Why do you want to be a vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this seems like an obvious question, and I know why I want to be a vet but I'm having a really hard time putting it into succinct words, like for an interview answer. What have you guys said in interviews when asked why you want to be a veterinarian? Seems like the most simple question but it's one that I'm really struggling with! I would like to avoid the obvious (albeit, true) answers of "I want to help animals and people" and those sorts of things, so I'd love to hear some of your answers and how they turned out in interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

I know this seems like an obvious question, and I know why I want to be a vet but I'm having a really hard time putting it into succinct words, like for an interview answer. What have you guys said in interviews when asked why you want to be a veterinarian? Seems like the most simple question but it's one that I'm really struggling with! I would like to avoid the obvious (albeit, true) answers of "I want to help animals and people" and those sorts of things, so I'd love to hear some of your answers and how they turned out in interviews!

Bad answer: I love animals.
Good answer: I want to help people and animals.

Just elaborate on the answer you already have. How are you helping people? What part of the job is so helpful? Why do we need veterinarians to help animals? What about specific aspects of the job (challenges, opportunities, etc) make you want to be a vet?

I'm guessing people will be reluctant to give you their answers-- it's a personal one, and you should be entirely sincere and independent in your own answer.

Think about it a bit. You're on the track to a good response. :)

Well I mean, you should be able to put something into words. If you just love animals, you could do a lot of other things to work with animals and help animals. If you want to help animals and people, well again, there's lots of stuff you can do. Why must it be veterinary medicine? Remember, it's medicine too. Vet med is not all about the animals and people...really the medicine part is what sets it apart from other careers with animals. You'll also make more money, but with a much higher level of time and financial commitment than the other animal-related jobs.

But yeah ultimately it's all up to you. I mean just, why vet med and not animal training or being a vet tech or volunteering at a shelter while making $$$ as an engineer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a passion for anything specific yet? If you do, you could incorporate that into your answer to make it more personal and more "you".

Like, "because of all my time spent doing X, I know that's how I want to spend my life" or something along those lines.

I found myself looking at my experiences and if any of them made a distinct impression on me, I made a bullet point about it. At the end I had 3-5 bullet points that I reworked into a few sentences.

Eg. Working as a receptionist, and talking to someone for 45 minutes about fleas! (Not that they didn't get it, they just really wanted to know more)

Bullet: I like educating people who want to know more about animals.

This seemed to work best on my more unusual or individual experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
I really agree with Breenie that you need to formulate your own answer without other peoples' influence. Hearing other peoples' answers are nice but it would come across more genuinely if you articulate it yourself.

You want to help people and animals but you don't say what about vet med sets it apart from something like police using dogs for search and rescue or training therapy animals or even just volunteering at an animal place. This doesn't even include careers that help ONLY people or ONLY animals - there are thousands more of those. You need to be able to finesse out why veterinary medicine attracts you. Good luck!

I don't. I thought this was the line for becoming a plumber. :p

My answer (non-trad) ws that I kept getting drawn back into vet med. I made the decision to pursue another animal field, but every chance I had, I was still working with vets. There are a lot of other features for me; I like working with people and their animals. Teaching is something I enjoy. I also like puzzles, and some of medicine (especially with my interest in exotics) is puzzle solving. I like having conversations that most folks would rather avoid, so calling up the world expert on binturong's and spending time discussing what's wrong, blood work, etc is fun for me (use to volunteer to do that.) I also enjoy reading the latest research; put me in a library and I can spend hours perusing science journals, so I appreciate a profession where there will always be new procedures, drugs, techniques and methods, where learning is always expected. Finally, unlike human medicine, I feel vet med gives me more control over my fate. I can own a clinic or pursue a specialty. I don't have to do a residency if I don't want to. I can also chose a career path with this education that lets me work inside or out. I don't know of many areas in human med where I could ever work outdoors.

You will need to figure out your own reasons, but sometimes it helps to hear others. My suggestion is to sit down and write out what you find awesome about vet med. It doens't matter how absurd it sounds, just get it all written down. Then figure out how to articulate it.

Hi! I'm new . . .

Along similar lines to what the OP was asking, how concise an answer are they looking for with this question? Is it okay to use an anecdote or describe how the answer has changed over time? I tend to ramble a bit when I'm nervous, and the interviewer wasn't too impressed the first time around.

Thanks for all your help...it really helped get me thinking..and I am definitely planning on using my own answer to make sure it sounds 100% genuine sometimes it does just help to hear how others articulated it and it did get me thinking on what my particular answer would be.

Pooter...I am wondering the same thing! Because I definitely don't have a short, one sentence answer...I spent one of my four essays (Mizzou) answering this question and it still wasn't enough space! And I don't want to just reiterate my essay which they will have already read...

Sumstorm...I mentioned a lot of the same things in my essay that you said, like the variety of opportunities, and that really is a big thing for me so I can talk about that, how I like you can do clinical work, public health/government, research, academia, work with various different species, etc.

I think after reading all your answers and thinking about it a lot I have found several things that will be good for me, so thanks again! I wasn't trying to ask too personal a question and definitely not trying to copy-cat anyone's answers, just trying to get the juices flowing!

Not to offend anybody but I think the query for your reasons should be genuinely a thing you derive from personal experience. I've noticed a lot of pre-vets say they want to help animals because they love them but cannot answer why they love animals or why they want to help. Once you find a concrete reason, I think that's a big help in motivating you to achieve your ambitions.

Hi! I'm new . . .

Along similar lines to what the OP was asking, how concise an answer are they looking for with this question? Is it okay to use an anecdote or describe how the answer has changed over time? I tend to ramble a bit when I'm nervous, and the interviewer wasn't too impressed the first time around.

I was told it was best to keep your answer down to 3-4 sentences max. Be clear and succinct, don't feel like you have to be super detailed. If they want to know more about why X interests you and makes you want to be a vet, that gives them a launching pad for further conversation. And talking about how it's changed over time can be a good strategy, but still make sure to keep it short and sweet.