Why does "Physical Therapist" keep dropping on CNN's list of top 100 jobs in America?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WVPT

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2012- PTs were number 7
2013- PTs were number 44
2015- PTs were number 81
and in this year's list, 2017, PT is not even in the top 100?

I am currently a high school biology teacher who was accepted to PT school and beginning the transition to PT this year. Any insight as to why it has fallen on this list?

Members don't see this ad.

more work for same pay.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The education cost is high, length of school is very long. Pay is pretty low. Also, in some settings, I think the schedules are getting a little crazy. Seeing a pt every 30 mins, getting in notes, trying to overlap patients to pump out units.

Reactions: 3 users
I also do not use CNN as my main source of news, but I feel like most news outlets are only biased in politics, not so much job outlook/rating scales. Regardless, thank you all for your input.

Last edited:
ive been a PT for 23 years, I have seen a decrease in job vacancies. I think the cost to finish the program is also exorbitant.

Reactions: 1 users
US News just released their 2017 Best Jobs list and PT was #16. I actually don't mind it dropping down these types of ranking. Maybe it will be the market from becoming oversaturated with people chasing the next "hot job".

Education costs $
Productiving demands are UP
stress is UP
Patient care is DOWN

PS - OT always beats you guys out :)
PPS J/K we are sister fields. Strongly support my PT bros and sisters :)

Education costs $
Productiving demands are UP
stress is UP
Patient care is DOWN

PS - OT always beats you guys out :)
PPS J/K we are sister fields. Strongly support my PT bros and sisters :)

Education: definitely an issue. I would not recommend PT if you have to incur >$80k/debt.
Productivity: I've never felt pressured in any setting. If you do point-of-care documentation then it's not hard to meet productivity standards. Also, making money means you have to be productive.
Stress: depends on the therapist.
Patient care: depends on the clinic.

If you do home health, you can make a good income and only see 6-7 patients a day with minimal stress. Every job is going to require productivity and every job is going to have challenges. But I'd rather be a PT than an MD or an RN. I see the work they do every day and I don't envy them at all.

Reactions: 1 user
OP - To use a physics term, I think it depends on your "frame of reference". For ex, let me give you a comparison with my previous job in I/T:

Then: I get 150-200 emails/day. Weekends, I'd get 80-100 emails.
Now: I get may be 10-15 emails/day, and pretty much nothing on weekends. In the beginning, I thought the hospital email server was down b/c I got so few emails...

Then: everything was due *yesterday*, from code reviews to test results to presentations to customers/management to meetings with other groups.
Now: oh, you didn't get to eval/treat Mr X? no big deal, we'll get to him tomorrow.

Then: It was hard to keep a steady workout routine b/c the hours were long and I'd be too tired at the end of the day to do anything.
Now: I get my 60 mins of exercise pretty much every day.

Then: I slept fitfully and often woke up at night thinking about problems at the office.
Now: I sleep like a baby, straight through.

Then: Lay-offs was a constant worry.
Now: my particular office has 5 PT/OT vacancies it cannot fill. The only way to get fired would be to commit a gross HIPAA violation or to take a crap on your boss' desk.

So, for me, PT is certainly much much more preferable to my previous job. YMMV.

Reactions: 6 users
Check indeed.com Salaries are going up

Eh I dont see anything for my state.

OP - To use a physics term, I think it depends on your "frame of reference". For ex, let me give you a comparison with my previous job in I/T:

Then: I get 150-200 emails/day. Weekends, I'd get 80-100 emails.
Now: I get may be 10-15 emails/day, and pretty much nothing on weekends. In the beginning, I thought the hospital email server was down b/c I got so few emails...

Then: everything was due *yesterday*, from code reviews to test results to presentations to customers/management to meetings with other groups.
Now: oh, you didn't get to eval/treat Mr X? no big deal, we'll get to him tomorrow.

Then: It was hard to keep a steady workout routine b/c the hours were long and I'd be too tired at the end of the day to do anything.
Now: I get my 60 mins of exercise pretty much every day.

Then: I slept fitfully and often woke up at night thinking about problems at the office.
Now: I sleep like a baby, straight through.

Then: Lay-offs was a constant worry.
Now: my particular office has 5 PT/OT vacancies it cannot fill. The only way to get fired would be to commit a gross HIPAA violation or to take a crap on your boss' desk.

So, for me, PT is certainly much much more preferable to my previous job. YMMV.

Do you know approx how much your office pays noob OTs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sure salaries are going up in some locales (probably rural areas), just like they are going down in others (desirable areas, or cities with a lot of PT schools). So to say that "salaries are going up" across the board is a gross generalization.

I am sure salaries are going up in some locales (probably rural areas), just like they are going down in others (desirable areas, or cities with a lot of PT schools). So to say that "salaries are going up" across the board is a gross generalization.
Demand couldn't be higher, markets will not be saturated for many years. check BLS.gov, not CNN. I know people in home healthcare making 100/hr. Each state is different i will admit, but it couldn't be a better time to be a physical therapist.

34% Growth Rate! That's astronomical, don't think any other field has that number.
OT is at 24% growth rate. DPT is a new degree still finding its place, but the new DPTs out there are kicking butt and rising to the position.

The BLS numbers are not always accurate. They have (until recently) projected a very high growth rate for pharmacists. But pharmacy is on the way to saturation - just read the Pharmacy section of SDN. I also have at least a half-dozen cousins/nieces/nephews in the pharmacy business and they all laugh at the BLS projections.

For PT, the growth in the elderly population and the availability of funds to take care of said population are two distinct items. While the number of seniors is indeed growing very fast, Medicare and insurance companies are getting stingier with reimbursements because money doesn't grow on trees and the GOP Congress doesn't want to raise taxes.

I am glad you are so positive about the outlook for our profession, but you have just started school. Talk to veteran PTs, ask them what they have seen in the last 5-10 years and what they think will happen in the next 5. You may get a different picture.

DPTs make more then OTs. DPTs generate much more money. My buddy started in sacramento at 84k, fresh out of school in outpatient ortho.

Pharmacist have a growth rate of only 3%... They're not on par with PTs.

Also why are there so many OTs in the thread telling people what it's like to be a DPT? I don't get that

Exactly. The answer is more nuanced. If you go to any conference like CSM you will soon discover that there is no shortage of jobs for PT's in this country, as long as you're flexible with location and setting. You can make $90-100k before taxes as a new grad as long as you're willing to be a little flexible.

Also why are there so many OTs in the thread telling people what it's like to be a DPT? I don't get that

@SloanTriumph Oh great, another student who thinks he knows everything. Attitude adjustment is required...Both you and @Bones26

Let's set things straight here: OT and PT are sister fields and we work together hand in hand, and if you have this kind of condescending attitude you won't be working for long (or working well) in rehab if you treat your fellow rehabilitation therapists like that. I've seen it in neurological settings with OTs who think they are superior to PTs, and in outpatient orthopedic settings in the opposite direction. You'll quickly be known as "that guy" who has an attitude problem and no one likes working with. I know a LOT of PT's, and they'd laugh at your tone and comments. I sure hope your program isn't fostering this kind of arrogant dismissive attitude towards other healthcare professionals.

As for you knowing people making "$100 an hour" in home health, that's funny stuff. Shoot me a PM, because I have a bridge I need to sell you. Worth every penny, it has a great view! Your comment reminds me of what my grandmother said to my sister, if you ever get offered a job making $200 an hour and all you have to do is lie down, it's not a good job. No PT or OT is making $100+ an hour as a regular clinician in any setting.

DPTs make more then OTs. DPTs generate much more money. My buddy started in sacramento at 84k, fresh out of school in outpatient ortho.

PTs and OTs make pretty much a nearly identical salary, see the BLS reports. Also, OT growth rate is at 28%, not 24%. OT salary is $81k vs a PT salary of 84k. My guess is that OTs are more heavily represented in school settings for obvious reasons; and that is where you see salary differential. OTs and PTs in hospitals and outpatient settings are going to make nearly, if not identical salaries. I'm kind of sick of these "my buddy" comments. Our salaries are determined by reimbursement rates; hence why OT and PT salary is nearly identical.

"DPT is a new degree still finding its place, but the new DPTs out there are kicking butt and rising to the position"

Really? How do you feel about that extra education tab running up 50-80k more than a clinician who needed a MS to be a practitioner, and making the same exact salary as she does? Some PT graduates are coming out of their school with 150k in debt, that doesn't seem like the DPT is really finding a place to me. It's a contentious issue but I stand with a majority of PTs who I have spoken to: the "doctorate" iis unnecessary. OT is also moving towards a "doctorate" and I fail to see the benefit. We are making our degree less accessible by saddling our new grads with tons of debt, when they will not make a red cent more due to that degree. We are already an overwhelmingly rich, white, female field. We need diversity and this certainly won't help that happen, but hey, that's a topic for another thread.

Fun fact: Outside the US most PT and OT programs are combined and are called physiotherapy.

Last edited:
1484158559177m.jpg

CNN's list is generally garbage, written by outsiders that skim government reports and biased surveys. In the case of PT, I think they were mistaken to have it so high on the list to begin with, as the field has been going downhill for a while because of the reasons mentioned in this thread (more debt, more training, same pay, etc) but on paper the field looked fantastic on the surface to industry outsiders.

View attachment 213628 as the field has been going downhill for a while because of the reasons mentioned in this thread (more debt, more training, same pay, etc) but on paper the field looked fantastic on the surface to industry outsiders.

This is too pessimistic. If you can minimize your debt and keep it below, let's say, $60-80k (undergrad+ PT school), then it's not a bad profession to get into. It has a lot of opportunities, it's flexible, it pays better than the national average, and it offers something for everyone. But is it worth $100k-$150k of debt? Probably not.

This is too pessimistic. If you can minimize your debt and keep it below, let's say, $60-80k (undergrad+ PT school), then it's not a bad profession to get into. It has a lot of opportunities, it's flexible, it pays better than the national average, and it offers something for everyone. But is it worth $100k-$150k of debt? Probably not.

You might be able to do that (60-80k) - anecdotal info: most PTs I have met have 6 figure debt. I wouldn't be shocked if 60-80k is not really typical, and it's more than that.

Productivity demands and pressure to treat everyone is due to healthcare reimbursement rates going down. Ask around, most days many therapists will tell you the same. I'd tell anyone interested in becoming an OT to think twice, and look into NP or PA if they want to help people and get a better return on their debt load.

You might be able to do that (60-80k) - anecdotal info: most PTs I have met have 6 figure debt. I wouldn't be shocked if 60-80k is not really typical, and it's more than that.

Productivity demands and pressure to treat everyone is due to healthcare reimbursement rates going down. Ask around, most days many therapists will tell you the same. I'd tell anyone interested in becoming an OT to think twice, and look into NP or PA if they want to help people and get a better return on their debt load.
Productivity demands go for everyone in a hospital, not just rehab. Also while NP and PA may not have as much debt compared to PT and OT, the workload is equivalent to that of a doctor's, for a fraction of the pay.

And occupationalguy, what was so condescending about Sloan and bones comments? We hardly ever have OTs posting on this forum so it just seems odd. It's not that you are not welcome, it's just new to us. And what's wrong with Sloan knowing a few people and posting that information? You're the only one that has really posted any condescending comments.

Reactions: 3 users
And occupationalguy, what was so condescending about Sloan and bones comments? We hardly ever have OTs posting on this forum so it just seems odd. It's not that you are not welcome, it's just new to us. And what's wrong with Sloan knowing a few people and posting that information? You're the only one that has really posted any condescending comments.

Agreed. Not sure how my comment was condescending. That's not how it was intended. It was merely an observation. I've been a practicing therapist for several years and wander off/onto this forum. Student OT presence seems new and a little bit from left field, but I don't think anyone has a problem with it.

I did not say 60-80k was typical, but that you shouldn't incur more debt than that to become a PT. My family helped me keep the debt to that range. But I have classmates who had $150k in debt when they graduated. That's fine if you're going to be an MD, but not a PT.

Any job is going to have productivity demands. PT's aren't more pressured than your typical retail salesman. Every job is demanding at some point.

Agreed. Not sure how my comment was condescending. That's not how it was intended. It was merely an observation. I've been a practicing therapist for several years and wander off/onto this forum. Student OT presence seems new and a little bit from left field, but I don't think anyone has a problem with it.

"Also why are there so many OTs in the thread telling people what it's like to be a DPT? I don't get that" - I guess I find that tone rather unwelcoming. What's not to get? We work hand in hand. Yes, I know what it's like to be a PT since I work with them every day M-F.

"And what's wrong with Sloan knowing a few people and posting that information? "

I don't have a problem with posting information. I find it unhelpful to discuss salary and use anecdotal information which is clearly out of left field: scroll above about the friend making "$100 dollars an hour". No OT or PT makes $100 an hour.

Some home-health agencies pay $100/eval, in high COL areas. An eval should take about 1 hr. However, if the agency pays that high per-visit, it probably squeezes the PT elsewhere: no or very low mileage, ridiculous productivity requirements, etc. I work in HH for a hospital system; many of my colleagues come from private HH agencies and we often compare working conditions. There is no free lunch.

"Also why are there so many OTs in the thread telling people what it's like to be a DPT? I don't get that" - I guess I find that tone rather unwelcoming. What's not to get? We work hand in hand. Yes, I know what it's like to be a PT since I work with them every day M-F.

"And what's wrong with Sloan knowing a few people and posting that information? "

I don't have a problem with posting information. I find it unhelpful to discuss salary and use anecdotal information which is clearly out of left field: scroll above about the friend making "$100 dollars an hour". No OT or PT makes $100 an hour.

You sound insecure about being an OT. DPTs have a much bigger responsibility in the rehabilitation process than OTs. Most clinics have more PTs hired than OTs. Your first post stated the OTs are gonna beat PTs out, so you're the one trying to make this a competition.

The OT i shadowed taught patients how to put on socks all day, and ADL toilet duties. Not really interested in that. Just saying i prefer PT over OT. Each career is what you make of it.

Don't bash our profession and expect us not to defend it, then say we're being rude when we explain our reasons for choosing PT.

Occupational guy, I skim different parts of this forum and have seen your posts in the psych subsection as well because I myself almost pursued psych before going with ot and like to read their threads out of curiosity.
As ot's, I also wish we were paid more for the amount of debt we have to take out but for someone who so strongly voices his opinion about debt and low pay why would you consider taking out twice the debt to go back to school for a phd in psych a degree which doesn't pay much more than ot ? it's more than just about money at this point. Yes there are ot's who make either close to six figures or into the six figures without being at the executive level and if you stopped complaining all over the forum and arguing with people who don't agree with everything you say and looked for different or more work, you could probably do it too. Don't make this all about money when really you just regret your career choice overall which is fine but then just be honest about it.

You sound insecure about being an OT. DPTs have a much bigger responsibility in the rehabilitation process than OTs. Most clinics have more PTs hired than OTs. Your first post stated the OTs are gonna beat PTs out, so you're the one trying to make this a competition.

The comment I made:
"PS - OT always beats you guys out :)
PPS J/K we are sister fields. Strongly support my PT bros and sisters :)"

YOU REALLY think this is competitive? It's a joke about OT ranking higher in the stupid CNN rating which is what this thread is about! Please take note of the use of smiley faces and my statement that we are sister fields, and that I STRONGLY support my PT brothers and sisters. I find it difficult to believe that you actually think this is a put down of PT, if so you might wanna work on your English comprehension skills.

The OT i shadowed taught patients how to put on socks all day, and ADL toilet duties. Not really interested in that. Just saying i prefer PT over OT. Each career is what you make of it.
Don't bash our profession and expect us not to defend it, then say we're being rude when we explain our reasons for choosing PT.

No one bashed anyone. You stated that "PT plays a bigger role in the rehab process". That's a very wide brush you are painting with brother. A large claim coming from a student who has NEVER worked in rehab. What setting are we talking about? Sports injuries in an outpatient setting? Sure PT is critical. Neuro setting? OT is critical. Hand injuries? OT. Inpatient settings, you're gonna see a lot of OTs. SNF? You're gonna see a TON of OT. See below. I don't think your claims are borne out by data, or experience.

I've questioned the utility and wisdom of the move towards clinical doctorates in rehab fields. You have interpreted this as a "bash". My PT colleagues and I work synergistically for patient care. I actually showed one your comments and she had a pretty good laugh, and said what I also think: only a student who has never worked in our field can speak so casually about things he really doesn't know.

I agree with you that our fields are what you make of them. Have you ever worked in neuro setting? I find it rewarding to educate my patients to eat and dress post CVA/stroke/traumatic injury using compensatory techniques, remediation of dysfunction, as well as adaptive equipment. As you can imagine, a patient who learns to feed, dress, or bathe himself or herself following a traumatic event is pretty happy to be able to do so.

For example: I'm at a globally renown hospital in an outpatient neuro setting. I had a patient who is a diabetic and was unable to inject himself with a needle of insulin. The patient was experiencing fatigue, and instability, and dizzy spells due to poorly managed blood glucose levels, and sleep patterns which had deteriorated as a result. The PT stopped her session and brought the patient over to me because she knew that working on gait with a patient with these problems makes little sense. We work together, and collaborate in this manner. I connected the patient with a support group for diabetics, and an OT cooking class to educate him on healthy eating habits. OTs successfully taught this patient to eat properly managing his blood glucose levels, sleep patterns, etc. We also addressed fine motor deficits so the patient could inject himself, and designed a system to help the patient to remember when he should inject the insulin. Once that happened it made SENSE to send him over to PT to focus on gait. What on earth are you going to do with gait when the guy has his blood sugar all over the map, and can't dress himself or feed himself? I have countless examples where I have gone over to my PT colleagues and had them intervene when their area of expertise would be critical for patient care.

I have immense respect for my PT colleagues, and not one would ever speak like you. I'm not sure what school you are at, but they are doing a terrible job of educating their students about respect for others in the field.

Note: I do not believe you have demonstrated the benefit of a move towards a pricey clinical doctorate. Anecdotally, nearly all my PT colleagues, some of whom have the DPT lament the move towards the clinical doctorate.

Note: I believe your claims regarding salary are based on wishful thinking. PTs and OTs make nearly the exact same salary (check BLS reports) it's off by a few hundred dollars. Any student who goes into PT assuming he will make the $200 you claim is easy to swing is buying snake oil. Pt degrees (and our OTD) often cost 6 figures.

Note:
While I would never have a desire to do so, some OTs go down the route you are proscribing and open a physical therapy outpatient practice. In fact I did my level II in a chain of outpatient physical therapy rehab practice in SO CAL opened by a group of occupational therapists.

Last edited:
The BLS numbers are not always accurate. They have (until recently) projected a very high growth rate for pharmacists. But pharmacy is on the way to saturation - just read the Pharmacy section of SDN. I also have at least a half-dozen cousins/nieces/nephews in the pharmacy business and they all laugh at the BLS projections.

For PT, the growth in the elderly population and the availability of funds to take care of said population are two distinct items. While the number of seniors is indeed growing very fast, Medicare and insurance companies are getting stingier with reimbursements because money doesn't grow on trees and the GOP Congress doesn't want to raise taxes.

I am glad you are so positive about the outlook for our profession, but you have just started school. Talk to veteran PTs, ask them what they have seen in the last 5-10 years and what they think will happen in the next 5. You may get a different picture.

You need to pool Bls, hrsa, as well as the professional associations tracking data to get a good grasp. But hey, if you network during school then you're already ahead of whatever game is going on!

I'm curious what ACA kill will end up doing to insurance snatchbacks. I'm predicting less tightening after repeal and it unravels in the coming years. I know Medicare tries to cut back on therapy too......although the procedural waste train keeps on flowing lol.

Pharmacist have a growth rate of only 3%... They're not on par with PTs.

BLS caught up just recently. That projection was predicted in the pharm forum years and years and years in advance. It's sad actually. Hospitals require PGY 1s or 2s now due to lack of jobs and the starting pay is like 80-85k. Looks fine for PT.....but tack on medical school debt: 200k+

Incredibly sad.

Therapy, PA, and NP won't be there til mid 2020s with projections I believe. I've seen some acceptance rates of sub 5%. My was sub 7%. The associated pharm and law programs? 25%+......and they're good, particularly the pharm.

Exactly. The answer is more nuanced. If you go to any conference like CSM you will soon discover that there is no shortage of jobs for PT's in this country, as long as you're flexible with location and setting. You can make $90-100k before taxes as a new grad as long as you're willing to be a little flexible.

Ya. Definitely.

View attachment 213628
CNN's list is generally garbage, written by outsiders that skim government reports and biased surveys. In the case of PT, I think they were mistaken to have it so high on the list to begin with, as the field has been going downhill for a while because of the reasons mentioned in this thread (more debt, more training, same pay, etc) but on paper the field looked fantastic on the surface to industry outsiders.

From supply and demand and satisfaction, this was actually fine. There are jobs literally everywhere. But of course, healthcare doesn't matter for supply and demand for pay increase if insurance doesn't pay higher.

That being said,. My subfield will be significantly more intellectually stimulating with the differential diagnosis, outcome assessments, and hands on work compared to many other fields I see in the healthcare....I.e. Primary care, gas, nursing, pharm,dental (although that hands on is probably very gratifying). Keeping loans manageable.

Everything said is correct to a degree tho......some ppl also go to overpriced DO schools as a career change to work as a psychiatrist because it suits them too tho (tongue in cheek here ;))

We've talked before.....

Last edited:
Seems as if the trends are similar for us - 27% growth rate in according to BLS. I wouldn't be surprised if that figure is adjusted upward as boomers age.

This thread has got me thinking about opening my own OT/PT practice though...I'm just happy that I picked a 1st tier program and ended up with less than 40k in debt from my entire degree. I have the freedom to choose that route...if I want to put the hard work in. I have neither the business acumen or the experience needed at this point to open my own practice. It's fun to daydream though!

Last edited:
I am currently a high school biology teacher who was accepted to PT school and beginning the transition to PT this year. Any insight as to why it has fallen on this list?

Any field is what you make of it. Yes we work with more patients than our predecessors and pay has not evolved with the increased workload. The focus of PT seems to be moving more toward evaluation and not treatment, and by treatment I mean 'quality treatment.' More new patients = new bills = more money. The real problem is US and how we defend what we do. It is our impotent lobbying on capitol hill that prevents us from seeing justified returns on our bills. This forces clinics to bring in more patient to cover costs (without hiring more PTs). With quantity we lose quality. It doesn't have to be this way.

For one, direct access allows us more opportunity for cash-based services (keep 100% of what you charge without hassling with insurance companies). Also, owning your own clinic will bring in aggregate returns. Supplementing PT with academic or kinesio-like (or other) endeavors will bring in more money without forcing your to do more slave-driven PT. Much of what happens to you is your own doing. People don't like to acknowledge it, but it's true.

Any field is what you make of it. Yes we work with more patients than our predecessors and pay has not evolved with the increased workload. The focus of PT seems to be moving more toward evaluation and not treatment, and by treatment I mean 'quality treatment.' More new patients = new bills = more money. The real problem is US and how we defend what we do. It is our impotent lobbying on capitol hill that prevents us from seeing justified returns on our bills. This forces clinics to bring in more patient to cover costs (without hiring more PTs). With quantity we lose quality. It doesn't have to be this way.

For one, direct access allows us more opportunity for cash-based services (keep 100% of what you charge without hassling with insurance companies). Also, owning your own clinic will bring in aggregate returns. Supplementing PT with academic or kinesio-like (or other) endeavors will bring in more money without forcing your to do more slave-driven PT. Much of what happens to you is your own doing. People don't like to acknowledge it, but it's true.

Agreed. To be clear, a TINY fraction of PTs do what youare saying. How many PTs run their own practices? 5%? The law of averages is the law of averages for a reason, I wouldn't go into a field thinking you're going to be at the top 1-5% of salary earners as a expectation. Can some do it? Sure. Will most? No. That's why the averages are real.

Best of luck to all in this thread - I can tell this is a smart group from the topic and level of discussion. You'll all go far.

Agreed. To be clear, a TINY fraction of PTs do what youare saying. How many PTs run their own practices? 5%? The law of averages is the law of averages for a reason, I wouldn't go into a field thinking you're going to be at the top 1-5% of salary earners as a expectation. Can some do it? Sure. Will most? No. That's why the averages are real.

Best of luck to all in this thread - I can tell this is a smart group from the topic and level of discussion. You'll all go far.
PT, OT and SLP are all important. Rem its not about stroking ego's, at the end of the day its about the well being of the patients. Doesnt matter what anybody thinks as long as you are doing your job and getting the patient better.

PT, OT and SLP are all important. Rem its not about stroking ego's, at the end of the day its about the well being of the patients. Doesnt matter what anybody thinks as long as you are doing your job and getting the patient better.

Absolutely. No doubt on any of that.

The real problem is US and how we defend what we do. It is our impotent lobbying on capitol hill that prevents us from seeing justified returns on our bills.

But if we skip the insurance companies completely and go straight to the market, then we don't need to lobby anyone. We have legal direct access in all 50 states now, with some states more liberal than others. Go the market and sell PT. When you consider the future of Medicare, we are going to have to sell a lot more in the future.

But if we skip the insurance companies completely and go straight to the market, then we don't need to lobby anyone. We have legal direct access in all 50 states now, with some states more liberal than others. Go the market and sell PT. When you consider the future of Medicare, we are going to have to sell a lot more in the future.

For the love of God.......please don't talk about Medicare guhhhhh

Yup! Agreed.

Paradigm shift?

Paradigm shift?

Maybe, but that's quite a shift that needs to happen if you're talking about 97%+ working for someone else vs 1-3% owning their own practice.

I could be wrong but I don't see this as a shift happening: massive investment of resources required, not to mention long hours and labor of love is required for one to open his/her own practice. Not ONLY that, but there is a climate of increase cost controls and regulation on practices. The move in managed care is to punish fee for service and encourage alternative billing models. Under the ACA (which it remains to see if the reforms will last) there was a strong push to discourage private practice and encourage care affiliated with hospitals/ sattelite practices.

Again, I could be wrong, but I do not see the future trend in rehab involving a paradigm shift to practitioners opening their own practices. Most practitioners will be in hospitals, and outpatient settings like SNFs etc. Does anyone have data showing an emerging shift? I'm genuinely curious if this is the case.