Why don't DO's advertise as US-Trained Physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this a serious post? The bottom rung from any DO school isn’t even close to any top/ middle grad from a good Indian or Pakistan school.
Ok ok calm down

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a serious post? The bottom rung from any DO school isn’t even close to any top/ middle grad from a good Indian or Pakistan school.
Yeah people I've known from Pakistan and India did stuff in med school med students could only dream of here.

Reactions: 1 user
I find it doubtful that my school would fall short if LCME standards

At my school, we have ~1mil in research dollars for the whole school. At one point in her career, my old PI had more. We match well.

I think your school is abnormal in the sense that they have a strong research base. A decent amount of DO schools that match well seem to have really skimpy research operations. But they match well. So i'm not particularly impressed by LCME standards myself.

The LCME should find a way to absorb COCA before DO (and Caribbean) school expansion becomes completely unsustainable.

anti-trust would likely start to come into play. The reason we initially won back our ability to grant DO degrees after the merger in cali in the 60's is because LCME cannot become the sole arbiter of accreditation by brute force like that. lots of technicalities that i don't fully understand, but there are some obvious issues that still jump out to me. if one DO school wants to retain their identity, you/LCME/etc cannot stop them. It's obvious that there will be holdouts. At which point, *maybe* some DOs will have transitioned to LCME. And we'll continue to have our two tiered system.

And i wanted to emphasize the reason i bring up anti-trust: your reason clearly wades into anti-trust territory. You're clearly attempting to limit the supply of physicians by implementing a monopoly on accreditation.

I think fundamentally we are often left to our own devices in the match as most faculty simply do not know or understand it. Or simply have educational pedigrees that don't offer them connections to contact program directors or individuals in high places at programs you may want to interview at.

I kinda get your argument, but these days with reddit and sdn, i also don't entirely agree. so many people already go here or reddit for advice, almost entirely ignoring their own schools. When someone says, "take comlex only," that's obvious hogwash. aside from that, what exactly is the bad advice? And where's the data that it's any better at MDs? FWIW, MD world matched 94% this year. And DOs matched 85% with lingering DO programs. If we're at equivalent match rates, i'm not sure I see the issue, to be honest.

Wait so after you graduate as a DO you just pay for a caribbean MD? I'm confused you don't actually have to go back to school at all do you? since youd already have a medical degree you'd just be getting the letter change?

from what i heard, you basically take some online modules, throw 60k to a carib school, and they'll graduate you. and voila.., MD degree. my knowledge is mostly from that one MD&DO dude who gets brought up every once in a while on these boards.