Why does UMich accept so many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darwin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the numbers on usnews bogus? It states that of the 350 out of state applicants who were interviewed that 279 of them were offered acceptances...for 81 seats! Do they really have THAT much waitlist movement? If so, I was wondering why...seems completely out of the ordinary for a top ten.

Members don't see this ad.

Apparently they have a low yield. Or a big waitlist that they take a lot of people off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just found that info on USNews.... but the number accepted was 243 not 279... but I dont think that was your point.

I guess it confirms what people said at Michigan on interview day.... "getting on the wait-list is a great thing and that the odds of getting in are very good after that."

By the way... thanks for posting that info.... I am an out-of-stater.... waitlisted there and it is one of my top choices. I never knew you could get that detailed admissions info from USNews. Good luck.

Where did you get that information?

The MSAR says that 350 out of state applicants were interviewed and there were 81 out of state new entrants.

If you go to the USNews site for rankings of medical schools, either primary care or research, click on the name of the school, and then go to the drop-down box labeled more on this school, you will find more detailed Admissions information than is given on the initial page. Here's the <a href="http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/dir-med/admis_04051.htm" target="_blank">link</a> for U. Michigan.