Money has a strange way of dwindling away very quickly when all sorts of costs we have no idea about kick in. You have all the standard facilities, profs, staff, etc...but you have stupid things that add up.........One of the things you learn about when you do project management stuff (sorry to bring this up again for anyone that actually reads my posts..but I am bombarded with it right now) is how people don't factor in lots of "small costs" that build up..aka flights to locales, food for clients, etc. It is the same with medical schools. They have all sorts of costs that pop up everywhere. I am sure they make a profit, how large I have no clue, but I have the feeling a lot of it is reinvested back into the school. Medical schools are still a business, the only difference is that you are the customer, as well as the product.