Why I cant find other black guys premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ayubu Aloyce

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I started taking my premed classes in 2017 and until now I haven't met a single black guy in the same year as me who is premed. My classes are usually filled with a some white guys and a few white girls that likes to talk a lot about the materials that we are learning. I'm African born in Tanzania, but I identify myself both as Afro since I believe in pan Africanism.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't pretend I know the reason why, but there just aren't that many African American premed students.

So I started taking my premed classes in 2017 and until now I haven't met a single black guy in the same year as me who is premed. My classes are usually filled with a some white guys and a few white girls that likes to talk a lot about the materials that we are learning. I'm African born in Tanzania, but I identify myself both as Afro since I believe in pan Africanism.
There are barely any. A lot of different orgs are working on it, but there are too many reasons to list as to why.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's the unfortunate reality. This is a lonely journey but there are resources to grow your network of black physicians (SNMA, LinkedIn, etc)

Reactions: 1 user
Overall, med schools dont have much black people. But It depends a lot on the location.
Howard medical school for example is predominately black. Maybe go to the howard page and ask about any groups.

Reactions: 1 user
Statistically, black men attend college at a much lower rate than black women. n=1, but I see a lot more black men that are pre-physical therapy or other health professions than medicine. Maybe try and apply for URM summer programs like SHPEP; it'll put you in contact with other POC premed like yourself from other schools nearby.

Reactions: 3 users
Yea, it is a lonely road. It is a constant reminder that the career path you have chosen has a low proportion of minorities that gets even worse as you progress in your career.I went to Howard med school and I felt very comfortable with my surrounding but all of that changed in residency. There are many minority engagement initiatives that are working towards improving representation.

Once you get into med school. Check out nthdimmension.org as a resource for helping minority students match into competitive specialties

Reactions: 1 users
Depends a lot on where you go to school. I was surprised you said it was some white guys and a few white girls. More than 50% of medical school students are women. Where I went to school (in California), you would see predominantly Asian students in the premed classes. But you are correct, black people seem to be underrepresented.

I didn’t know of any other black premeds. There was one other black dude in my smaller DO school, and I’m the only black male resident at my hospital, which has 6 residency programs. In general you will find more black people in bigger cities, bigger schools, bigger programs. That’s just the way it goes. I guess the good thing is youre a hot commodity when looking for jobs.