Why does Kw increase acidity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reburbia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If Kw=(H)(OH)
Then why does an increase in Kw necessarily mean that the water is getting more acidic (more H) and not more basic (more OH)?

For some context, I'm looking at a EK passage where higher temps increase the Kw. A Kw of 2.92E-14 produces a pH of 6.7

Members don't see this ad.

If Kw=(H)(OH)
Then why does an increase in Kw necessarily mean that the water is getting more acidic (more H) and not more basic (more OH)?

For some context, I'm looking at a EK passage where higher temps increase the Kw. A Kw of 2.92E-14 produces a pH of 6.7

The formation of water is an exothermic process heat is considered a product.
Then, if you add heat the reaction will shift to the left, increasing both H+ and OH-. I would think that Kw would increase along with [H+] and [OH-], the reaction would still be neutral but it would change the pH of neutral water (would be lower).

Somebody please correct if I'm wrong.

if you increase Kw, then the product of H*OH must increase. Therefore concentrations of both species are increasing.

Definition of acidity: pH = -log[H]. There is more H, therefore it is more acidic.

But wait there's more!

pOH = -log[OH]. There is more OH, therefore it is also more basic.

I mean if you have pure water and the H+ concentration is increasing, it has to come from somewhere, right? It must be from the H2O's dissociating their hydrogen.

The formation of water is an exothermic process heat is considered a product.
Then, if you add heat the reaction will shift to the left, increasing both H+ and OH-. I would think that Kw would increase along with [H+] and [OH-], the reaction would still be neutral but it would change the pH of neutral water (would be lower).

Somebody please correct if I'm wrong.

Yeah but pOH + pH DOES NOT= 14