1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Why is an application cycle open when the school is closed for interviews?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Act0fgod, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Act0fgod

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Everyone will agree that applying early is important so I was wondering why schools set their application deadlines the way they do. For example some schools have application deadlines as late as February while others have an application deadline in October or before.

Do the schools receive money from AADSAS for every application that is submitted and is that really an important source of revenue for the school?

I almost think it is unethical for schools to keep their application cycle open when they have stopped offering interviews and therefore know individuals who submit will not be admitted.

When I received an e-mail from Kentucky indicating that my application was received but they "need to advise you[me] that all of the interview dates are filled and regrettably we[UK] will no longer be scheduling interviews" I thought of a lawsuit being filed by a Washington and Lee University professor who is suing a number of state lotteries because they continue to sell scratch off lottery tickets after the grand prize has been won. At least the state lotteries have websites where you can see what prizes have been won for what games and the scratch off tickets still have the smaller consolation prizes available.

Anyone have insight on why this is done? I have to assume it's a practice at more schools than just UK. Is it revenue, is it the unreal fear that they won’t have enough qualified applicants by an earlier deadline, are they really thinking someone with a 30/30/30 and 4.0 is going to apply on their application deadline, is it something like that’s the date they've always used or is there some other reason? Thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Why not call the schools and ask them about their MO for the application cycle?

4. Danny289

Danny289 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    IMO, these deadlines assigened years ago that weren't this huge number of applicants.for example in 2001 just 6000 applicants increase to 11000 in 2006! and maybe more in 2007 and 2008.
    (http://www.dentalstudentbooks.com/dental_school_statistics.html)
    in addition I like your resoning for 30/30/30 and 4.00! :)