Why do you keep doing it if you're miserable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh my god can everyone please stop their bitching? Am I the only one who has found everything to be much less of a pain in the ass then everyone makes it out to be?

The MCAT was supposed to be hard--it wasn't.

Med school was supposed to be killer--first year was a joke.

Well 2nd year will be much worse--it was more work but a lot more interesting and I had a great time

Well Step 1 will kick your ass--I studied for 3 weeks, no big deal, killed it

Well 3rd year will be hell--It was certainly a lot of work and there were times that were rough, but by and large it was a great experience and it felt good to start actually taking care of people. It is EXTREMELY doable.

Well 4th year...oh who am I kidding everyone said 4th year is awesome and they're right.

Intern year--I'm expecting it to be super hard, I'm sure it will be, and I'm sure I'll survive and learn an increadible amount. Whats the big deal?

I think, for whatever reason, people in medicine (from pre-meds on up) LOVE to put themselves on the cross and bitch about how hard their life is. The only way you can actually feel that way is if you were stupid enough to not really research this profession before you went into it and didn't realize that if you're smart enough to do medicine you can make more money faster and easier doing almost anything else you're capable of. Fine. True. But if medicine really interests you then you have the best job in the world. Nothing is as fascinating to me as medicine and I can't imagine a more rewarding career. And seriously, who was suprised to find out this was a lot of work?

thank goodness for this

Members don't see this ad.

I totally disagree with that post about how easy med school and residency was. I got a very good MCAT score and I still thought that med school was hard as crap...except maybe 2nd semester of 1st year, and last 1/2 of 4th year after I was done with subI's, etc. And being an intern and resident was a little better, due to being paid, but still very hard due to the long hours and always being under somebody's thumb. But it's not quite as bad as some people on here make it out to be.

I think that there are people doing medicine who wouldn't do it if they didn't have so much student loan debt. Particularly in primary care specialties, the many demands from patients and the large mountains of paperwork, etc. that you have to fill out can make the profession not very enjoyable, IMHO. I think you either have to be in a specialty with good hours, like derm or radiology, and/or you have to have a lot of passion for patient care (if going into IM, peds, fp) and/or for doing surgery (if doing general surg, trauma surg, etc....since the hours are horrid).

I did not find med school "hard". Doing very well on important exams like the MCAT and USMLE's was never a problem for me. I comfortably passed all my classes with good grades in med school and was never put on probation at any point during medschool or residency. I always found the actual material to be very interesting but it does take a lot of time and discipline to learn it all. What is hard and makes medicine miserable? Dealing with all the other NEEDLESS BS. Everything from dealing with ridiculous amounts of bureaucratic paperwork, HMO's dictating care, decreasing reimbursements while working longer and harder, litiginous patients, defensive medicine to ward off malpractice lawyers, increasing student loans now with egregiously high interest rates, allied professionals who are multiplying like flies, nasty patients, noncompliant patients, patients who think they know more than you do, family members from hell, egotistical maniacal doctors from the planet Nebtron....shall I continue??? Learning the actual material was as easy as a walk in the park compared to all this sickening crap which is only getting worse (way more now than a decade ago when I began this illustrious process).

I think one reason people are so miserable is the lack of breaks/vacation time. You burn out after a certain point - that is natural! I can totally sympathize with everything people have written in this thread - I think these things all the time, especially the mentality of a premed college student, a first year med student, a third year, an intern, etc. It truly is a train that you get on and can't get off of. But what would make it more digestible is real vacation, real down time. After being a super hard working, top student type every since high school where you are always worried about school, it gets to a point especially in your 20s when you start to ask yourself why? what am i living for? i'm always worried about something med school related and i don't get a mental/physical break. Its so exhausting. Right now, I'm on winter break (we get two weeks off which honestly I feel like is nothing) and i still get emails from school administration about our syllabus for next rotation, required readings for next week etc and all I can think of is please, STFU. Stop sending all this stuff, give me a damn break! It gets really tiring after a while...

Medicine would be better if it could be a supplement to ones life...not this engulfing force that takes over everything and leaves you without personal fulfillment and real family/friends life.

Reactions: 1 user
I think one reason people are so miserable is the lack of breaks/vacation time. You burn out after a certain point - that is natural! I can totally sympathize with everything people have written in this thread - I think these things all the time, especially the mentality of a premed college student, a first year med student, a third year, an intern, etc. It truly is a train that you get on and can't get off of. But what would make it more digestible is real vacation, real down time. After being a super hard working, top student type every since high school where you are always worried about school, it gets to a point especially in your 20s when you start to ask yourself why? what am i living for? i'm always worried about something med school related and i don't get a mental/physical break. Its so exhausting. Right now, I'm on winter break (we get two weeks off which honestly I feel like is nothing) and i still get emails from school administration about our syllabus for next rotation, required readings for next week etc and all I can think of is please, STFU. Stop sending all this stuff, give me a damn break! It gets really tiring after a while...

Medicine would be better if it could be a supplement to ones life...not this engulfing force that takes over everything and leaves you without personal fulfillment and real family/friends life.

Perhaps but how much vacation time do you think Joe 6 pack gets annually? Believe me, regardless of how hard you study, your life is easier than someone who didn't have the opportunities you have, who toils away for minimum wage and 2 weeks of vacation a year (perhaps unpaid and sometimes not taken because they can't afford to take time off).

I have a lovely young women in my office, single mother, little education and even littler prospects for one. She works hard every day, is always on time, never leaves early and gets no paid vacation. I never hear her complain about being burned out or anything for that matter. That is an affliction of the privileged.

Or perhaps you would relate better to me. I'm in private practice. I get no paid vacation; if I don't work and see patients, I am not earning money. Clearly I could take vacation whenever I wanted, but there are people whose income depends on me (not the least of which is me), malpractice to pay, overhead - these things don't stop just because I'm not there. Most adults don't take extended vacations, at least not more than 2 weeks at a stretch.

Believe me, regardless of how hard you study, your life is easier than someone who didn't have the opportunities you have, .

do you really believe that? if you do you are really naive

I don't think its fair to compare what we do to a lower level position. it would be a more fair comparison to compare our lifestyles to that of people w college, maybe even some graduate work.

Perhaps but how much vacation time do you think Joe 6 pack gets annually? Believe me, regardless of how hard you study, your life is easier than someone who didn't have the opportunities you have, who toils away for minimum wage and 2 weeks of vacation a year (perhaps unpaid and sometimes not taken because they can't afford to take time off)....

...in private practice. I get no paid vacation; ...I could take vacation whenever I wanted, but there are people whose income depends on me (not the least of which is me), malpractice to pay, overhead - these things don't stop just because I'm not there. Most adults don't take extended vacations, at least not more than 2 weeks at a stretch.
I don't think its fair to compare what we do to a lower level position. it would be a more fair comparison to compare our lifestyles to that of people w college, maybe even some graduate work.
I'm not miserable at what I do. I generally think I have a more satisfying job then pulling a factory lever, etc... But, I also am very much aware it all depends on the "eye of the beholder". I suspect, if most HS grads that get "good jobs" behave in a fiscally responsible fashion... they would be far better off then many of us that have put in so much swet, blood, tears (yes I cried) to get the opportunity to work long hours, afraid we'll be sued, afraid we'll kill someone, afraid we'll contract a disease, etc... Yes, the compensation is ~OK. But, we are responsible for the "clients' " lives and our staffs' "livelihoods", not to mention our neglected families. Even with all that, I don't believe I could find fulfillment in a gas station, factory, UPS truck...

I am reposting a link to add to the conversation. I hope by reposting this link I am not violating "TOS".....

http://www.er-doctor.com/doctor_income.html

JAD

I'm not miserable at what I do. I generally think I have a more satisfying job then pulling a factory lever, etc... But, I also am very much aware it all depends on the "eye of the beholder". I suspect, if most HS grads that get "good jobs" behave in a fiscally responsible fashion... they would be far better off then many of us that have put in so much swet, blood, tears (yes I cried) to get the opportunity to work long hours, afraid we'll be sued, afraid we'll kill someone, afraid we'll contract a disease, etc... Yes, the compensation is ~OK. But, we are responsible for the "clients' " lives and our staffs' "livelihoods", not to mention our neglected families. Even with all that, I don't believe I could find fulfillment in a gas station, factory, UPS truck...

I am reposting a link to add to the conversation. I hope by reposting this link I am not violating "TOS".....

JAD

That's an interesting comparison, but I have to wonder if that's an apples to apples comparison, ya know? UPS drivers are some of the highest high school diploma earners around. I looked it up, and from the UPS website itself, it sounds like $50K is more realistic. But if you go to the Census Bureau, per capita income for high school grads is $25K. So, by choosing a UPS driver, the person writing the blog is choosing one of the highest earning jobs for that demographic. So, instead of comparing a UPS driver to an internist or FP doc, why not compare him to a rad onc doc who makes ~400K in practice? That'd be a fairer comparison. Compare a Walmart worker's $11.00/hr. to your internist earning $180,000/yr., and your likely to come to the same conclusion: Physicians are some of the best paid people in America. (Barring niche people like sports stars, movie stars, and CEOs/management of major companies.)

JAD

That analysis shows that the doctor is ahead of the UPS driver by more than 1 million at age 45, and that's despite getting to spend four years in college rather than work a 9-5 job straight through. The whole "well, I worked so hard every year that I can assume I would have made 120k" is pretty shaky. That assumes unlimited overtime opportunities, and it's also probably wrong on the hours. That dude must have had one horrible college experience if he worked that many hours.

To me that analysis makes the opposite point. It makes an optimistic assumption about salary straight out of high school, yet even with that assumption, the average doctor comes out substantially ahead by retirement.

I do believe that.

I don't deny that our lives are difficult and that we are faced with a lot of sociopolitical changes and disruptions to the way we practice.

But c'mon...I've had the advantage of an upper middle class upbringing, a college education, I get paid 6 figures to do something I love. I don't spend all day out in the 115 degree temps digging ditches, directing traffic, mining coal. I have a modicum of respect from my patients and colleagues and I don't worry about whether or not I am going to be able to feed my family.

nope's complaints about his horrible life because he "only" got 2 weeks off at Christmas are insensitive to the vast majority of Americans who work for an hourly wage and do not have the advantages that we all have. I still say it smacks of entitlement even if I do compare him to college grads (who BTW aren't flush with paid vacation either).

Two weeks? Stop whining, seriously! I got 36 hours and when anyone asks me how my Christmas was I can honestly say, "Perfect! Best day I could have asked for!" Growing up my father could never take more than a long weekend off at a time - he is self-employed just like WS.

Surviving (thriving) in med school and residency is all about taking advantage of every moment you have and enjoying the hell out of them. I was invited out to a late dinner and drinks a week ago and it meant that I would be up later than my usual bed time before an early morning. I went, had a couple margaritas, laughed, joked, vented with my fellow interns. I was tired the next AM, but felt just a little happier than I would have if I hadn't gone. Friends of mine often get together to go out dancing and often I find that I'm on call the next day or just can't go, so I organize pre-dancing dinner and we all eat, I get to have some fun and then put myself to bed at a reasonable hour before a 30 hour day. My friends and I take turns cooking for eachother post-call - one friend had the exact opposite q4 call schedule that I did, so we each planned dinner (take-out or homemade) for the two of us on the day the other was post-call. Another friend was on call for Christmas, so I brought her toll-house pie and a small gift to the hospital during the evening. We sat and talked and laughed for an hour over pie (I can't believe her pager was silent for an hour!). It didn't matter that we were in the hospital or she was working, it was just the two of us being our usual selves.

Fair enough. I have a Master's degree in statistics. I work in an office doing statistics. I got 1 1/2 days off for Christmas and get 1 1/2 days off for New Years. I got 1 day off for Thanksgiving. I get 8 total paid holidays off per year. I have no paid vacation or sick days right now because I'm on probation until I've worked at the job for 6 months.

I do believe that...I've had the advantage of an upper middle class upbringing, a college education, I get paid 6 figures to do something I love. I don't spend all day out in the 115 degree temps digging ditches, directing traffic, mining coal. I have a modicum of respect from my patients and colleagues and I don't worry about whether or not I am going to be able to feed my family.

+1. :cool::thumbup:

The problem is you. You are a victim of yourself. There's no escaping you.
This doesn't exclude negative impact on your wellbeing from working as a doctor with patients and superiors.

But those who are miserable in medicine might have been just as miserable outside of medicine, due to e.g unfulfilled needs of external validation.

There are pros and cons to everything. I spent a great deal of time working as a laborer at numerous positions, and I can honestly say that there is a benefit to having no final responsibility for anything, set hours, and a sense of fulfillment when you actually get on top of your work. That being said, the pay was low, and I doubt that it would have continued to be very fulfilling to do (and perhaps physically difficult to keep up as well). Being a physician essentially inverts the pros and cons. I am progressively more responsible for everything, I have wild hours, and I am never on top of anything. Yet, the pay (atleast in the future) is potentially very lucrative, and I really never have a desire to go find something more meaningful. I really never get bored, and something is always mentally stimulating (even if I'm getting really tired of being stimulated at the moment when it occurs).

In our society, you are always up against someone's whim. As a resident it's your attending. As an attending, it's the government, the insurance companies, the patients, the alignment of the stars, etc.... As a worker, it's your boss, and often still the government, your clients, etc...

There is a strong argument for diminishing the vast beauracratic mess that our illustrious leaders have created, but it would be a bit crazy to think that the mess is limited to medicine.

I really never get bored, and something is always mentally stimulating (even if I'm getting really tired of being stimulated at the moment when it occurs).

The bolded made me laugh.

But really, do you find a K+ of 3.3 stimulating at 4:30 AM? 'Cause I don't...

I do believe that.

I don't. I'm from a lower class background and I absolutely don't believe it. Everyone told me dropping out of high school was taking the easy way out. Guess what... It is! It is a lot easier having a life where you work 40 hours a week or less, get stoned all the time, and drift. I used to live that life, so I know. A lot of people I know still do. The guys who didn't bother to go to college but actually had a decent brain still work far less than me, have far less stress, and make on the order of $100k/year. That includes my high school dropout cousins in construction and my high school friend I taught how to program a computer who never went to college (instead spending time in jail for computer hacking).

I don't have much sympathy for single moms. Getting pregnant, carrying a baby to term, and keeping that child is three simple decisions that person made to have a child. To have a child, you don't have to work many years to be top of your undergrad class. You don't need to study for months to get a great MCAT score. You don't need to score well on Step I and never see the outside of a hospital during internship.

Now you need to support a child? There's welfare, food stamps, etc... I know all about this because all of the women in my family receive public assistance. None of them have a job that's anywhere near as difficult as ours. I mean really, you think a secretary's life is as difficult as ours?!

But c'mon...I've had the advantage of an upper middle class upbringing

I didn't, but that has nothing to do with this. Just because you grew up poor doesn't mean you don't have access to the same opportunities.

I don't spend all day out in the 115 degree temps digging ditches, directing traffic, mining coal.

Most of my family works driving trucks or doing construction. They make good money. Most of them don't work over 40 hours a week, but the ones that do make great money. They drink a lot of beer and the younger ones snort a lot of coke. The ones that work 40 hours a week have nice houses and cars.

My buddy from Montana and I talk about this a lot. His buddies back there throw pipe all day. They work 40 hours a week and make great money for the area. You don't even have to go to college. Go to school for a four year engineering degree and you're easily over $100k/year. Live in the remote places or up in Alaska/Canada and you get a lot of vacation time. I met one of them out in Thailand scuba diving--6 months/year of vacation he got just so he kept the pipes from freezing in the winter.

I don't worry about whether or not I am going to be able to feed my family.

Who worries about this?! I've been working and living with poor Americans for a long time and the only people who have that concern are those who are very mentally ill or substance addicted. Even my mom who can't hold a job and lives in an apartment that reminds of the third world gets her food stamps and her SSI check.

nope's complaints about his horrible life because he "only" got 2 weeks off at Christmas are insensitive to the vast majority of Americans who work for an hourly wage and do not have the advantages that we all have.

I'd love an hourly wage. It would be really funny if residencies had to pay us time and a half for everything over 40 hours a week :laugh::laugh::laugh: How about double pay over 60 hours a week? :laugh:

I think for the ridiculous hours and stress we take on we should get more vacation. I know when I choose a residency and specialty, lifestyle is a big concern for me. I like to work hard. But I like to play hard too. Medicine shouldn't mean throwing the entire rest of your life away. 80 hours/week and 2 weeks/year of vacation to me is throwing your life away. Almost nobody else in society is expected to do that.

I'd love an hourly wage. It would be really funny if residencies had to pay us time and a half for everything over 40 hours a week :laugh::laugh::laugh: How about double pay over 60 hours a week? :laugh:

I think for the ridiculous hours and stress we take on we should get more vacation. I know when I choose a residency and specialty, lifestyle is a big concern for me. I like to work hard. But I like to play hard too. Medicine shouldn't mean throwing the entire rest of your life away. 80 hours/week and 2 weeks/year of vacation to me is throwing your life away. Almost nobody else in society is expected to do that.

QFT.

I think it's tangentially related that back in the "good old days" an average wage-earner in the United States could earn enough for a family to live comfortably. Now with two wage-earners people feel pinched. And a lot of people here are comparing how difficult different social classes have it. We all have it harder than it should be because we have a parasitical system taking the earnings from the productive classes and giving it the usleess. And I am not even talking about welfare moms. Trillions on wars, Trillions for bankster bailouts, Medmal lawyers... (And don't you lawyers give me that story about helping ensure high standards :mad:).

We all work hard and people are often treated like cogs in a machine and it's a shame. It's also a shame that we attack each other for the crumbs off the table of the real sociopaths. So yeah, it's crap that someone only gets two weeks a year of vacation and people are being run around like tools. But remember when you applied to medical school? They didn't ask you if you realized how lucky you were not to be in a shoe factory in China making some souless capitalist rich. They didn't ask you if you havd the gumption to work 80+ hours a week to proove that you wanted to "help people" :laugh: They asked you what the last book you read for pleasure was. The asked you what you do for fun :laugh:

They asked for a complete person, but they really wanted a tool. As has been mentiond by other people, it's like an abusive family continuing the cycle. That's why some people are angry and resent their job. They feel lied to.

It's not that there are other people worse off than you, because as always there are kids in China who are starving.

The problem is you. You are a victim of yourself. There's no escaping you.
:laugh:

QFT.
We all work hard and people are often treated like cogs in a machine and it's a shame. It's also a shame that we attack each other for the crumbs off the table of the real sociopaths. So yeah, it's crap that someone only gets two weeks a year of vacation and people are being run around like tools. But remember when you applied to medical school? They didn't ask you if you realized how lucky you were not to be in a shoe factory in China making some souless capitalist rich. They didn't ask you if you havd the gumption to work 80+ hours a week to proove that you wanted to "help people" :laugh: They asked you what the last book you read for pleasure was. The asked you what you do for fun :laugh:

They asked for a complete person, but they really wanted a tool. As has been mentiond by other people, it's like an abusive family continuing the cycle. That's why some people are angry and resent their job. They feel lied to.

Agreed. They seem to be going for these well-rounded people who (allegedly) have all these outside interests. All that means is that they either have liars who are faking their interests to pad their resume or they have Renaissance (wo)men who are miserable about spending most of their time on medicine. :laugh:

Perhaps but how much vacation time do you think Joe 6 pack gets annually? Believe me, regardless of how hard you study, your life is easier than someone who didn't have the opportunities you have, who toils away for minimum wage and 2 weeks of vacation a year (perhaps unpaid and sometimes not taken because they can't afford to take time off).

I have a lovely young women in my office, single mother, little education and even littler prospects for one. She works hard every day, is always on time, never leaves early and gets no paid vacation. I never hear her complain about being burned out or anything for that matter. That is an affliction of the privileged.

Or perhaps you would relate better to me. I'm in private practice. I get no paid vacation; if I don't work and see patients, I am not earning money. Clearly I could take vacation whenever I wanted, but there are people whose income depends on me (not the least of which is me), malpractice to pay, overhead - these things don't stop just because I'm not there. Most adults don't take extended vacations, at least not more than 2 weeks at a stretch.

Life can always be worse. None of us in medicine should be self-pitying. Life was much harder in general for most people 200 years ago, it is harder for the vast majority of the world's population today, and it is vastly harder for some individuals even in our own society who suffer extreme abuse, injustice, privation, disease, etc.

That said, while vacation is not an entitlement, I do think a more flexible vacation policy with accordingly (downward) adjusted salaries would improve productivity (where thats output/salary). it is strange that much of the developed world (almost all of Europe) has legally mandatory paid vacation of from 2/3 to 6 weeks, yet the US has none. Not asking for a law, but questioning a work culture and economy that is so begrudging of 2-3 wks/year yet this supposedly hyper-efficient system has failed to prevent the country from going into debt, housing market collapsing, recession, etc.

I'm an intern. We do complain. We work long hours, get told what to do by seniors who are getting told what to do by attendings who are getting told what to do by insurance companies. I believe that even though we complain, we keep doing it because at the end of the day, being a doctor is still the best job in the world.

Everyone says residency gets better. I've been in residency for 3 years and it still sucks balls. Like hairy sweaty smelly balls. Some people tell me it gets better after residency, some say it's worse. All I really know is that medicine made me unhappy for nearly a decade and it never got better, only worse.

Everyone says residency gets better. I've been in residency for 3 years and it still sucks balls. Like hairy sweaty smelly balls. Some people tell me it gets better after residency, some say it's worse. All I really know is that medicine made me unhappy for nearly a decade and it never got better, only worse.

Well to be fair filter, you are a surgical resident.:D

I believe it as well. I worked in the "real world" for 9 years before returning to school...and see people that are WAY less fortunate than anyone that ever went to college (or finished high school) on a daily basis.

We have it much better.

Our work may be more stressful or more demanding, and we may have more responsibility, but the thing is, we CHOSE this. I often note those who complain the most are the folks that never stopped going to school.

Many never get a choice, have jobs that are much more stressful, don't pay much at all, and are very, very dangerous.

(Note: I'm one that believes one can accomplish anything in this country if they put their mind to it, but sometimes...life happens, and you're screwed)

You have to be strong to you purpose. Mine is BUSINESS. It is to late for me to say "why did i go to med school", even though my parents forced me to do it (yes I come from that part of the world).

I have alwasy seen myself as an entrapruneur at heart, and I tend to have freinds who are doctors but also own several businesses on the side. Here are three examples:-
1) My girlfriends uncle is a GI doc in private practice; he co-owns a hotel and owns enough real estate in Florida to start his own town.
2) My training partner at the gym works for Shell Corp; the building he works in is leased to Shell by a group of doctors that own it.
3)During a Sprots Med rotation, I was introduced to and Orthopedic surgeon ( suprisingley humble man) who owns 12 resturant franchises.

These are my idols, these are not just dreams or rumors but true facts. The Purpose warms the blood that courses my veins.

You have to have interests outside medicine, my escape just happens to be starting businesses, when the time is rigth!!.

You have to be strong to you purpose. Mine is BUSINESS. It is to late for me to say "why did i go to med school", even though my parents forced me to do it (yes I come from that part of the world).

I have alwasy seen myself as an entrapruneur at heart, and I tend to have freinds who are doctors but also own several businesses on the side. Here are three examples:-
1) My girlfriends uncle is a GI doc in private practice; he co-owns a hotel and owns enough real estate in Florida to start his own town.
2) My training partner at the gym works for Shell Corp; the building he works in is leased to Shell by a group of doctors that own it.
3)During a Sprots Med rotation, I was introduced to and Orthopedic surgeon ( suprisingley humble man) who owns 12 resturant franchises.

These are my idols, these are not just dreams or rumors but true facts. The Purpose warms the blood that courses my veins.

You have to have interests outside medicine, my escape just happens to be starting businesses, when the time is rigth!!.

Wow! Just...wow.

Good for you!