Why go into optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kglmp83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read all the old posts and KHE's post about optometry and the oversupply, etc.

So why should one go into optometry (exclude personal reasons why you chose the career)? Is it pointless? Would it be better to choose another career or will the other careers choices also come with this level of negatives? I guess the second part of this question is my main question. Other careeres will come with its negatives but will it be as bad as optometry?

I want my carreer to be optometry and would feel out of place now if I chose a different major in college.

Members don't see this ad.

I have read all the old posts and KHE's post about optometry and the oversupply, etc.

So why should one go into optometry (exclude personal reasons why you chose the career)? Is it pointless? Would it be better to choose another career or will the other careers choices also come with this level of negatives? I guess the second part of this question is my main question. Other careeres will come with its negatives but will it be as bad as optometry?

I want my carreer to be optometry and would feel out of place now if I chose a different major in college.

I don't see anything bad about my career choice. I have had a very positive experience. This is my second career and I have much more autonomy. Optometry has been good to me and it will continue to support me in a manner that other careers cannot.

If you are looking for a free ride, then look elsewhere. If you want to help people, this is the right place. If you want to make enough money to live on, this is the right place. If you want a diverse selection of practice choices, this is the right place (private practice, corporate, hospital based, employee, locums). If you want job security, be sure to find a niche area and don't plan on living in a large city. The opportunities are there, but you must search for them and keep an open mind.

Every career has its ups and downs. You will find discontent everywhere. Take it for what its worth and live your dream.

I would suggest hanging out with many Optometrists and getting their feeling on the vocation. You will find a mulititude of opinions.

This forum seems to sway to the negative....just like any other forum on the net. Most are hangouts for people wanting a venue for venting. That seems to be the general purpose for any forum.

I don't have all the answers, but if you need a positive vote for Optometry, I'll give it to you. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or concerns.

Good luck,

Dr. Gump