why is BU dental school unique?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mahi4u

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everybody, would like to the good things about BU dental school?
anything which makes it unique than other dental schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Its cheaper than others,
Its international program is shorter than others.
Its in Boston!

I would like to hear from current / passed out students of BU's international program. Some insight into the program would help all.

Boston University has one of the best international programs among all other dental schools in the US.
I am not saying it is the best school in the world, but I am saying that their school and faculty are very familiar with the international dentists.
It is not cheaper. on the contrary might be the most expensive 2-year program.
They city is awesome. the only problem is the ugly weather.
If you love sports, then this is you city.
if you love night life, it is an awesome night life too.
Many other stuff, I can discuss.

Members don't see this ad :)
Boston University has one of the best international programs among all other dental schools in the US.
I am not saying it is the best school in the world, but I am saying that their school and faculty are very familiar with the international dentists.
It is not cheaper. on the contrary might be the most expensive 2-year program.
They city is awesome. the only problem is the ugly weather.
If you love sports, then this is you city.
if you love night life, it is an awesome night life too.
Many other stuff, I can discuss.

that place is taken by UOP :)) :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

If you're uninsured call the dental office and ask for a discount. Also, ask if you can pay over time. Let them examine you and see if they can get the pain taken care of first and solve the bigger problem later if the cost is too much.

well..if you ask me..i am kind a antiBU...agree that it is cheaper & time consuming dental school..but i dont think patient wise or learning wise it is good school...now even i have heard that BU management is thinking to extend the program upto 3 years just to enhance the skill & experience of students..

let me correct you bombaybds, most expensive school is University of buffalo.... chk this out
http://dental.buffalo.edu/Portals/0/Student/IDPEstimatedExpenses.pdf

thanks for correcting me.

yes, u r right. Buffalo is more expensive than UOP.
i didnt know they had an IDP at buffalo.

UOP = $258346
Buffalo = $267584

However, these figures are inclusive of living expense estimates.
I think it would be easier to live on a lower budget in buffallo (although they have set aside 23k/ yr for living) than in san fran (~25 k /yr).
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0883960.html - cost of living is much more in SFO.

thats my opinion.

P.S : I do hope that u realize that the satement was a Joke. I was just poking fun at beloved UOP. No offence intended.

Last edited:
how is the clinical strength of BU. I just heard 4 students share 1 dental chair.

i second that, very happy to be a part of this prestigious university . loving uop.

If you're uninsured call the dental office and ask for a discount. Also, ask if you can pay over time. Let them examine you and see if they can get the pain taken care of first and solve the bigger problem later if the cost is too much.

thanks for correcting me.

yes, u r right. Buffalo is more expensive than UOP.
i didnt know they had an IDP at buffalo.

UOP = $258346
Buffalo = $267584

However, these figures are inclusive of living expense estimates.
I think it would be easier to live on a lower budget in buffallo (although they have set aside 23k/ yr for living) than in san fran (~25 k /yr).
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0883960.html - cost of living is much more in SFO.

thats my opinion.

P.S : I do hope that u realize that the satement was a Joke. I was just poking fun at beloved UOP. No offence intended.

it is best information
i like this post...................

did anyone get a confirmation link email from BU as yet?

And these, ladies and gentlemen, is all we can offer when discussing strengths of BU. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

i second that, very happy to be a part of this prestigious university . loving uop.

Hey sis!

It's good:).

You are convinced about your university. But have you checked what is the average grade point of the school. Is this also renowned for providing job opportunities through campus. What if you intend to go for higher studies in the same university, will you get the desired course there. I think these are also somethings which you need to check.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
well..if you ask me..i am kind a antiBU...agree that it is cheaper & time consuming dental school..but i dont think patient wise or learning wise it is good school...now even i have heard that BU management is thinking to extend the program upto 3 years just to enhance the skill & experience of students..

BU is not cheap. Tuition and living expenses are some of the highest in the country. Plus, you need to budget an extra $10,000 so you can unethically pay your patients out of your own pocket just so you can treat them, or you won't graduate on time since the school has so few patients.
BU is a terrible school to get a dental education. I think they are doing much more harm than good for the reputation and integrity of the dental profession. The rediculously low clinical quotas speaks for itself. Then you have to consider the culture of the school.
Sure international dentists love BU because they pump out tons of degrees so that they can practice in this country (nearly 40% of the total DMD's the school awards each year goes to Indians). I must warn prospective international students that previous classes have given you guys such a bad reputation, that many of our patients refuse to let a BU Advanced Standing student treat them.

how is the clinical strength of BU. I just heard 4 students share 1 dental chair.

The phrase "clinical strength" should never be used to describe BU. When you only need 6 units of fixed prosth, 2 extractions, and zero root canals on a real person to graduate...do I need to say any more?
Also, I wouldn't use the word "share" do describe BU students either. There are 100 chairs that 300 students "fight" over. Each chair is assigned to a single department, so for example, there are about 20 chairs for perio that 300 students are fighting for. Add the fact that students are always screwing each other over by hoarding chairs for appointments when they have no patient (aka "ghosting appointments"). So, the schedule has been booked full for weeks but you finally were able to get an appointment, only to show up to rounds and hear half the other students claim their patient "cancelled". All those empty chairs, even though the schedule says its 100% booked, is very frustrating to other students and patients.

I guess these are some of the things that make "BU dental school unique," although not in a good way.

Last edited:
oh!!! Thats like reading about some Indian private dental college...lol.... may be what you have said is right..coz i dont know anything.... i just wanna qoute one incidence... when i went to creighton dental school, omaha for one day.. i had a talk with dean...he asked me , that what all schools offer FTD programs... i just didnt have many schools in mind.. only 2 schools came into my mind..and i said NYU and BU .... and he very casually said " among them , obviously you ll choose BU " .. i still dont know why he said that... i didnt even reason ... am just adding a point in this discussion..
BU is not cheap. Tuition and living expenses are some of the highest in the country. Plus, you need to budget an extra $10,000 so you can unethically pay your patients out of your own pocket just so you can treat them, or you won't graduate on time since the school has so few patients.
BU is a terrible school to get a dental education. I think they are doing much more harm than good for the reputation and integrity of the dental profession. The rediculously low clinical quotas speaks for itself. Then you have to consider the culture of the school.
Sure international dentists love BU because they pump out tons of degrees so that they can practice in this country (nearly 40% of the total DMD's the school awards each year goes to Indians). I must warn prospective international students that previous classes have given you guys such a bad reputation, that many of our patients refuse to let a BU Advanced Standing student treat them.

The phrase "clinical strength" should never be used to describe BU. When you only need 6 units of fixed prosth, 2 extractions, and zero root canals on a real person to graduate...do I need to say any more?
Also, I wouldn't use the word "share" do describe BU students either. There are 100 chairs that 300 students "fight" over. Each chair is assigned to a single department, so for example, there are about 20 chairs for perio that 300 students are fighting for. Add the fact that students are always screwing each other over by hoarding chairs for appointments when they have no patient (aka "ghosting appointments"). So, the schedule has been booked full for weeks but you finally were able to get an appointment, only to show up to rounds and hear half the other students claim their patient "cancelled". All those empty chairs, even though the schedule says its 100% booked, is very frustrating to other students and patients.

I guess these are some of the things that make "BU dental school unique," although not in a good way.

OH man this is bad ...
we use to treat so many patients in our undergrad in my home country ....for example Quota for extraction was 60 patients minimum ... and so many class 2 n class 1 patients ....n in internship n number of root canals n post n core n aesthetic treatments to patients including PFM crowns composites n all ...then what they want us to learn in their universities ....just their technologies ...n they wanna take hell lot of money from us is it ! ....or the reason is we are helpless that we can not practice in this country so we have to do these things ?

He didnt know about anything like that... he didnt even know which universities offer admissions to us.... coz in omaha type cities , we are aliens .... no one even knows that we could get admissions... i was the explaining them , how this kinda program works... but still he said boston ... may be had something in mind... again , i am just saying...
He said it because everyone wants to go to a 2 year program no matter how the program is.

oh!!! Thats like reading about some Indian private dental college...lol.... may be what you have said is right..coz i dont know anything.... i just wanna qoute one incidence... when i went to creighton dental school, omaha for one day.. i had a talk with dean...he asked me , that what all schools offer FTD programs... i just didnt have many schools in mind.. only 2 schools came into my mind..and i said NYU and BU .... and he very casually said " among them , obviously you ll choose BU " .. i still dont know why he said that... i didnt even reason ... am just adding a point in this discussion..

reading this thread i lost all the impressions that i had about dental education in America:oops:.

(nearly 40% of the total DMD's the school awards each year goes to Indians). I must warn prospective international students that previous classes have given you guys such a bad reputation, that many of our patients refuse to let a BU Advanced Standing student treat them.:confused:

there are competent people coming from every school no matter what their reputation is !!!!!!!!

Last edited:
BU Dental is a scam. I would not recommend a single person go there. Student learning is the last priority.

I wanted to know if the reputation of BU school of dentistry has improved in the last 10 years or so since this post.