Why is interventional cardiology, in particular, considered saturated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LebronManning

MS-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As far as I’m aware there are less than 400 or less (not sure, please correct if wrong) total IC spots in the country and thus only that many graduates per year. That’s about as many graduates in surgical subspecialties and I would argue that cardiovascular disease requiring intervention is just as common volume wise than stuff like spine surgery, etc.

With continued proliferation of IC docs battling PVD, there should be even more volume.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Didn’t realize it was considered saturated. I’m not an IC but from casual job site searching it seems like there’s no shortage of general and interventional cards jobs.

Last edited:
Didn’t realize it was considered saturated. I’m not an IC but form casual job site searching it seems like there’s no shortage of general and interventional cards jobs.

That’s what I would think too. Just read a couple threads on here and in other sub forums making it seem like there’s a cards doomsday or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I’m aware there are less than 400 or less (not sure, please correct if wrong) total IC spots in the country and thus only that many graduates per year. That’s about as many graduates in surgical subspecialties and I would argue that cardiovascular disease requiring intervention is just as common volume wise than stuff like spine surgery, etc.

With continued proliferation of IC docs battling PVD, there should be even more volume.

It’s not that saturated. Academic jobs are tough to find, as are structural. Might have more trouble in a large metro city. But jobs are there

Having just gone through the job hunt and finding a very good one in a great location with a great salary, the market is not saturated unless you want to be in a large city like NY. However it is still very possible.