why has the avg gpa of accepted applicants gone up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moo

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a clue why in recent years the avg gpa of acceptees have gone up, from something like 3.50 in 96, to 3.65 last year? Do you think it has to do with grade inflation? Or do you think it's just because there are fewer applicants applying and so only the "hard-cores" are applying, i.e., those with higher gpas.

Members don't see this ad.

Check this out, averages dont mean much without the application of the standard deviation, when used, it gives a much different picture

Sorry, didnt put the link in:
<a href="http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/famg62001a.htm" target="_blank">http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/famg62001a.htm</a>

Members don't see this ad :)
Great link Mike! Thanks that was very informative.

Will the decrease in application trend continue?

unless the economy turns around, expect the trend to cease and reverse, in fact, I expect a HUGE increase in applicants this year. with the great economy of the past years, its no wonder app #'s have gone down, many people pursue medicine for reasons such as financial security, and a good economy doesn't warrant it. But don't think its easier to get in because of the lower numbers, the big chunk that keeps applying are the ones who really want it, and they keep getting smarter, and smarter,....

While I do agree with the last poster that the reverse trend will happen, I disagree that this years applicant pool is going to be "HUGE". The pre-med process takes time, i.e. all the req's that need to be met, volunteering and EC's, etc. The economy, while its been down over the last year or so, takes time to effect what paths people chose for their lives... I anticipate a few extra folks who were shafted last cycle to apply but nothing to drastic. Just my two pennies.

I don't see any future trend of GPA averages lowering. There might be a plateau at some point, but it is reasonable to assume that applicants do get smarter in terms of sizing up the competition and knowing when they're ready to apply. In my opiion, the size of the applicant pol would matter little. There may be small fluctuations over the coming years, but nothing drastic.