why do you want to be a physician...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uknowwhoitis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
and what can you bring to the multicultural field of medicine? This is what is on the application. I find this question to be easy, however they say "no more than 300 works" which is not at all much. I am having a hard time summing that 1) I wanna help people, not just with the doctor patient way but also be a mentor for inner city kids. 2) I like to learn. 3) I represent minorities and underserved communities. etc.... For the other schools they give you freedom with length so you can use the guidelines of many books. This 300 word format seems like its straight to the point but I've heard its not good to be just straight forward like that..."I wanna help people blah blah blah" Any suggestions from people who have written theirs. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

uknowwhoitis said:
and what can you bring to the multicultural field of medicine? This is what is on the application. I find this question to be easy, however they say "no more than 300 works" which is not at all much. I am having a hard time summing that 1) I wanna help people, not just with the doctor patient way but also be a mentor for inner city kids. 2) I like to learn. 3) I represent minorities and underserved communities. etc.... For the other schools they give you freedom with length so you can use the guidelines of many books. This 300 word format seems like its straight to the point but I've heard its not good to be just straight forward like that..."I wanna help people blah blah blah" Any suggestions from people who have written theirs. Thanks

You may have already answered your own question...

1) Loose the 'I wanna help people' cliche and expand on the notion of inner city kids.

2) I think this is a life long requirement of anyone in a health care occupation. LPN-MD/PhD, so I would not focus on this idea, personally.

3) I don't know you, but if you can do this one with quality in 300 words then go for it. White guys can't go this route, unless there Gay.

You could blend this into: Treating kids in an urban minority community. If you have the back ground.

I have a feeling you know what you want to say, it's just getting the 'filler' out.

My suggestion: write what ever you want first, regardless of word count, put it down for no less than 3 hours and go back and cut-cut-cut. This was my approach for papers in my major where there was a 30 or 50 page limit. I would write 60-70 and go back and edit the s**t out of it.

Good Luck. :luck:

anyone feel like reading my short rossu essay. if youve got the time, it will be great to get feed back especially from the ones who know everything about admission commitees. Thanks :D