Why do you want to get drunk?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue Rover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With Match Day now a little more than a day away, I've noticed a lot of people saying they want to get absolutely smashed after they get their envelopes.

Does anyone else find it just a little ironic that even though we're all physicians-in-training, some of us are going to engage in some decidedly unhealthy activity as soon as our futures are secure? Last I remember, binge drinking seemed to be associated with a lot of adverse outcomes.

I'm not a prohibitionist: people should be able to drink alcohol, but as the alcohol industry says, please drink responsibly. Sip, don't guzzle!

And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, if you're going to get totally ****-faced (or even - or especially - if you're going to be mildly buzzed) get a designated driver. :)

Members don't see this ad.

With Match Day now a little more than a day away, I've noticed a lot of people saying they want to get absolutely smashed after they get their envelopes.

Does anyone else find it just a little ironic that even though we're all physicians-in-training, some of us are going to engage in some decidedly unhealthy activity as soon as our futures are secure? Last I remember, binge drinking seemed to be associated with a lot of adverse outcomes.

I'm not a prohibitionist: people should be able to drink alcohol, but as the alcohol industry says, please drink responsibly. Sip, don't guzzle!

And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, if you're going to get totally ****-faced (or even - or especially - if you're going to be mildly buzzed) get a designated driver. :)

Unhealthy? To enjoy a few mojito's with some friends while you share some (hopefully) good news, or at least the end of a period of uncertainty?

Drunk does not equal ****faced, DUI's, or dangerous hangovers. FYI, right now I can get pretty drunk off of 2 beers, and in fact plan on doing so tonight. I might even (gasp) guzzle them. (IMO, parties are good for med students like myself who really don't get out all that much, and if you go overboard, get smashed, and feel like a raisin the next day, where's the harm?)

1) Some people think it's fun

2) Everyone opening a match envelope will be celebrating 4 years of hard work

3) We're still students

4) Responsible drinking doesn't necessarily mean sober drinking...you can be really drunk and still be responsible (e.g. by not driving)

5) Beer tastes good

You know what, you're absolutely right. I was planning on bringing a flask to the financial aid meeting before our match ceremony, but now I'm inspired to wear a unicorn T-shirt and try to get a huge hokey-pokey group going to celebrate. This is so rad! I can't wait!

Is anyone else going to a pre-preparty at 7am? Takes me back to Kegs and Eggs at ND tailgates in college...

You know what, you're absolutely right. I was planning on bringing a flask to the financial aid meeting before our match ceremony, but now I'm inspired to wear a unicorn T-shirt and try to get a huge hokey-pokey group going to celebrate. This is so rad! I can't wait!

:laugh:

In fairness to the OP, you can't blame a guy- a future MD- telling others to curb binge drinking. Probably not the right time given everyones excitement, but he's just looking out.

That said, me Jack Daniels and Sam Adams will be celebrating the match together. I hope one of us remembers the night.

By the way, I'm an attending. I just threw a kegger at my house last weekend, and I had a two story beer bong. About 50 people from work showed up. It was a blast!

Q

Last edited:
Errr - yeah, good luck with the match. Especially after that uplifting post. Seriously folks - go out and have a good time :thumbup:

I'm going to reward myself by reading twice as much Harrisons for the rest of the year. My guilty pleasures... Alcohol is baaad... mmmmmm kay?

I'm going to reward myself by reading twice as much Harrisons for the rest of the year. My guilty pleasures... Alcohol is baaad... mmmmmm kay?

Sorry... I wrote this post DRUNK! I'm gonna go drive in reverse on the freeway blindfolded. Good luck to all!! :luck:

Is anyone else going to a pre-preparty at 7am?

Count me in. This has been the longest 3 days of my life and I'll gladly dull the insanity with some Guiness and Irish Car Bombs. I'll probably be out all night tonight and then stroll in to get my envelope in the morning. Ahh, good times.

Sorry... I wrote this post DRUNK! I'm gonna go drive in reverse on the freeway blindfolded. Good luck to all!! :luck:

I'm drunk thanks to PFE. Yummy dinner with wine to boot! :laugh:

Count me in. This has been the longest 3 days of my life and I'll gladly dull the insanity with some Guiness and Irish Car Bombs. I'll probably be out all night tonight and then stroll in to get my envelope in the morning. Ahh, good times.

Irish Car Bombs? Do tell...how is this one made?

Thanks to the OP, with all sincerity, for giving us a reason to talk about our upcoming drunken frenzies.

I think better advice might be this: Liquor then beer, never fear, beer then liquor, never sicker.

:)

2 years ago, Match Day coincided with St. Patrick's day. It was a glorious festival of drunkeness for me and my friends.

However, it was very safe. I corralled all my non med school friends months ahead of time and made sure that they knew they were responsible for driving me around and getting me home safely, including knowing when to cut me off.

I got really drunk and had a really good time and didn't endanger anybody or anything except my liver, but then again my liver and I have a love/hate relationship.

In summary, just plan ahead. You're about to graduate medical school. If you can't figure out how to get drunk in a safe manner, what hope does anyone else have?

Irish Car Bombs? Do tell...how is this one made?

Thanks to the OP, with all sincerity, for giving us a reason to talk about our upcoming drunken frenzies.

I think better advice might be this: Liquor then beer, never fear, beer then liquor, never sicker.

:)

Here ya go... Irish Car Bomb also known as "the Depth Charge". The rule is you gotta shoot it once you drop the shot glass into the pint. Alot of places won't let you drop the shot glass in though because people have f'ed up their teeth (when they tilt the pint glass back the shot glass hits 'em in the mouth). Knock on wood, this hasn't happened to me. These things are the shiz. They hit you hard-- after a couple of them you'll be quite impaired. I remember I was doing a pub crawl in the Gaslamp in San Diego with some other med students during my audition rotation last November and the first place we stopped I ordered us a round of car bombs. Needless to say we were pretty drunk come the third bar. My favorite drink all around.

"Blue Rover- I understand where you are coming from. I find the hypocrisy of a bunch of health professionals going out and getting inebriated quite vacuous. It is just like doctors who smoke cigarettes, honestly- I don't get it. Perhaps the worst part is the 'frat boy' mentality held by some of these 'professionals'.

Of course alcohol is, unfortunately, a large part of our culture. Also, a large majority of those who will be celebrating tomorrow night with alcohol will be doing so responsibly and in moderation. From the impression that I get from reading the previous comments, however, it seems mostly the 'less responsible' of the group are responding. I just hope that those of you who do choose to imbibe will be more responsible than the drunk doctor who hit and killed my best friend. He too had 'just a couple of beers'. It is my mission in life to make sure that that individual does not practice medicine again (ironic that he too was an attending ER doctor). Mostly, I just don't want anybody to have to go through the things that I have seen. Alcohol destroys lives- we have all seen it in the ER, the clinics, and unfortunately sometimes in our own lives."

this post just killed my buzz

Mommy won't let me drink

:barf:

nrvsidr zo esmyrf yp hry fti,l. yjsy
d eju upi ,ptpm@ ;rsbr ,r s;pmr@ sttttthj/

ejsy
d oy yp upi smfu esu

Blue Rover- I understand where you are coming from. I find the hypocrisy of a bunch of health professionals going out and getting inebriated quite vacuous. It is just like doctors who smoke cigarettes, honestly- I don't get it. Perhaps the worst part is the 'frat boy' mentality held by some of these 'professionals'.

Of course alcohol is, unfortunately, a large part of our culture. Also, a large majority of those who will be celebrating tomorrow night with alcohol will be doing so responsibly and in moderation. From the impression that I get from reading the previous comments, however, it seems mostly the 'less responsible' of the group are responding. I just hope that those of you who do choose to imbibe will be more responsible than the drunk doctor who hit and killed my best friend. He too had 'just a couple of beers'. It is my mission in life to make sure that that individual does not practice medicine again (ironic that he too was an attending ER doctor). Mostly, I just don't want anybody to have to go through the things that I have seen. Alcohol destroys lives- we have all seen it in the ER, the clinics, and unfortunately sometimes in our own lives.

Good luck to all in the match tomorrow!

:sleep: :sleep: A couple of beers never hurt anyone. You need to stop listening to mommy all the time. Now would be a good time to wean off breast milk as well. Didn't you get the memo in like 10th grade that teetotalers are f-ing lame?

I just hope that those of you who do choose to imbibe will be more responsible than the drunk doctor who hit and killed my best friend. He too had 'just a couple of beers'. It is my mission in life to make sure that that individual does not practice medicine again (ironic that he too was an attending ER doctor). Mostly, I just don't want anybody to have to go through the things that I have seen. Alcohol destroys lives- we have all seen it in the ER, the clinics, and unfortunately sometimes in our own lives.

Good luck to all in the match tomorrow!

Uh....let me tell you about the baby I saw today who had been beaten up by his mother and left outside until the rats chewed off his nose.

yes for booze to drown sorrows away

Good luck to all who matched

"Blue Rover- I understand where you are coming from. I find the hypocrisy of a bunch of health professionals going out and getting inebriated quite vacuous. It is just like doctors who smoke cigarettes, honestly- I don't get it. Perhaps the worst part is the 'frat boy' mentality held by some of these 'professionals'.

I'm not sure what "vacuous" means, but I think that's what I am right now. Figures a stiff pro-hibitionist like yourself would use a geeky world like that. Now back to those Irish Car Bomz....:p

Take me drunk I'm home.

I just hope that those of you who do choose to imbibe will be more responsible than the drunk doctor who hit and killed my best friend. He too had 'just a couple of beers'. It is my mission in life to make sure that that individual does not practice medicine again.

Uhh...prison usually takes care of that.

FYI-

Vacuous: Adjective. Having or showing a lack of thought or intelligence; mindless.

Therefore, yes, I would agree. You are vacuous. As for your other disparaging (if you need that term dumbed down too- it means rude or degrading) remarks, I kind of like my "geeky worLd".

By-the-way, congratulations (an expression of praise for an achievement or good wishes on a special occasion; the act of congratulating) on matching!

Hey man...considering the fact that I was intoxicated, one mis-spelled worLd was pretty dang good! BTW - what's with the personal attacks? Why the anger? You need a benzodiazepine...or would that be too similar to drinking EtOH??

Dear 'Twohearted'-

You know what? Perhaps you are right- a couple of beers did not hurt any of these people- http://www.fnnc.org/drunk-driving.html. If you need more references just let me know- I have thousands more. Had you recieved any real medical training you would already have had plenty of first hand experience anyhow. But perhaps I can't blame you- you may be one of the millions of people in this world with FAS. (fetal alcohol syndrome- if you don't know what this is here is a good link for you to educate yourself: http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/fas/). If someone only could have educated your mother...

People like you are the reason people like me drink. Take your self-righteous, criticizing, socially-deprived solo crusade and find some other group of non-tolerant egotistical blowhards to listen to you and your cause. Nobody on this thread has mentioned doing anything alcohol-related to harm other people. Nobody is advocating drunk driving or other criminal acts. I've got a place for you to shove my empty bottle. Get a life.

FYI-

Vacuous: Adjective. Having or showing a lack of thought or intelligence; mindless.

Therefore, yes, I would agree. You are vacuous. As for your other disparaging (if you need that term dumbed down too- it means rude or degrading) remarks, I kind of like my "geeky worLd".

By-the-way, congratulations (an expression of praise for an achievement or good wishes on a special occasion; the act of congratulating) on matching!

:laugh: :laugh: Ha Ha! I may not agree with all you say, but funny.

Valsalva, I believe it was you who started the personal attacks? Really- you all are crazy extremists- grow up. Honestly.

Seriously, why are some medical students so lame and in other peoples business constantly. One of my classmates claims that everyone that goes out to the bar has a drinking problem. Sorry, but just because you have a few drinks, doesn't make you an alcoholic.

If you want to go out and drink - do it. Thanks for the warning but, for real we are adults, and we all KNOW the consequences of drinking. Uhhhh - duh, pretty sure I know that drinking can cause hepatotoxicity, intoxication and difficulty operating heavy machinery. That is why I always have a DD or pay for a taxi.

So, are you telling me that you don't ever eat food that isn't bad for you? Don't you tell your patients to eat five fruits & veggies a day, avoid foods that are high in fat and to exercise half an hour a day, three days a week? Do YOU do this? If not then you too are a big fat hypocrite.

We are all human. Some like to celebrate with alcohol. Others like to just chill with a book. Don't go preaching, it rubs people the wrong way.

Xipper, it's really sad what happened to your friend but, honestly people make mistakes. I'm not saying that the physician that drove that night should get off free and clear, I'm sure he/she has paid both professionally and personally. I can't even imagine the guilt a person would carry around after having that happen. It's great to allow others to learn from those mistakes but, to let it consume your life isn't fair to you, or your friends memory. Seems like you should talk to someone. Just out of curiosity, would you be so angry and upset if the doctor had just pulled a 36 hour shift and got into an accident that resulted in your friend lose of life? Probably not but, that would have been the same poor judgement on the physicians part. Somehow that is accepted though.

People like you are the reason people like me drink. Take your self-righteous, criticizing, socially-deprived solo crusade and find some other group of non-tolerant egotistical blowhards to listen to you and your cause. Nobody on this thread has mentioned doing anything alcohol-related to harm other people. Nobody is advocating drunk driving or other criminal acts. I've got a place for you to shove my empty bottle. Get a life.

Amen - I didn't read the whole post before I posted my response but, once I read Xippers post about FAS I was totally turned off and actually think he/she has some psych problems. What an ego-maniac who has nothing better to do then flex his "smarts" on an anonymous website. Great, you can use the thesaurus function on word to find sophisticated words. Then you can go onto dictonary.com and find the meaning. I bet you are one of those people that everyone can't stand.

:laugh: :laugh: Ha Ha! I may not agree with all you say, but funny.

Valsalva, I believe it was you who started the personal attacks? Really- you all are crazy extremists- grow up. Honestly.

Crazy extremist? Grow up? Because I drink alcohol on occasion? What's that all about?

I started the personal attacks? Well, on closer examination...I suppose using the word "stiff" to describe Xipper probably did me in. However, that pales in comparison to being called an extremist, vacuous, having my intelligence insulted and what not. Fact is, I use EtOH quite modestly, never used before age 21, and I got a 13 of the VR section of the MCAT. What gives???

It was a little disconcerting that so few were willing to recognize the negative effects of the misuse of alcohol. Thanks for the sympathy Loveumms.

The negative effect of excessive consumption of alcohol is a headache the next day +/-vomiting. You are not going to hurt your liver or hurt anybody from drinking from time to time even if it's not in moderation. You may hurt someone if you drive, but that is a separate issue. It's up to the student to decide whether or not having more fun at a celebration is worth possibly feeling ill the next day. Quit being such a preachy little wus.

The negative effect of excessive consumption of alcohol is a headache the next day +/-vomiting. You are not going to hurt your liver or hurt anybody from drinking from time to time even if it's not in moderation.
Nah, one good binge can bump your enzymes. Not much, but it can.
You may hurt someone if you drive, but that is a separate issue. It's up to the student to decide whether or not having more fun at a celebration is worth possibly feeling ill the next day. Quit being such a preachy little wus.
Amen.

Xipper, it's really sad what happened to your friend but, honestly people make mistakes. I'm not saying that the physician that drove that night should get off free and clear, I'm sure he/she has paid both professionally and personally. I can't even imagine the guilt a person would carry around after having that happen. It's great to allow others to learn from those mistakes but, to let it consume your life isn't fair to you, or your friends memory. Seems like you should talk to someone. Just out of curiosity, would you be so angry and upset if the doctor had just pulled a 36 hour shift and got into an accident that resulted in your friend lose of life? Probably not but, that would have been the same poor judgement on the physicians part. Somehow that is accepted though.

Yikes, this is just a bit too cavalier for me - If everyone is more careful and responsible less of this kind of thing would happen. I think the take home message of this thread is NOT to drive under the influence of anything. Can't we just agree that no one will drive and leave it at that without insulting each other?