SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

why has the avg gpa of accepted applicants gone up?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by moo, Apr 15, 2002.

1. moo

moo 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Anyone have a clue why in recent years the avg gpa of acceptees have gone up, from something like 3.50 in 96, to 3.65 last year? Do you think it has to do with grade inflation? Or do you think it's just because there are fewer applicants applying and so only the "hard-cores" are applying, i.e., those with higher gpas.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Check this out, averages dont mean much without the application of the standard deviation, when used, it gives a much different picture

4. Sorry, didnt put the link in:
    <a href="http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/famg62001a.htm" target="_blank">http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/famg62001a.htm</a>

5. medicine2006

medicine2006 Happy Pisces 10+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Midwest
    Great link Mike! Thanks that was very informative.

Will the decrease in application trend continue?

6. Mr. H

Mr. H 7+ Year Member

Dec 11, 2001
    unless the economy turns around, expect the trend to cease and reverse, in fact, I expect a HUGE increase in applicants this year. with the great economy of the past years, its no wonder app #'s have gone down, many people pursue medicine for reasons such as financial security, and a good economy doesn't warrant it. But don't think its easier to get in because of the lower numbers, the big chunk that keeps applying are the ones who really want it, and they keep getting smarter, and smarter,....

7. Jameson

Jameson Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 26, 2001
    NW
    While I do agree with the last poster that the reverse trend will happen, I disagree that this years applicant pool is going to be "HUGE". The pre-med process takes time, i.e. all the req's that need to be met, volunteering and EC's, etc. The economy, while its been down over the last year or so, takes time to effect what paths people chose for their lives... I anticipate a few extra folks who were shafted last cycle to apply but nothing to drastic. Just my two pennies.

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2002
    I don't see any future trend of GPA averages lowering. There might be a plateau at some point, but it is reasonable to assume that applicants do get smarter in terms of sizing up the competition and knowing when they're ready to apply. In my opiion, the size of the applicant pol would matter little. There may be small fluctuations over the coming years, but nothing drastic.