apply to)
4) chances to experience a Post-bac program or earning a graduate degree (MS, MA, MBS, etc)

There is no clear cut answer on "why do 2nd-time applicants have a tougher time getting in?", there's just simply much more a 2nd-time applicant needs to do than a first time applicant need to do!

:luck: <--- what is this?

Hi everyone,

I got accepted to Tufts this year. But I'm really concerned about the price of tuition there and also I don't want to move away from my family and boyfriend. I'm thinking of reapplying this year to get into a state school next year. I'm planning on re-taking my DAT and applying early. Do you think I would have a good chance of getting in for next year?

Thanks

Yah-E said:
It is more challenging for second time applicants because:

1) red flags noted in your file
2) there are many more fresh applicants each year applying that have better number than the 2nd-time applicants
3) some dental schools will look at new applicant's file first before a 2nd-time applicant's file even both application arrived at the same time
4) 2nd-time applicant have to demonstrate THAT much more to show you're qualified (adcoms are more harsh on your application or expect more)
5) it places more emotional stress on the 2nd-time applicants themselves
<--- what is this?

Not entirely True to most of the schools.

A second time application means new application (new transcripts, new recommendations, new essay), meaning AADSAS will report for a different cycle (adcoms will use your file to weigh-in how things improved, but it's for the applicant's advantage) - so many schools will not give any preference to new applicants over re-applying ones. I do agree some schools use red-flags, but they are small number of schools, I know CASE and many private schools are definetly not one of them.

Ofcourse, any student who is re-applying has to show improvements, but that's a common expectation - why else would someone re-apply without improving their stats? - unless it was due to applying really late on the previous cycle, or the class was filled - and that person didn't get off the waitlist.

Fresh applicants' stats will always create a competitive environment for any school, and there shouldn't be any cause of panic for someone who is ra-applying - unless no improvements were made on their previous stats.

So, as long as the person who is re-applying focus on meeting the schools preferred stats... there shouldn't be any worries (or stress!) for trying again.

You guys forgot to mention how long schools keep an applicant's file before tossing it. I think Uconn keeps the file for 2 yrs.