Why do you think male hygienists can't get work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KAIN DDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for honest real opinions regarding this question. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I know one who is graduating with their RDH and already has a job lined up.

I not sure about the assumption that male hygienist cannot get work. But I have some facts to add to the discussion.

I have taught in dental hygiene program for over 20 years during that time our program has only had 3 men in the program. Of those 3 guys 2 are working and the third moved out of the area and we have lost contact.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, let me keep it real without hurting anyone's feelings or being offensive. I have practiced dentistry for a good number of years. I would not say that male hygienists can't get work, but for some reason a lot of dental practitioners say they just prefer females working for them, whether they're dental assistants or dental hygienists. Just like there are male nurses, I do believe the number of male hygienists will grow over time. Don't think the numbers will ever be alarmingly high, but more will go into hygiene. I, personally, would never have a problem hiring a male hygienist. If he had the experience, credentials and did a good job, no problem. I also believe it's how we view gender with respect to certain professions. Change is always good, so don't be discouraged. Let me add that years ago I had the opportunity to work with male dental assistants, and I had to pray, lol!!!!! They tried to boss me around, take over the patients and I had to report them. Luckily, they were immediately replaced. It was a serious power struggle and they constantly compared my work to male dentists they had previously worked with. They would time my extractions and make comments if if took me longer than 1 minute to get a tooth out. Enough said. I can laugh about it, now. Your post is interesting. Are you a hygienst?

As a teenager, the highlight of the dental visit was the attractive hygienist. Unless I'm going to work in San Fran, I'm sticking with XX staff. It's good for business.

Now that's funny and spoken in pure truth, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think you pretty much summed up what I wanted to say to the original poster but didn't want to be offensive.

Ok, let me keep it real without hurting anyone's feelings or being offensive. I have practiced dentistry for a good number of years. I would not say that male hygienists can't get work, but for some reason a lot of dental practitioners say they just prefer females working for them, whether they're dental assistants or dental hygienists. Just like there are male nurses, I do believe the number of male hygienists will grow over time. Don't think the numbers will ever be alarmingly high, but more will go into hygiene. I, personally, would never have a problem hiring a male hygienist. If he had the experience, credentials and did a good job, no problem. I also believe it's how we view gender with respect to certain professions. Change is always good, so don't be discouraged. Let me add that years ago I had the opportunity to work with male dental assistants, and I had to pray, lol!!!!! They tried to boss me around, take over the patients and I had to report them. Luckily, they were immediately replaced. It was a serious power struggle and they constantly compared my work to male dentists they had previously worked with. They would time my extractions and make comments if if took me longer than 1 minute to get a tooth out. Enough said. I can laugh about it, now. Your post is interesting. Are you a hygienst?

Wow very interesting point honestly. Yes i am, and the sexism I'm expieriencing is making me a very angry, nasty bitter, and aggressive person! I started arguments online unbeknownst to me at the time bc I have begun to dislike people. You must understand b4 u judge that I have a career with a skill set, which by the way I am very good at bc I am male, and am an effective communicator. These traits give me the advantage to be faster, efficient, and great at patient education. All of which dentists tell me their females don't have, sorry for the arrogance.

I have since proven this issue by observations and experiencing other disparaging events that there is a serious problem with northern nj, and NYC. It's an old fashion, snobby, uptight attitude that prevents me from working. I went to school to get a career, and be able to feed myself, and take care of my wife. Not to be on unemployment, back in school, emotional drained, giving my wife false promises about the future bc some snob finds it scary, wierd or whatever their reason is not to hire me. Oh the The stories I could tell you. Oh do have proof of the above mentioned statements.

The funniest thing is a dentist could make a lot of money with me, bc I like working in multiple operatories, being fast, selling dentistry, etc. to bad. It's cool I'm too good to be just a hygienist forever. Now I guess I understand why the dentists at my hygiene school said "you should become a dentist"

Now regarding yr issue that you spoke of before, I would have firmly put them in there place and teach them what doctor means, lol in various unkind ways.

As for me, I respect any doctor, and make sure I don't step on toes especially when doing pt education. What kind of male dr. Is intimidated by men in the work place? The one who wife beats him?

Last edited:
Now that's funny and spoken in pure truth, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think you pretty much summed up what I wanted to say to the original poster but didn't want to be offensive.

Thanks for the humor dr.s I appreciate it!

Kain DDS, very good post. One thing I have learned in this field is that there is always room for growth and to move upward. You seem to be very confident and with that quality, it never matters what people think of you. As long as you do your job and do it well serving others and upholding eithical standards, gender doesn't matter. This may also be an avenue for you to become a dentist. Keep doing what you're doing and in the end as long as you're happy, that's the only thing that matters. Good original post.

Kain DDS, very good post. One thing I have learned in this field is that there is always room for growth and to move upward. You seem to be very confident and with that quality, it never matters what people think of you. As long as you do your job and do it well serving others and upholding eithical standards, gender doesn't matter. This may also be an avenue for you to become a dentist. Keep doing what you're doing and in the end as long as you're happy, that's the only thing that matters. Good original post.

True, I have learned a great lesson that negative events atleast for me are a positive, meaning they teach you a lot and can shift you, and yr life into a better direction. Because before this I wasn't going to go to dental school, now it's all I can think abt? Lol thanks

True, I have learned a great lesson that negative events atleast for me are a positive, meaning they teach you a lot and can shift you, and yr life into a better direction. Because before this I wasn't going to go to dental school, now it's all I can think abt? Lol thanks

Try applying at a community health center. I hire male dental assistants all the time, but have yet to have a male RDH applicant. Northern NJ and NYC are traditionally bastions of male dominated practices....most of whom prefer women working for them. Also, with the economic downturn, many area dentists have elected to do their own hygiene. I have to say that I would understand that female dentists might shy away from hiring male assistants/hygienist for a variety of other reasons.

Many years ago, I was being assisted by a fairly new male employee who chose to wear one of those white "Ben Casey" type of jackets. I was explaining a proposed plan of treatment to a very difficult patient and she turn to him and asks (in Spanish), "What do you think, Doctor?" I stood up, looked over at him and said....OK, you go take care of her. The shocked look on his face was priceless. I was merely going to get another assistant to provide a better translation than my Spanglish offered.

well bro, thats what happens when you enter into a female dominated profession. dont sweat it, it comes with your choice. the only reason i may not hire a male hygienist is, like jobs in the service industry, the best places have hot bartenders and goodlooking help. The male would have to show exemplary enthusiasm, ability to sell, and generally be a superstar to beat out his female competition. Welcome to what females have to go thru in the business world. Goodluck man, I am rooting for you. My advice is find a large dental office with 3+ hygienists. That way they can funnel you the female patients (if thats not illegal, idk).

Reactions: 1 user
OP:

Check out a periodontist office. I shadowed one who mentioned that he does prefer to hire male hygienists. He mentioned that they tend to have the strength that women lack.

Word of advice... during interviews, don't mention your ability to "sell" to patients. I've noticed a lot of dentists bristle at that word. I even had one somewhat yell at me, stating "You do not sell a treatment. You inform and advise. You are NOT a used car salesman."

To answer the question look at a girl room and a guy room. This kind of work need someone who is clean freak .
Ohhh there is a little piece of calculus there I have to clean it out, while guys say it will never hurt