Why is DBN considered a strong base?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Czarcasm

Hakuna matata, no worries.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While reviewing E2/E1 stuff, I came across something... I'm a little confused as to why DBN is considered a strong base. Usually when I rank the stability of the base qualitatively, I look to see if there's any stabilizing factors. In the case of DBN (below), I would think that because the lone pair exhibits resonance stabilization that it would be a weak base. But instead, this book I'm using for reference says otherwise. Apparently they're looking at the stability of what happens AFTER it abstracts a proton and the stability that results from the conjugate acid. I dunno, but doesn't that seem a little contradicting? I understand why it's conjugate acid is weak, but to even be protonated, you'd have to be a reasonable basic compound.

upload_2013-12-24_0-41-50.png

I mean don't most people rank base stability by looking at the conjugate base rather than the acid? I'm so confused now.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh wait -- they didn't specify it as a strong base. They just said it's basic and non-nucleophilic (good for Elimination). That makes more sense, lol. Sorry, ignore me!