Why do some schools not use AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steve007

Nonviolent Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
seems like a real pain. is that the reason for not using, to see if we REALLY want to go there? just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been wondering this too, but my guess is that all AMCAS schools need to pay a fee to the AAMC for using the centralized service. Presumably, non-AMCAS schools can bypass this fee.

Maybe they just don't like the way AMCAS compiles data. I also wonder if Tufts, by having us print out the application for them, can bypass some fees!!;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that a few years back, when they first started to go electronic, AMCAS screwed up big time. Applicants were not able to access information, data was lost, etc... etc... In response schools ditched AMCAS and set up their own systems. Many later returns to the AMCAS system once the bugs were fixed, but some never did (NYU, Columbia, and so on...) This is, at least, what my premed advisor had told me.

Very small amount of schools are non-AMCAS nowadays, so it's no biggie.

Columbia said on their website that their admission system is not computerized. That would probably explain why they don't use AMCAS (Which transmit data electronically).

NYU doesn't accept any application until after August 4th, but AMCAS transmitted data really early. Maybe that partly explains it?