Why does everyone cry about how hard pharmacy is?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NateRobinson

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You guys need to lighten up. Especially those of you still in pharmacy school.

I graduated years and years ago. Nada. I lived my life, spent time with girls, played video games, played sports, spent time with family and went to the gym constantly. All on top of actually learning the material and working 25 hours a week the last 4 years.

So many people here complain and say stuff like "IM SO STRESSED" and "MY SEX DRIVE HAD DIMINISHED." What the holy hell is wrong with you people? Why do you stress so much? It's really not that hard. Take a chill pill. Relax. You have a hard exam coming up? Have a drink. Smoke a blunt. Take a pill. Whatever you need to do to calm down. Then, sit down, take your book out, and BELIEVE that you will do great. Don't neglect your loved ones, don't neglect your body and become an obese piece of crap, don't become one of those grade A losers that people like me and my preceptors make fun of on rotations on a daily basis. Chill the **** out. Punch a wall. Vibe to some Dean Marley. Re-Lax.

And to those of you that work for a chain and bitch all day about how tough it is, you guys are just as bad. I work in a store that does just under 4,000 scripts a week in a bad neighborhood and is severely short staffed at times and I don't complain. Instead of having a goddamn panic attack, do what's in front of you, help your patients, and go home at the end of the day.

Then there's the group who sits there behind their computers and goes "OMG THAT PATIENT DIDNT WANT TO WAIT 30 MINUTES FOR HIS EYE DROPS!!" Guess what, ******? He shouldn't have to wait 30 minutes for his eye drops Script. All you have to do is print the label, scan the box and then label the box. How hard is that? If I was. A patient and some ******* intern/rph told me I had to wait longer than 15 minutes so he could take his time labeling a box, id be mad too. And this is coming from a pharmacy intern that works for a huge chain that does an insane amount of scripts on a daily basis.

It's your job. You get paid 55 bucks an hour on average to make sure the bottle of Ofloxacin matches the picture of the bottle of Ofloxacin on your screen. Do your job and shut the **** up.

Re-Lax.
 
Last edited:
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Well, Troll, I guess we all aren't genius' like you apparently are.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This isn't a troll you idiot. I'm speaking 100% truthfully. Are you mad because you're one of those dudes who locked himself in his room for 12 hours a day so he can get a 90 on a test instead of an 85? LoLoL
 
So as a soon to be pharmacist are you implying that we should abuse substances in order to relax? I'm talking about the take a pill, drink, and smoke a blunt comments.

School is hard. Yes, there are some people that are negative and want to represent things worse than how they are. I know some people that just have to say they have life harder than someone else, they are usually miserable and only doing it for attention.

However, pharmacy school is hard. It's doable, but it's hard. When you have class from 8-4 and then go home to study all night for your test the next day it is stressful. When you are in class all day and then go to work and come home at 9-10 having spent only an hour of free time to eat all day that is stressful. It's manageable, but it isn't easy and it is very demanding. On the days where you aren't in school or when you don't have to work that evening or study for an exam it's definitely appropriate to take free time, but the fact of the matter is that on some (maybe most) days if you are balancing work with school you will have many days where your free time consists of just eating. When I was working retail that's how I lived on those days. I survived through them, did my job, went to classes and studied for my classes, but I did not play video games or do anything fun because there were many things that took priority over my leisure.

Also, in retail pharmacy (as you probably know) there are prescriptions ahead of the guy's eye drops. It doesn't take 30 minutes to fill 1 prescription, but when you have 10, 20, 30+ prescriptions ahead of those eye drops it can take more time before that individual prescription gets filled. A good pharmacist shouldn't put everyone else at the back of the line because 1 person demands their prescription immediately. If you have several people waiting in the pharmacy ahead of that person odds are you aren't going to have it out in 15 minutes without putting it ahead of others that are waiting just like you.

I also find it ironic that you are essentially complaining about people complaining :meanie:
 
Last edited:
You guys need to lighten up. Especially those of you still in pharmacy school.

I'm about to graduate pharmacy school And I can honestly say that besides the usual BS, I didn't stress at all. Nada. I lived my life, spent time with girls, played video games, played sports, spent time with family and went to the gym constantly. All on top of actually learning the material and working 25 hours a week the last 4 years.

So many people here complain and say stuff like "IM SO STRESSED" and "MY SEX DRIVE HAD DIMINISHED." What the holy hell is wrong with you people? Why do you stress so much? It's really not that hard. Take a chill pill. Relax. You have a hard exam coming up? Have a drink. Smoke a blunt. Take a pill. Whatever you need to do to calm down. Then, sit down, take your book out, and BELIEVE that you will do great. Don't neglect your loved ones, don't neglect your body and become an obese piece of crap, don't become one of those grade A losers that people like me and my preceptors make fun of on rotations on a daily basis. Chill the **** out. Punch a wall. Vibe to some Dean Marley. Re-Lax.

And to those of you that work for a chain and bitch all day about how tough it is, you guys are just as bad. I work in a store that does just under 4,000 scripts a week in a bad neighborhood and is severely short staffed at times and I don't complain. Instead of having a goddamn panic attack, do what's in front of you, help your patients, and go home at the end of the day.

Then there's the group who sits there behind their computers and goes "OMG THAT PATIENT DIDNT WANT TO WAIT 30 MINUTES FOR HIS EYE DROPS!!" Guess what, ******? He shouldn't have to wait 30 minutes for his eye drops Script. All you have to do is print the label, scan the box and then label the box. How hard is that? If I was. A patient and some ******* intern/rph told me I had to wait longer than 15 minutes so he could take his time labeling a box, id be mad too. And this is coming from a pharmacy intern that works for a huge chain that does an insane amount of scripts on a daily basis.

It's your job. You get paid 55 bucks an hour on average to make sure the bottle of Ofloxacin matches the picture of the bottle of Ofloxacin on your screen. Do your job and shut the **** up.

Re-Lax.

For the most part, agreed. However, we do 5,000 scripts a week and 30 minutes is perfectly acceptable at times. Especially when there are 10 waiters ahead of said customer. I gotta say, there are millions of people who work more stressful jobs for 1/5th the wages, so seriously some people need to stop complaining about their $50+/hour job.
 
Finally, somebody who's ego isn't stuck knee deep in bull****. Now if only we could get half of pharmacists to think like this, we would be fine.
 
This isn't a troll you idiot. I'm speaking 100% truthfully. Are you mad because you're one of those dudes who locked himself in his room for 12 hours a day so he can get a 90 on a test instead of an 85? LoLoL

:laugh::laugh:

There are so many people in pharmacy school that
Are like that it's true lmaoo
 
I like the cut of your jib, let's be friends. I echo all your points

Pharmacy school was simple, biggest issue was dealing with all the egos of the students, faculty, and administrators. Classes were a breeze, rotations were fine, the naplex was a joke. Though it may be different now because a ippe student recently told me phamcacy school was WAY harder than when I was in school but i think he was just an idiot with a big ego

Sure work is busy and stressful sometimes but for 58.25/hour I'd let you poke me in the junk with a pen needle. Man up and tell people to hold their horses and sit down. No one will die while waiting 30 min for any medicine at a pharmacy. Take your time, talk to the fun customer, ignore the ******* ones, don't kill anyone and go home on time
 
That too. Some techs and pharmacists look like they're miserable and angry. Talk to the patient. Ask him why he needs the drops. Maybe he'll tell you a funny story. Worst case scenario, he doesn't answer your question and you can continue typing the script.

People need to lighten the **** up.
 
Sure work is busy and stressful sometimes but for 58.25/hour I'd let you poke me in the junk with a pen needle.
How many times during that hour? That's a sick and twisted proposition. However, I have spent more money on worse ideas.

I agree that pharmacy school wasn't all that hard. Doing some practice naplex questions, and I'm pretty confident with it. Was never a big studier either.
 
I like the cut of your jib, let's be friends. I echo all your points

Pharmacy school was simple, biggest issue was dealing with all the egos of the students, faculty, and administrators. Classes were a breeze, rotations were fine, the naplex was a joke. Though it may be different now because a ippe student recently told me phamcacy school was WAY harder than when I was in school but i think he was just an idiot with a big ego

Sure work is busy and stressful sometimes but for 58.25/hour I'd let you poke me in the junk with a pen needle. Man up and tell people to hold their horses and sit down. No one will die while waiting 30 min for any medicine at a pharmacy. Take your time, talk to the fun customer, ignore the ******* ones, don't kill anyone and go home on time

Best advice ever. I used to stress so much when I first started because I was floating. Now, I just take my time, talk to the fun customers (will go above and beyond for them when they are nice), ignore the pricks that are never satisfied and are constantly looking for who to get in trouble, and get to go home now and relax. I laugh at silly racist comments and just hand them the number to the district office if they ask for it. I get people out in 5 mins if the situation permits but I 've also given people 45 mins wait time when I'm alone and it's busy (I work alone on sundays). This job is not stressful but there are so many entitled and stupid adults out there.
 
That too. Some techs and pharmacists look like they're miserable and angry. Talk to the patient. Ask him why he needs the drops. Maybe he'll tell you a funny story. Worst case scenario, he doesn't answer your question and you can continue typing the script.

People need to lighten the **** up.
Asking the patient questions is entertaining and good practice. You can make better interventions and give better advice if you know more about what's going on, and hearing how that arm got broken in the first place is probably funny.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd say one reason is that it is more challenging than a lot of other majors and we compare our experiences. The RAs at an engineering school I shared a dorm with could not comprehend my finals schedule (7 exams in 5 days compared to their 0-3 exams).

The other reason is people like to complain. When I hear someone complain about a particular retail chain or hospital or class, 90% of the time it has nothing to do with the task and is all about thir "woe is me" attitude.
 
Pharmacy school is not that hard if you put the effort into studying. It was way easier than undergrad. I went out, had fun, but still put effort into school. I also worked 20hrs a week as a student and graduated summa cum laude. Residency was way harder than pharmacy school.

Agree there is a lot of whining with students...😉
 
Best advice ever. I used to stress so much when I first started because I was floating. Now, I just take my time, talk to the fun customers (will go above and beyond for them when they are nice), ignore the pricks that are never satisfied and are constantly looking for who to get in trouble, and get to go home now and relax. I laugh at silly racist comments and just hand them the number to the district office if they ask for it. I get people out in 5 mins if the situation permits but I 've also given people 45 mins wait time when I'm alone and it's busy (I work alone on sundays). This job is not stressful but there are so many entitled and stupid adults out there.

I agree. When I first started working as a tech I would get so angry & stressed that the pts wouldn't understand the hold up w/their script (mostly insurance reasons). It would get worst when I was blamed for the hold up instead of the insurance co & the 50 billion other duties that I was doing at the same time that the pts was complaining to me. But then I realized that I was stressing myself out for no good reason. One pt told me that she wished that I would die b/c I would fill her pain meds (that were too early) on my Birthday. I just stared at the flowers that my fiance had sent me & continued to fill escripts that were being sent to my computer while she complained away. I couldn't care less what she had to say & I was happier when I learned that lesson. After spending 200+ hrs in a cold dark lab w/ no to talk to during grad school I actually realized that I missed those crazy pts & I that's when I knew I needed to be a pharmacist. So hopefully in 2017 I will be one but I'm not going to kill myself in order to be one. Chill out ppl. Someone out there has a worse life than you so be happy for what you have. 🙂

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 using SDN Mobile
 
Pharmacy is not hard. It's juggling everything that's hard if you don't have good time management/studying skills.

It doesn't take a genius to get good grades, work, and do other stuff. I'm no 4.0 student but I have a decent gpa, work every week, and work onanother program. Go to class and pay attention. Actually learn ****, listen, and read guidelines. Apply what you're learning. Life doesn't give you multiple choice tests and neither do rotations.
 
I think pharmacy school was easier than undergrad, granted it's probably because I figured out what to do by the time I matriculated.

and LOL whoever thinks the sex drive thread is real, :laugh::laugh::laugh:
 
I don't think pharmacy's that hard, i think it's this website. Way too many people come here to bitch and complain, constantly. Look how many "i can't find a job!!!" threads are posted. Then you move back to the real world of pharmacy and think, hmmmm, if i put in some effort, it's OK!
 
I don't think pharmacy's that hard, i think it's this website. Way too many people come here to bitch and complain, constantly. Look how many "i can't find a job!!!" threads are posted. Then you move back to the real world of pharmacy and think, hmmmm, if i put in some effort, it's OK!

I haven't made one of those employment threads, but I have gotten one interview in the last 50-70 job applications. A colleague of mine couldn't find a job for a number of months after graduating in 2012, and then had to settle for part-time (weekends) an hour away. There is some truth to those threads.
 
I don't think pharmacy's that hard, i think it's this website. Way too many people come here to bitch and complain, constantly. Look how many "i can't find a job!!!" threads are posted. Then you move back to the real world of pharmacy and think, hmmmm, if i put in some effort, it's OK!

Well said for an intern. Don't take our word for it. Create a RPH resume and apply to area where you are planning to work and see how many reply you will get.
 
Well said for an intern. Don't take our word for it. Create a RPH resume and apply to area where you are planning to work and see how many reply you will get.
"putting my resume out there" is a small part of what you can actually DO.

Yes there's some truth, yes it's saturated, no it's not impossible.
 
OP- what you are saying does have some truth to it but there is also a big difference between working as an intern and pharmacist. If something happens, it is the pharmacist responsibility, not the intern.

I worked a lot of hours as an intern so I got a chance to really know how it is working in retail. There is also a huge difference between working one day a week and working 40 hours a week for 3 months straight especially during the busy flu season. It is tiring and often it is a thankless job. That is why a lot of pharmacists block everything out at work and don't care anymore. They accept that this is how things are and their job is just a job and not a career. It is a lot easier to criticize them but until you do it 52 weeks a year, it is hard to know what they have go thru every day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also when I worked as an intern, I never think about work. Why? Because I know I am not ultimately responsible. I worked under a pharmacist license. It was her license on the line. I didn't have to make all of these difficult decisions. She did. She was my boss and therefore, she was accountable when something goes wrong.
 
Last edited:
It's a lot harder than many other majors. Is your penis extra large too?

This made me laugh :laugh:

Pharmacy school is hard, I personally think it is harder than undergrad due to the sheer amount of information and time spent in class, but it's not impossible. You have to work at it and find balance. I think the truly hard things in life are the things that you face 24/7 like raising children or caring for a family member.
 
OP- what you are saying does have some truth to it but there is also a big difference between working as an intern and pharmacist. If something happens, it is the pharmacist responsibility, not the intern.

I worked a lot of hours as an intern so I got a chance to really know how it is working in retail. There is also a huge difference between working one day a week and working 40 hours a week for 3 months straight especially during the busy flu season. It is tiring and often it is a thankless job. That is why a lot of pharmacists block everything out at work and don't care anymore. They accept that this is how things are and their job is just a job and not a career. It is a lot easier to criticize them but until you do it 52 weeks a year, it is hard to know what they have go thru every day.

How do you know how many hours/days I week?

I work 25 hours a week (3 days) at a chain and I do 40 hours at rotations.

Meaning I'm at "work" 65 hours a week. Meaning I'm "working" 7 days a week meaning I NEVER get to sleep past 7:30 Am.

Stop making excuses, own up to the profession and be a professional. How many people getting paid 9 dollars an hour in chipotle making burritos for a living would love to have your job and get paid 55 an hour to make sure that the white warfarin 10 mg tablet in the bottle matches the white
Warfarin 10 mg tablet on the computer screen?
 
Show off somewhere else, nobody cares man

This isn't about showing off. This is about unplugging most of you from the matrix. Wake up, get over yourselves, go change the world. Be nicer to your parents, your spouse, your gf/bf, your family, make some time for friends.

I frequent a lot of forums and its only the pharmacists who bitch and complain and bitch and complain about how hard life is.

I'm going to say this one more time.

After 6 years of school, you become a DOCTOR. You have to become a DOCTOR so that you can match the metrogel box in front of you with the metrogel box on the screen. Think about that for 15 seconds.

Thought about it?

Now that you realize how asinine that sounds, be happy that we have come this far, stop ****ing complaining, and try and further the profession. In a way we have already scammed the system. Everybody says "IM A DOCTOR, why do I have to fill tablets?"

It's not that you're a doctor filling tablets; it's that you're filling tablets, but they call you a doctor. You're always going to be filling tablets; it's just that in 2013, you're a doctor that does that.

Unplugged yet?
 
😆

People love to complain. All people, not just pharmacists.

This is true. I think there are some people that complain and need to push a view that their life is worse than others. I don't see it on many forums, but I know many students from various majors on Facebook that complain. I know undergrad music majors that complain about how hard their music program is because they have to go to rehearsal for an hour after class 1 day a week. I know social work students that complain about their upcoming test in family communications. I know pre-pharm students that complain about undergrad sciences and I know pharmacy students that complain about classes and exams. I think it's healthy for people to vent and there isn't anything wrong with venting, but complaining is an unhealthy aspect of human nature that I think everyone is subject to.

My red flag on that is when someone compares their life to others and somehow needs to push across that they've got it worse and that we need to pity them.
 
How do you know how many hours/days I week?

I work 25 hours a week (3 days) at a chain and I do 40 hours at rotations.

Meaning I'm at "work" 65 hours a week. Meaning I'm "working" 7 days a week meaning I NEVER get to sleep past 7:30 Am.

Stop making excuses, own up to the profession and be a professional. How many people getting paid 9 dollars an hour in chipotle making burritos for a living would love to have your job and get paid 55 an hour to make sure that the white warfarin 10 mg tablet in the bottle matches the white
Warfarin 10 mg tablet on the computer screen?

People working at chipotle have 300 k in student loan? You are not working as a RPH. You are working under a RPH's license. The RPh is the one who's accountable if she dispensed 10mg of warfarin instead of 1mg. Come back when you are actually working as RPH. Before then this is just all talk.
 
I love how the average reported debt is creeping up, it's now at 300k+. Soon, we'll be talking of pharmacy students with 7 figure debt. Just because someone takes out some obscene loan amount doesn't mean they are entitled to an outrageous salary.

It's not hard to to make sure you don't give 10mg warfarin to a person needed 1mg, it's stamped on the tablet!
 
It's not hard to to make sure you don't give 10mg warfarin to a person needed 1mg, it's stamped on the tablet!

Damn, where do you work? I'd love to have your job. Just sit on my ass and compare a picture to what's in the bottle. That's all pharmacists do, right? 🙄
 
I love how the average reported debt is creeping up, it's now at 300k+. Soon, we'll be talking of pharmacy students with 7 figure debt. Just because someone takes out some obscene loan amount doesn't mean they are entitled to an outrageous salary.

It's not hard to to make sure you don't give 10mg warfarin to a person needed 1mg, it's stamped on the tablet!

I would be interested to see what the true average debt is. Not the SDN-alarmist reported version.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I love how the average reported debt is creeping up, it's now at 300k+. Soon, we'll be talking of pharmacy students with 7 figure debt. Just because someone takes out some obscene loan amount doesn't mean they are entitled to an outrageous salary.

It's not hard to to make sure you don't give 10mg warfarin to a person needed 1mg, it's stamped on the tablet!

Didn't 20/20 do a report about pharmacy errors? This family was mentioned and the patient died because the RPH gave the wrong warfarin dose: http://www.theledger.com/article/20100301/NEWS/3015049
 
I would be interested to see what the true average debt is. Not the SDN-alarmist reported version.

With two new private schools in my area, I can tell you that most students come out with 200k+...

Half of these fools, um students, don't know what they got themselves into.
 
I would be interested to see what the true average debt is. Not the SDN-alarmist reported version.

Just do the math. When tuition alone is 45 k a year with unsubsidize 6.8% and 7.9% interest rate plus living cost, you are going to owe more than 300 k when you graduate. Even at state schools that charge 25 k a year, you are going to owe more than 200 k. This is only for pharmacy school and doesn't include undergrad. Punch in the numbers and get back to us.
 
I would be interested to see what the true average debt is. Not the SDN-alarmist reported version.

That is all we do, though. Counseling patients? LOL!!!!!!! Who has time for that when working in a 4,000 script per week store?

Oh, I forgot, we also answer phones and ring out people's front store merchandise.

Again, you're thinking "I'm a doctor who rings out stuff from the front." When you should be thinking "damn, I ring out stuff from the front and they call me a doctor."

I also noticed most pharmacy personnel have huge egos.