Why do you love peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manta

queen of yogurt
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

I set today as my personal deadline for my peds vs. medicine decision. I've done both sub-i's and am still no closer than before.

What about pediatrics do you absolutely love? I'd like to hear what positive things you have to say about your specialty! I've heard the "I don't like taking care of problems that people created for themselves" reason for peds vs. medicine, but this doesn't really apply to me. I like taking care of both kids and adults.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone -

I set today as my personal deadline for my peds vs. medicine decision. I've done both sub-i's and am still no closer than before.

What about pediatrics do you absolutely love? I'd like to hear what positive things you have to say about your specialty! I've heard the "I don't like taking care of problems that people created for themselves" reason for peds vs. medicine, but this doesn't really apply to me. I like taking care of both kids and adults.

Thanks! :)
Why not Med-Peds or Family if you truly love both fields? Do you like the day to day work of one specialty more than the other? Have you done clinic work in both fields and had a preference with that?

I know a lot of people talk about going into peds because they dislike adults or because they get frustrated with adults' self-inflicted illnesses. I like peds for a lot of reasons. A major one being that I know that the difference I make in the life of a child will continue to have positive effects for not only his/her entire lifetime, but for that of the families as well. As a parent I know that profound impact a child's serious illness has on families. When we can do something to either help resolve that illness or at least restore some good measure of function/quality of life/etc, it is a true gift to the child and to the family. Seemingly little things, like immunizations and car seat safety education and proper nutrition, can have a huge impact. :)

I also just really enjoy learning about a lot of the illnesses, etc, that children face. Why they are more interesting to me than adult illnesses, I'm not so sure.

Good luck with your decision. :) I'm sure if you are truly torn between the 2 fields that you will be happy whatever you decide. Either way, you'll be doing something you enjoy.

Reactions: 1 user
I love peds because A) any specialty where I can wear a Dr. Seuss tie and get away with it is a good one B)last night when I was on overnight call, I was holding a sleeping baby while working C)They are so darn cute D)They get better....most of the time E)Their problems are more straightforward....most of the time F)Bribery works....and is a good technique

Members don't see this ad :)
B)last night when I was on overnight call, I was holding a sleeping baby while working

this is also one of my favorites.

med/peds and family are both great programs as well. we have a med/peds residency at my home institution, and those i've talked with are very happy with their decision. no adults for me though.

wow, I'm glad to hear someone is in the same boat as me! I'm a little freaked out by people already posting their interview invites. I haven't even submitted my application yet, I needed to decide first! If you see my other posts, I've thought about family med, med-peds, and anesthesia recently (please don't hold it against me!).

I'm starting to lean towards Peds (actually on an anesthesia rotation right now but I have found I have gravitated towards the peds cases...no anesthesia for me though, I find that I really wish we could be interacting with the kids and family more). One thing about pediatrics--if you love working with adults, you still do that A LOT on peds; you are always talking to the parents. I know it's a lot different from having them as patients but that is one simple thing I have realized recently that is starting to make the decision easier.

wow, I'm glad to hear someone is in the same boat as me! I'm a little freaked out by people already posting their interview invites. I haven't even submitted my application yet, I needed to decide first! If you see my other posts, I've thought about family med, med-peds, and anesthesia recently (please don't hold it against me!).

I'm starting to lean towards Peds (actually on an anesthesia rotation right now but I have found I have gravitated towards the peds cases...no anesthesia for me though, I find that I really wish we could be interacting with the kids and family more). One thing about pediatrics--if you love working with adults, you still do that A LOT on peds; you are always talking to the parents. I know it's a lot different from having them as patients but that is one simple thing I have realized recently that is starting to make the decision easier.

Go PEDS!!!

thanks guys! i like reading your positive comments! :)

the reason i'm not doing family is that my plan is to subspecialize in infectious diseases. i was seriously considering med-peds for a while, but i doubt that i would be able to match within the geographic areas of my choosing, which is very important to me.

still no closer to a decision - just seeking out as many opinions as possible.

thanks guys! i like reading your positive comments! :)

the reason i'm not doing family is that my plan is to subspecialize in infectious diseases. i was seriously considering med-peds for a while, but i doubt that i would be able to match within the geographic areas of my choosing, which is very important to me.

still no closer to a decision - just seeking out as many opinions as possible.
Okay, this'll make it easy.

Our infectious diseases are cuter than their infectious diseases. :laugh:

(ok, I thought it was funny)

I had the same "problem" that I liked both children AND adults (because, what's the big difference? The kids will - hopefully - turn into adults, and every adult has been a child before).
One little piece of advice that helped justify my decision for Peds is that the percentage of physicians who love their job was greater in Peds than in IM in one report. And it helps that I`m a big kid myself (and not afraid to admit it).
If all else fails, you can still aplly for both and buy yourself a few more months to decide. But I agree, you may probably be happy whichever way you go!

The things mentioned on this thread - disliking adults and their health problems, liking the positive attitude of children, and enjoying the chance to interact with children were all major aspects of why I originally went into pediatrics.

Over 25 years later, what makes me most glad that I went into the field (other than the fact I still don't care to take care of adults) is that I truly believe that we need advocates for the health care of children. I am grateful that when I participate in national committees and health policy, I do so representing the interests of children who have, both literally and in terms of the number of advocates, the smallest voice in most health care policy debate processes. This allows me to shout a bit louder. In a typical poiicy committee that I participate in, 80-90% of the discussion is about the effects of the policy on adults and their health needs, the cost of delivering health care to adults, etc. I like to be able to have learned what is unique about children and to be their advocates, as individuals and as a group.

This is fresh in my mind, because, as an "oldbear" I spend a large amount of time these days doing public policy type activities. Pediatricians are tremendously respected for their role and for advocating for children. The AAP isn't a perfect organization, but we can be proud of its role in speaking up for children.

Pediatrics isn't for everyone, and med/peds is a great alternative for many who enjoy both children and adults and are interested in fellowships or hospital-type care as well as general practice of medicine and pediatrics. But, I know of very, very few people who have ever regretted doing a pediatric residency. Sure, some don't like where their career ended up. Some may envy those who make more money, etc, but few regret training in pediatrics.

Don't let others decide this for you. It's not that bad to drive an old Subaru. I like mine just fine.

So, think about whether kids are your favorite patients. Think about whether a career of fighting the system, and occasionally parents, for the sake of kids is what you want to do. Then go for it!

The things mentioned on this thread - disliking adults and their health problems, liking the positive attitude of children, and enjoying the chance to interact with children were all major aspects of why I originally went into pediatrics.

Over 25 years later, what makes me most glad that I went into the field (other than the fact I still don't care to take care of adults) is that I truly believe that we need advocates for the health care of children. I am grateful that when I participate in national committees and health policy, I do so representing the interests of children who have, both literally and in terms of the number of advocates, the smallest voice in most health care policy debate processes. This allows me to shout a bit louder. In a typical poiicy committee that I participate in, 80-90% of the discussion is about the effects of the policy on adults and their health needs, the cost of delivering health care to adults, etc. I like to be able to have learned what is unique about children and to be their advocates, as individuals and as a group.

This is fresh in my mind, because, as an "oldbear" I spend a large amount of time these days doing public policy type activities. Pediatricians are tremendously respected for their role and for advocating for children. The AAP isn't a perfect organization, but we can be proud of its role in speaking up for children.

Pediatrics isn't for everyone, and med/peds is a great alternative for many who enjoy both children and adults and are interested in fellowships or hospital-type care as well as general practice of medicine and pediatrics. But, I know of very, very few people who have ever regretted doing a pediatric residency. Sure, some don't like where their career ended up. Some may envy those who make more money, etc, but few regret training in pediatrics.

Don't let others decide this for you. It's not that bad to drive an old Subaru. I like mine just fine.

So, think about whether kids are your favorite patients. Think about whether a career of fighting the system, and occasionally parents, for the sake of kids is what you want to do. Then go for it!

reading this post is another step in a line of experiences, thoughts, readings, discussions, etc etc that are cementing my plans to enter peds...thanks! :)

why do i like peds?
1. Your patients aren't there because of illnesses they brought on themselves by lifestyle choices (exception, a few of the adolescents, but they're still figuring things out/rebelling against the world)
2. Your patients don't have hidden agendas or are drug seeking
3. Most importantly, NO SMELLY/DEMENTED/WHY AM I EVEN DOING ALL OF THESE INVASIVE PROCEDURES, THE GUY IS 95 AND ON HIS DEATH BED/RUDE/SMELLY OLD PEOPLE!!

Kids are just worth it, ya know?:D

I can pick my patients up and turn them over to do an exam because they don't weigh more than twice as much as I do...

1. Variety- newborn is different from a toddler, who is different from a kindergardener, who is different from an adolescent, etc.
2. You see a lot of the weird stuff early
3. Children's hospitals, in general, have better staff and facilities than other hospitals. They care more about their patients. I love the fact that at my school kids can order whatever they want (obviously, within limits) for food.
4. Lots of gorgeous female nurses, colleagues, and staff, and they're friendly- it's great to be a guy in peds, huh?

Wow. It is great to read all these responses. I don't have much to add but here are a couple of thoughts. So I'm heading into peds because

1) Kids can rebound from really serious illnesses - I'm in the midst of my PICU rotation and I'm just amazed at what kids can do. They may come in intubated, requiring ECMO, surgery, etc.... and soon they are in mom's arms playing. True, we'll see many sad stories of kids who we can't save but there will be just as many who rebound.

2) There is still so much we don't know. A professor once told me that he didn't like peds because it was too simplistic. I think it is in the eye of the beholder. So many of our genetic based diseases have no concrete pathways. I'm excited by the fact that we can take part in helping to figure this out. Also lots of our current treatments are good but are they the best possible? Perhaps for some disease states but not all...

3) Parents / Guardians are part of the process - There is something exciting about empowering parents / guardians to know more about their child's illness. Or sometimes they are too traumatized that we need to help out (going back to #1)

4) And on the warm-fuzzy front: It is great to watch a kid open their eyes after being on heavy sedation or give that cough after extubation (yes, I'm on my PICU sub-I) or when you can see the kids you take care of grow up or when you can see the level of maturity a kid has after being diagnosed with a tough medical disease or ...

The decision to go into peds is truly personal as mentioned in prior posts. I've been fortunate to meet the right mentors at the right times and I'm just a happier 4th year med student now that I'm doing something that I want to do now and 20 years down the line.

Andy