why does buffalo want a high school transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you guys think it weighs on their decision? can it hurt? I was a bit of a slacker....

Members don't see this ad.

mlle said:
do you guys think it weighs on their decision? can it hurt? I was a bit of a slacker....

To see if you improved...They definetly look at it!

mlle said:

Some other schools ask for one as well. They just want to get a more complete idea of you as an applicant, and to do that they want to see more of you than what you've done in the last four years (or whenever undergrad was for you). They ask for it for the same reason they ask about your family, or activities, essay, etc.

Hey, even if you weren't as strong in high school, you may have shown a lot of improvement. Also, it's a good thing that a school is giving you so many chances to show who you are. If they only asked three questions, each one would mean so much more.

And remember, they're looking at what you took and when you took it, not just the grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
mlle said:

not only buffalo but i think 2 other schools ask for them too. imho, it is silly to ask for high school transcripts period. if it was important, all the schools would do it. besides, most of us were different people when we were teenagers so dont worry about your high school transcripts. many of us have blemishes in our history. by the way, buffalo seeks certain personality types. stats are not on the top of their list so don't fret over the highschool transcript..

fightingspirit said:
by the way, buffalo seeks certain personality types. stats are not on the top of their list so don't fret over the highschool transcript..

what do you mean by certain types of people? can you be a little more specific. see I'm asking because I want to narrow down my application list as much as possible, and while I think I would like to gothere, I'm not sure if I have a chance at an interview. My grades are like a 3.2 and hopefully my DAT's will be above 20, but I am well rounded and a varsity athlete etc. so I dunno. any opinions/advice are much appreciated. thanks.

mlle said:
but I am well rounded and a varsity athlete etc.
Definitely apply to Buffalo then! It's a great school and if you're a NY state resident you have a good shot.

mlle said:
what do you mean by certain types of people? can you be a little more specific. see I'm asking because I want to narrow down my application list as much as possible, and while I think I would like to gothere, I'm not sure if I have a chance at an interview. My grades are like a 3.2 and hopefully my DAT's will be above 20, but I am well rounded and a varsity athlete etc. so I dunno. any opinions/advice are much appreciated. thanks.

ok, before i comment on your post, i must state that what i am going to say reflects my personal opinion, nothing more, nothing less. you should consult other SDNers.
by certain types, buffalo favors:
overtly humble applicants, non-specialty oriented, non-gunner type, very mild-mannered, very quiet, formal...(UB is very old school and in-bred academically), well-exposed to dental practice (shadowing is important at buffalo and you will be asked thoroughly about this issue).
3.2 won't exclude you from buffalo at all if you have a compatible personality. if your DAT is 20 or above and you're an athlete (this country seems to worship jesus, celebrities and athletes... ;) ) and you behave during the interview day (not just the interview...stay mild-mannered and quiet throughout the entire day and don't crack jokes with staff), then UB would be glad to have you...

good luck :thumbup:

awesome, thanks guys. just one more thing tho, i'm from jersey, not NY, does that make a difference in your comments?

mlle said:
awesome, thanks guys. just one more thing tho, i'm from jersey, not NY, does that make a difference in your comments?

if you were talking about Stony, i would have discouraged from applying as an out-of-stater. but buffalo took a bunch of kids from all over the place this year. like i said, if you are compatible with them in a character level, you're in and they'll let you know within a few days after the inTview.

fightingspirit said:
ok, before i comment on your post, i must state that what i am going to say reflects my personal opinion, nothing more, nothing less. you should consult other SDNers.
by certain types, buffalo favors:
overtly humble applicants, non-specialty oriented, non-gunner type, very mild-mannered, very quiet, formal...(UB is very old school and in-bred academically), well-exposed to dental practice (shadowing is important at buffalo and you will be asked thoroughly about this issue).
3.2 won't exclude you from buffalo at all if you have a compatible personality. if your DAT is 20 or above and you're an athlete (this country seems to worship jesus, celebrities and athletes... ;) ) and you behave during the interview day (not just the interview...stay mild-mannered and quiet throughout the entire day and don't crack jokes with staff), then UB would be glad to have you...

good luck :thumbup:

Ummmm.....me? Mild-mannered? Quiet? FORMAL? :laugh: :laugh:

I totally disagree; it's always important to be relaxed and able to show humor with the people around you on your interview date. I totally didn't get any of those impressions at all, and I still felt like I "belonged" there....to each his own, I suppose!

I think luck can be considered a factor here too, because some interviewers may be more compatible with you than others. I know I lucked out with my interviewers at Buffalo.

license2drill said:
I think luck can be considered a factor here too, because some interviewers may be more compatible with you than others. I know I lucked out with my interviewers at Buffalo.

totally agree kiddo ;)