1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Why does UMich accept so many?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Darwin, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Darwin

10+ Year Member

Are the numbers on usnews bogus? It states that of the 350 out of state applicants who were interviewed that 279 of them were offered acceptances...for 81 seats! Do they really have THAT much waitlist movement? If so, I was wondering why...seems completely out of the ordinary for a top ten.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Darwin

10+ Year Member

4. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Apparently they have a low yield. Or a big waitlist that they take a lot of people off.

5. I just found that info on USNews.... but the number accepted was 243 not 279... but I dont think that was your point.

I guess it confirms what people said at Michigan on interview day.... "getting on the wait-list is a great thing and that the odds of getting in are very good after that."

By the way... thanks for posting that info.... I am an out-of-stater.... waitlisted there and it is one of my top choices. I never knew you could get that detailed admissions info from USNews. Good luck.

6. Where did you get that information?

The MSAR says that 350 out of state applicants were interviewed and there were 81 out of state new entrants.

7. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

If you go to the USNews site for rankings of medical schools, either primary care or research, click on the name of the school, and then go to the drop-down box labeled more on this school, you will find more detailed Admissions information than is given on the initial page. Here's the <a href="http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/dir-med/admis_04051.htm" target="_blank">link</a> for U. Michigan.