Why does Virginia Tech have two Med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1AO KTG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious.... I wonder which one will be better as well..(I like the area). Man.... If you interview there I wonder if they would ask something like, "well why didn't you apply to the other school across the street"? Why would they need two different schools? They should have let someone like JMU open one.

Members don't see this ad.

You could ask the same thing about Michigan State....who knows.

how far apart are the two schools? do they share clinical training sites?

Members don't see this ad :)
how far apart are the two schools? do they share clinical training sites?

Never mind the Carilion one is in Roanoke for some reason. hmm. Yeah... I would hate to live there.

One is DO and has been around for a while. The other is MD and started up about 2 years ago (their first class is getting ready to start clinical rotations). The MD school is using a lot of the rotations that UVA has been using for years.

Think another MD school is opening in Virginia in 2013. Think it's called King College Medical School. 2 medical schools in 4 years, niiiice.

If I remember correctly, both Michigan State's med programs run out of the same building.

VCOM (the DO school) is not Virginia Tech's medical school. It just uses VT's facilities in Blacksburg. Virginia Tech only has one formally affiliated medical school, and that is VTCSOM (in Roanoke).

Reactions: 1 user
Michigan State does run out of the same building. I have heard they take classes together in years one and two (feel free to confirm).

If I remember correctly, both Michigan State's med programs run out of the same building.

I though the CHM was out of the life science building (on campus or the new facility in grand rapids) and the COM was out of fee hall (or Detroit or macomb)? But maybe that's just where the offices are.

You could ask the same thing about Michigan State....who knows.

MSU actually has three medical schools. College of Human Medicine (MD), College of Osteopathic Medicine (DO), and College of Veterinarian Medicine(DVM).

Michigan State does run out of the same building. I have heard they take classes together in years one and two (feel free to confirm).

MSUCHM (the MD college) and MSUCOM (the DO college) never took classes in year two together. In year one, some of the basic medical sciences are taken together (not all, one example is gross anatomy). However, for the incoming classes this year the two colleges will be completely seperate and will not be taking anymore classes with each other at all.

Michigan State organizes its medical programs (and other programs) as "colleges" and not "schools". One implication is that some of the facilities are shared, along with professors, who can also be shared with other departments of the university other than the medical colleges. So in the first year basic medical sciences, these courses were taught together (will not be for the incoming classes), so yes some classes were taught from the same building because both MD and DO students took the classes together (albeit different standards: MD pass rate 75% minimum, and DO pass rate 70% minimum usually, and this varies from class to class). The MD school has 2 preclinical campuses, one in East Lansing and one in Grand Rapids. So the Grand Rapids campus has completely separate facilities altogether. At the East Lansing campus, although classes will be taken separately for this incoming class, students will still share the anatomy lab with the DO students (and even other types of students). However, the "home bases" will always be separate, Radiology and the Life Sciences building for the MD students, and Fee Hall for the DO students. And I suppose all of this will only make sense if I mention that the classes were taught at certain locations and then broadcasted live (and recorded for later use) to the other locations (ex. the DO campuses at Macomb, DMC and the other MD campus at Grand Rapids). Usually, most of the lectures came from the East Lansing campus and broadcasted to the other satellite MD and DO campuses. But supposedly, especially since the classes will be taught completely separate from each other, where lectures are physically given will even out between campuses (professors will rotate).

I hope this clears some of the confusion. :laugh:

MSUCHM (the MD college) and MSUCOM (the DO college) never took classes in year two together. In year one, some of the basic medical sciences are taken together (not all, one example is gross anatomy). However, for the incoming classes this year the two colleges will be completely seperate and will not be taking anymore classes with each other at all.

Michigan State organizes its medical programs (and other programs) as "colleges" and not "schools". One implication is that some of the facilities are shared, along with professors, who can also be shared with other departments of the university other than the medical colleges. So in the first year basic medical sciences, these courses were taught together (will not be for the incoming classes), so yes some classes were taught from the same building because both MD and DO students took the classes together (albeit different standards: MD pass rate 75% minimum, and DO pass rate 70% minimum usually, and this varies from class to class). The MD school has 2 preclinical campuses, one in East Lansing and one in Grand Rapids. So the Grand Rapids campus has completely separate facilities altogether. At the East Lansing campus, although classes will be taken separately for this incoming class, students will still share the anatomy lab with the DO students (and even other types of students). However, the "home bases" will always be separate, Radiology and the Life Sciences building for the MD students, and Fee Hall for the DO students. And I suppose all of this will only make sense if I mention that the classes were taught at certain locations and then broadcasted live (and recorded for later use) to the other locations (ex. the DO campuses at Macomb, DMC and the other MD campus at Grand Rapids). Usually, most of the lectures came from the East Lansing campus and broadcasted to the other satellite MD and DO campuses. But supposedly, especially since the classes will be taught completely separate from each other, where lectures are physically given will even out between campuses (professors will rotate).

I hope this clears some of the confusion. :laugh:

I was close! Have you been to the GR campus?

I though the CHM was out of the life science building (on campus or the new facility in grand rapids) and the COM was out of fee hall (or Detroit or macomb)? But maybe that's just where the offices are.

MSU actually has three medical schools. College of Human Medicine (MD), College of Osteopathic Medicine (DO), and College of Veterinarian Medicine(DVM).

I only see 2

Well then... I guess ohio state also has tree medical schools... OSUCOM, vet, and OSUCOD (dentistry);

I only see 2

Well then... I guess ohio state also has tree medical schools... OSUCOM, vet, and OSUCOD (dentistry);

I certainly can see that! But MSU has human MED Osteopathic MED and Vet MED. Not sure why people are knocking vet med... Imagine having patients that couldn't tell you what was wrong... Wait the silence might be nice

Last edited:
I was close! Have you been to the GR campus?

Yeah. It was beautiful. The facilities are pretty awesome. You are in lectures or anatomy lab on the highest floors with windows all around you over looking the city. Just lots of sunlight in the building in general. Everything brand new obviously. The city is nice too.