Why I chose NYU!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissionComplete

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that there are many NYU vs. X threads that ask for us to vote and then give feedback. As much as I believe in the democratic process and the representative value of voting, I think that by me telling you why I chose NYU might make it easier for others to make the decision if they have to. So, I chose NYU because:

1) Bellevue Hospital- arguably one of the best clnical experiences one can have in medical school

2) Research- Two SOM professors were just inducted to NAS and more will follow. Through the construction of the Smillow Research Center and the brand new Cancer Center (opens next week) NYU will become an even more amazing research center and I'm sure surge ahead in rankings.

3) Curriculum- NYU is one of the few places that actually fosters cohesiveness and discriminates against competition. They complete this task by removing all grades and encouraging students to master the material instead of mastering an exam.

4) Location- Being in Midtown Manhattan is a dream address for anyone, why not live for four years in one of the coolest places in the US. This area, Murray Hill, is young (everyone's in their 20's pretty much), cheap food, cheap gyms, and a short walk from anything.

5) NYU- NYU undergrad has been growing and expanding an is now an even stronger presence in NYC. This school has become redhot and why not be the hottest NYC attraction.

6) EC's- NYU has one of the highest student activity fees (a few thousand $'s,) but by having this fee we can do almost anything we would want from studying underwater sutures to a beach volleyball club to an East River water polo team. Opportunities are boundless.

7) It's home. I'm from this area and now I'll be close to all those who are important to me.

I hope to see you on August 23! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Numbers one through six are pretty much the reasons I hold for accepting NYU and declining my other offers.

It's a great and exciting place. A bit big and intimidating compared to some of the schools in warmer and cushier environments, but the neighborhood is nice and there is an unlimited number of opportunities to get involved with stuff at the school and in the community.

Great post!

All pretty good reasons, except #5. Since when is NYU undergrad "redhot"? It's just an undergrad school like any other. The area around the university is popular in NYC of course, but that has little to do with NYU. As for undergrad's in NYC, Columbia I think takes the "redhot" title. They're planning on building a new campus in Manhattenville (which isn't a great area), but they're going to be doing a lot of expansion with new scientific research buildings, more students, etc. Doesn't really matter though. You're attending medical school, not undergrad :)

Still a great place to be though :) Have fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
TRUE said:
All pretty good reasons, except #5. Since when is NYU undergrad "redhot"?

"The Princeton Review, the Ivies are losing their mythic grip on the nation's young scholars. When students and their parents were asked to name their 'dream college', Stanford and New York University came in first and second, followed by Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Duke and Columbia."
http://www.gawker.com/topic/rah-rah-nyu-001586.php

"Of the 3,030 college applicants and 303 parents that responded, NYU overwhelmingly topped the list, according to Princeton Review Director of Public Relations Harriet Brand, beating out number-two Harvard. Of the eight Ivy League schools, five made the top ten, with Brown University and University of Pennsylvania being the only other Ivies not deemed "dreamworthy." Yale was fourth, Columbia sixth, Princeton seventh and Cornell tenth."
http://www.thedartmouth.com/article.php?aid=2004033101030

"...according to a new poll by The Princeton Review, the Ivies are losing their mythic grip on the nation's young scholars. When students and their parents were asked to name their "dream college", Stanford and New York University came in first and second, followed by Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Duke and Columbia."
http://articles.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ICQ/is_2003_March_24/ai_99044634

"NYU's popularity among prospective college students is rising across the nation, according to a recent poll conducted by The Princeton Review."
http://www.nyu.edu/alumni/newsletter/0503/

:clap:

MissionComplete said:
"The Princeton Review, the Ivies are losing their mythic grip on the nation's young scholars. When students and their parents were asked to name their 'dream college', Stanford and New York University came in first and second, followed by Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Duke and Columbia."
http://www.gawker.com/topic/rah-rah-nyu-001586.php

"Of the 3,030 college applicants and 303 parents that responded, NYU overwhelmingly topped the list, according to Princeton Review Director of Public Relations Harriet Brand, beating out number-two Harvard. Of the eight Ivy League schools, five made the top ten, with Brown University and University of Pennsylvania being the only other Ivies not deemed "dreamworthy." Yale was fourth, Columbia sixth, Princeton seventh and Cornell tenth."
http://www.thedartmouth.com/article.php?aid=2004033101030

"...according to a new poll by The Princeton Review, the Ivies are losing their mythic grip on the nation's young scholars. When students and their parents were asked to name their "dream college", Stanford and New York University came in first and second, followed by Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Duke and Columbia."
http://articles.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ICQ/is_2003_March_24/ai_99044634

"NYU's popularity among prospective college students is rising across the nation, according to a recent poll conducted by The Princeton Review."
http://www.nyu.edu/alumni/newsletter/0503/

:clap:

Good articles and good information, but that doesn't make NYU any better of a school. Kids just recognize the name more. That doesn't improve professors or improve grants (especially for medical school), and only slightly improves the quality of students who attend the undergrad program.

Acceptence rates are much lower (and much more competitive) at Ivy league schools including Columbia than they are NYU. I'm also not quite sure you can compare the quality of professors at Columbia and NYU, either in undergrad or in the medical schools. Regardless, like I've said in my previous post, you're not going to the undergrad so it really shouldn't matter that a bunch of 17 year olds find NYU more appealing than they used to. You'll never see them really, and so what if you did?

For a lot of people the cachet of NYU undergrad is being in NYC. I really doubt that Ivy caliber students really "dream" of going to NYU. You have to remember those polls are of all possible college bound students. Certainly If a non-ivy caliber student had choose between say NYU, BU, and USC, three private relatively well known non ivy schools, I can easily see how NYU would win out. To extend that into saying that NYU undergrad is "stealing" ivy students is a long stretch. There maybe be an occasional one here and there, but it certainly isnt a general trend. Besides, they could just go to Columbia if they wanted to be in the city.

Anyways, NYU is a great medical school, so good luck there!

TRUE said:
As for undergrad's in NYC, Columbia I think takes the "redhot" title. !

Say, don't you go to Columbia? Nope, no biase in that statement. Nice job patting yourself on the back!

BigRedPingpong said:
Say, don't you go to Columbia? Nope, no biase in that statement. Nice job patting yourself on the back!

Yup, I did go to columbia (just graduated). I didn't pat myself on the back. I simply stated the rather obvoius: Columbia undergrad is a few steps above NYU undergrad.

TRUE said:
Yup, I did go to columbia (just graduated). I didn't pat myself on the back. I simply stated the rather obvoius: Columbia undergrad is a few steps above NYU undergrad.

Hmm, since Columbia is concidered the hottest in NYC I guess it also dominates other schools too like Cooper Union. Last time I checked the Union had a lower acceptance rate and higher SAT combined score than Columbia. But what do these numbers mean, right?

BigRedPingpong said:
Hmm, since Columbia is concidered the hottest in NYC I guess it also dominates other schools too like Cooper Union. Last time I checked the Union had a lower acceptance rate and higher SAT combined score than Columbia. But what do these numbers mean, right?

thats not fair! cooper union is a free college.

TRUE said:
"...you're not going to the undergrad so it really shouldn't matter that a bunch of 17 year olds find NYU more appealing than they used to. You'll never see them really, and so what if you did?

But two of those 17 year olds are the Olsen twins!!!

"Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, teenage billionaires, have been accepted to NYU and will be attending Gallatin in the fall as part of the Class of 2008!"
http://nyuview.citycynic.com/index.php?p=163

exmike said:
thats not fair! cooper union is a free college.

not to add to the debate, but Cooper & Columbia are very different schools.... Cooper is focused on certain areas (like art & engineering), Columbia is your all around liberal arts college (Columbia College) within a major research university.

b

Members don't see this ad :)
MissionComplete said:
But two of those 17 year olds are the Olsen twins!!!

"Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, teenage billionaires, have been accepted to NYU and will be attending Gallatin in the fall as part of the Class of 2008!"
http://nyuview.citycynic.com/index.php?p=163
Dude, they're so not attractive. Look at those underdeveloped twig bodies. And their faces remind of baby Michelle on Full House. Ick.

TheFlash said:
Dude, they're so not attractive. Look at those underdeveloped twig bodies. And their faces remind of baby Michelle on Full House. Ick.

Funny because most would say they're hot!

Fuuny how MSSM acceptancees (NYU non-acceptancees) come on this thread to highjack it.

MissionComplete said:
2) Research- Two SOM professors were just inducted to NAS and more will follow. Through the construction of the Smillow Research Center and the brand new Cancer Center (opens next week) NYU will become an even more amazing research center and I'm sure surge ahead in rankings.

the new cancer center may indeed be opening next week (i thought it was later than that, like december later), but the director of it has personally told me that new recruiting isn't taking place for awhile to come (at least december later).

3) Curriculum- NYU is one of the few places that actually fosters cohesiveness and discriminates against competition. They complete this task by removing all grades and encouraging students to master the material instead of mastering an exam.

except for md/phd students. why is that anyway?

5) NYU- NYU undergrad has been growing and expanding an is now an even stronger presence in NYC. This school has become redhot and why not be the hottest NYC attraction.

i'm not sure the princeton review is the end all authority of ugrad just as USNWR isnt the end all authority on med schools. anyway, NYU's great strength is probably the other graduate programs (#1 public health, #5 law, #14ish biz and education, etc). if you're talking about hottest schools, what happened to **the** juliard?

BigRedPingpong said:
Fuuny how MSSM acceptancees (NYU non-acceptancees) come on this thread to highjack it.

As I said in my original post, I congratulated the OP on going to NYU and I said his reasons were great except for the part about NYU undergrad being "hot". Who the heck cares about the ugrad school once you're in the med. school?

Anyway, MSSM acceptence does not mean NYU non-acceptence. For your information, I didn't even apply. There are also people on here who chose MSSM over NYU and visa versa. Who cares? I love how adding my two cents to this thread constitutes a "hijacking". People on this board need to chill.

TRUE said:
Who the heck cares about the ugrad school once you're in the med. school?

pedophilically poaching olsen twins is a key sanity-saving hobby to consider

I think some would consider the olsen twins a reason not to attend nyu undergrad. They're kinda obnoxious.

BigRedPingpong said:

:laugh: LOL :laugh:

good luck to waitlisters, i just came off the list last week but im going to send out my withdrawl. sucks to make this decision

tonyjerry said:
good luck to waitlisters, i just came off the list last week but im going to send out my withdrawl. sucks to make this decision

Where you going and why?

ill be going to pitt. i was just so impressed with their facilities and growth over the past few years and i think i might be a better fit personally staying in the midwest.

BigRedPingpong said:
I also came off the NYU waitlist last week, so to burst your bubble I was an MSSM and NYU acceptee. I turned it down within five minutes of getting the email. It seems that NYU is having a lot of people letting go of their acceptances. MSSM, however, has yet to dip into its waitlist. :smuggrin:

Well, I think that a lot of things mentioned on this thread are good examples of why not to go to NYU. First, having spoken to over 15 residency directors across the country, everyone agreed that NYU was an average school that people not in the field seem to look highly upon because of name. That being said, people in the field don't care if you go to NYU or any state school.

When I tell people I turned down NYU they seem shocked. Then I explain that NYU med is not NYU law or even NYU business for that matter, and it is just an average school that takes students that do well on the MCAT. NYU does have a great location, but to me, there are things that are much more important that geography.

Its funny that everyone here is quoting surveys about undergrad. NYU med and NYU fill-in-the-blank school have nothing in common other than name! Get over it!

Johnnie, I think you can turn down the self-righteous act a bit. The "everyone here" quoting surveys about undergrad is (count 'em) one person.

JohnnieBlue said:
NYU med and NYU fill-in-the-blank school have nothing in common other than name!

well, that common name is important if you intend to do md/something else or want to take classes in something besides simply medicine.

JohnnieBlue said:
everyone agreed that NYU was an average school that people not in the field seem to look highly upon because of name. That being said, people in the field don't care if you go to NYU or any state school.

I disagree. Although I'm sure RWJ or Downstate had good matches, I think people in the "field" do care because going to NYU can get you residencies at places like these:

As per another thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=110559&page=2

"NYU had an absolutely sick match this year. Hear are some of the highlights...

Integrated platics
NYU
UCSF

Ortho
Maimonides (2)
UCLA
Jackson Memorial
NYU-HJD (3)
Clevland clinic (2)
NYMC

Radiology
Brigham and womens
Hartford
LIJ
NYU (3)
Westchester
Eistein
Rhode Island
UTexas
Upenn
Stony Brook (2)
Einstein
Beth Israel
Jefferson

Optho
LIJ
NYU (2)
Iowa
Wayne State (2)
BU

Neurosurgery
NYU (2)
UFlorida

Derm
Dartmouth
NYU

ENT
Temple
NYU (3)
Harvard
SUNY - Brooklyn

Urology
Baylor
UCLA
Mt. Sinai

EM
UCLA
Cook County

Anesthesia
MGH (2)
Brighman and womens

Also, plenty of general surgery at places like MGH... IM everywhere (too many to post). As per the dean, one of the best matches for NYU in recent years."

As said by a physician from Cornell-Weill, "All accredited medical schools will allow you to become a physician and the difference between number one and number 126 is not huge because all of them need to provide the same education to pass the same boards which have very specific requirements. There will be a difference between the location of the school, the facilities, curriculum (PBL...) but in the end all of these schools will prepare to become a great physician." I can't believe that people here are bashing other people's choice of school. What is the big deal! Everyone is different with different interests, personalities, preferences, likes and dislikes which includes a school's location, academic environment and so forth. Getting into med school alone can be very challenging and there are so many pre-med students that would have loved to atleast have a choice. therefore why can't we just be happy for other people's choices and our own choices and stop making other people's choices seem bad to make your own feel better. By the way before nasty allegations are made I was accepted into NYU and waitlisted at MSSM and sincerely, both schools felt exactly the same.

TheFlash said:
I also came off the NYU waitlist last week, so to burst your bubble I was an MSSM and NYU acceptee. I turned it down within five minutes of getting the email. It seems that NYU is having a lot of people letting go of their acceptances. MSSM, however, has yet to dip into its waitlist. :smuggrin:
FU28.jpg

FU26.jpg

MissionComplete said:
I disagree. Although I'm sure RWJ or Downstate had good matches, I think people in the "field" do care because going to NYU can get you residencies at places like these:

As said before, it's erroneous enough to base a school on it's matchlist, but on only a partial matchlist is even worse. The full 2004 PGY1 match for NYU:

*Internal Medicine Brigham & Womens Hosp-Ma Boston MA
Internal Medicine Nyp Hosp-Ny Cornell-Ny New York NY
Internal Medicine Mt Sinai Hospital-Ny New York NY
Medicine-Preliminary George Washington Univ-Dc Washington DC
Medicine - Preliminary Nyu School Of Medicine New York NY
General Surgery Massachusetts Gen Hosp Boston MA
Pediatrics St Louis Childrens-Mo St Louis MO
Internal Medicine Brigham & Womens Hosp-Ma Boston MA
Orthopaedic Surgery Maimonides Med Ctr-Ny Brooklyn NY
Internal Medicine Hosp Of The Univ Of Pa Philadelphia PA
Internal Medicine B I Deaconess Med Ctr-Ma Boston MA
Medicine-Primary Nyu School Of Medicine New York NY
*Internal Medicine Brigham & Womens Hosp-Ma Boston MA
Plastic Surgery Nyu School Of Medicine New York NY
Transitional Year Santa Clara Valley Mc-Ca San Jose CA
Internal Medicine Uc San Diego Med Ctr-Ca San Diego CA
Internal Medicine Nyu School Of Medicine New York NY
Medicine-Preliminary Baylor Coll Mep-Houston-Tx Houston TX
General Pediatrics North Shore-Lij Health Sys-Ny Great Neck NY
Medicine-Preliminary Lenox Hill Hospital-Ny New York NY
*Medicine-Preliminary N Shore U-Manhasset-Ny Manhasset NY
Internal Medicine U Southern California Los Angeles CA
Internal Medicine Harbor-Ucla Med Ctr-Ca Torrance CA
Shan Internal Medicine Nyu School Of Medicine New York NY
Internal Medicine Jackson Memorial Hosp-Fl Miami FL
Surgery-Preliminary Temple Univ Hosp-Pa Philadelphia PA
Ty Medicine-Preliminary Winthrop-Univ Hosp-Ny Mineola NY
Medicine-Primary Johns Hopkins Bayview-Md Baltimore MD
*Medicine-Preliminary Griffin Hospital-Ct Derby CT
Internal Medicine Nyp Hosp-Colum Presby-Ny New York NY
Pediatrics Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-Ny Bronx NY
Internal Medicine Flushing Hospital Med Ctr-Ny Flushing NY
Surgery-Preliminary Nyu School Of Medicine New York NY
Medicine-Preliminary Mt Sinai Som/Cabrini-Ny New York NY
Orthopaedic Surgery Ucla Medical Center-Ca Los Angeles CA
Pediatrics Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-Ny Bronx NY
Internal Medicine Brigham & Womens Hosp-Ma Boston MA
General Surgery St Vincents Hosp-Ny New York NY
Obstetrics-Gynecology Long Island Jewish Med Ctr-Ny New Hyde Park NY
Internal Medicine Indiana Univ Sch Of Med Indianapolis IN
General Surgery U Tx Sw Med Sch-Dallas Dallas TX
Medicine-Primary Nyu School Of Medicine New York NY
Obstetrics-Gynecology Univ Maryland Med Ctr Baltimore MD
Internal Medicine Beth Israel Med Ctr-Ny New York NY
Orthopaedic Surgery Maimonides Med Ctr-Ny Brooklyn NY
Internal Medicine Long Island Jewish Med Ctr-Ny New Hyde Park NY
General Surgery Mt Sinai Hospital-Ny New York NY
*Medicine-Preliminary Flushing Hospital Med Ctr-Ny Flushing NY
Pediatrics Nyu School Of Medicine New York NY
*Psychiatry Mt Sinai Hospital-Ny New York NY
Orthopaedic Surgery Jackson Memorial Hosp-Fl Miami FL
Transitional Year Crozer-Chester Med-Pa Upland PA
Orthopaedic Surgery Nyu Med Ctr/Hosp Joint Diseases New York NY
Plastic Surgery Uc San Francisco-Ca San Francisco CA
Medicine-Preliminary Westchester Med Ctr-Ny Valhalla NY
Transitional Year Atlantic Health Sys-Nj Summit NJ
Medicine-Preliminary Ny Hosp/Med Ctr Queens Flushing NY
Psychiatry Nyu School Of Medicine New York NY
Transitional Year Oakwood Hospital-Mi Dearborn MI
General Surgery Umdnj-New Jersey Med-Newark Newark NJ
General Surgery Nyp Hosp-Colum Presby-Ny New York NY
*Internal Medicine Uc San Francisco-Ca San Francisco CA
Transitional Year Ncc-Walter Reed Mc Washington DC
Medicine-Preliminary Long Island Jewish Med Ctr-Ny New Hyde Park NY
Medicine-Preliminary Mt Auburn Hospital-Ma Cambridge MA
Internal Medicine Stanford Univ Progs-Ca Stanford CA
General Surgery Georgetown Ijniv Hosp-Dc Washington DC
Internal Medicine Yale-New Haven Hosp-Ct New Haven CT
Medicine-Preliminary Greenwich Hospital-Ct Greenwich CT
Medicine-Primary-Prelim Yale-New Haven Hosp-Ct New Haven CT
Transitional Year U Texas Med Sch-Houston Houston TX
Emergency Medicine Nyu School Of Medicine New York NY
Psychiatry/St Raphael Yale-New Haven Hosp-Ct New Haven CT
Obstetrics-Gynecology Stony Brook Teach Hosps-Ny Stony Brook NY
Surgery-Preliminary U Florida - Gainesville Gainesville FL
General Surgery Nyu School Of Medicine New York NY
Pediatrics-Primary Mt Sinai Hospital-Ny New York NY
Obstetrics-Gynecology Womens & Infants Hosp-Ri Providence RI
Surgery-Preliminary Uc San Francisco-Ca San Francisco CA
Orthopaedic Surgery Cleveland Clinic Fdn-Oh Cleveland OH
Medicine-Primary Nyp Hosp-Ny Cornell-Ny New York NY
Peds-Primary/Bmc Childrens Hosp Boston-Ma Boston MA
Obstetrics-Gynecology U Colorado Som-Denver Denver CO
General Surgery Uc San Francisco-East Bay-Ca Oakland CA
Medicine-Preliminary Greenwich Hospital-Ct Greenwich CT
Internal Medicine B I Deaconess Med Ctr-Ma Boston MA
Internal Medicine Uc San Francisco-Ca San Francisco CA
*Medicine - Preliminary Nyu School Of Medicine New York NY
Obstetrics-Gynecology Nyu School Of Medicine New York NY
Internal Medicine Univ Of Chicago Hosp-Il Chicago IL
Pediatrics Nyp Hosp-Ny Cornell-Ny New York NY
Psychiatry Nyp Hosp-Colum Presby-Ny New York NY
Medicine-Preliminary Hosp Of The Univ Of Pa Philadelphia PA
*Transitional Year U Penn Health Sys/Presby Philadelphia PA
Obstetrics-Gynecology Hosp Of The Univ Of Pa Philadelphia PA
Medicine-Primary Nyp Hosp-Ny Cornell-Ny New York NY
*General Surgery U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor Ann Arbor Ml
General Surgery Maimonides Med Ctr-Ny Brooklyn NY
Surgery-Preliminary Baylor Coll Med-Houston-Tx Houston TX
Pediatrics Nyu School Of Medicine New York NY
Transitional Year Oakwood Hospital-Mi Dearborn MI
Surgery-Preliminary Ucla Medical Center-Ca Los Angeles CA
General Surgery Nyu School Of Medicine New York NY
*Surgery-Preliminary Brigham & Womens Hosp-Ma Boston MA
Surgery-Preliminary Suny Hsc Brooklyn-Ny Brooklyn NY
Orthopaedic Surgery Cleveland Clinic Fdn-Oh Cleveland OH
General Surgery B I Deaconess Med Ctr-Ma Boston MA
Surgery-Preliminary Mt Sinai Hospital-Ny New York NY
Transitional Year Ny Hosp/Med Ctr Queens Flushing NY
Obstetrics-Gynecology Hosp Of The Univ Of Pa Philadelphia PA
Internal Medicine University Of Virginia Charlottesville VA
Medicine-Preliminary Jackson Memorial Hosp-Fl Miami FL
Internal Medicine Boston U Med Ctr-Ma Boston MA
Peds-Primary/Bmc Childrens Hosp Boston-Ma Boston MA
Medicine-Preliminary Nyp Hosp-Ny Cornell-Ny New York NY
Internal Medicine B L Deaconess Med Ctr-Ma Boston MA
Internal Medicine Cedars-Sinai Med Ctr-Ca Los Angeles CA
Medicine-Preliminary Winthrop-Univ Hosp-Ny Mineola NY
Internal Medicine Harbor-Ucla Med Ctr-Ca Torrance CA
Medicine-Preliminary Long Island Jewish Med Ctr-Ny New Hyde Park NY
Orthopaedic Surgery Ny Med Col Brklyn/Queens Svcmc Jamaica NY
Pediatrics Nyp Hosp-Colum Presby-Ny New York NY

PGY2s not listed. * = MD/PhD graduate

I don't understand all the hostility between NYU and MSSM. I go to MSSM, and am having a great time, but I don't think NYU is a bad place. The fact is, it's not really where you go but how well you do that decides what kind of physician you become. Pissing at each other is really counterproductive and altogether dumb.

And those rankings, while med school admissions committees do take them seriously (why, I'm not sure), put Sinai and NYU in the same boat.

So stop yer bitchin'.

doesn't NYU own BOTH nyu med and Mt. Sinai?

NYU and Sinai's merger is no more. I believe they extended a bunch of debt, but otherwise, they're no longer partners. Too bad. We could use the bargaining power vs. the HMOs and in purchasing.a

NYU/Mount Sinai is no longer merged. They demerged in July 2004 because it wasnt working out. Long story short, people have told me NYU took Mount Sinai because they MS was in big debt. NYU merged in an attempt to bump New York Hospital/Cornell a little in regards to competition. But in the end, Mount Sinai sucked up NYU's profits...so NYU let them go because they couldnt take it. I think NYU seperated from NYU Downtown Hospital as an affiliate recently... however, I am not totally sure of that. The bargaining power against HMOs was suppose to be one of those big things for them both along with higher efficiency in sharing resources, etc...in the end, it just didnt work out. A lot more complicated than i can explain.

Regards to NYU and MSSM being better than one another...thats so hard to compare...I would be happy to go to either...they both got their own reputations even though MSSM have their transplant snaffu incidents in the past. Where you go to school will only count to a certain degree...the rest is up to you...board scores, letters of recs, etc.

This whole thread reminds me of how people battled with each in high school of how this school is better another. :laugh: :thumbup: