Why Go OOS for an SMP?

Started by Gymgivitis
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gymgivitis

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why do people go out of state for SMPs if they could stay in-state for one? I guess it just doesn't make sense to me. Is it really worth it to pay out of state tuition for a program like Barry SMP versus staying in-state for a less notable SMP. I can understand if a program offers a guaranteed interview if you maintain a certain GPA, but other than that reasoning, it seems unnecessary. Can anyone comment on this? My state has 3 BIMS masters programs, and I don't see any point in applying to the more notable SMPs in other states. Also, wouldn't you lose your in-state status for your home state if you decided to study OOS for a couple years?
Thanks
 
Some states don't offer one, others may be seeking different goals too. The program I was in had at least 3 out of state students.