Policy Why is it so hard to lower drug prices?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Evidently, it is harder ONLY for us, not for the rest of the world. I have a PPO insurance plan. Every year, I get pollen asthma and I use Flovent to treat it. I need it only for one month. I used to pay $10-$20. But this year the pharmacy billed me $365. I called the insurance company and they said they won’t cover it anymore even though I had the same insurance for years. No explanation given no matter how many times I asked. Then I got the same medication from Canada for $35. One of the wonders of free market capitalism. Imagine the plight of the unfortunate individuals who would need it for every month.

Evidently, it is harder ONLY for us, not for the rest of the world. I have a PPO insurance plan. Every year, I get pollen asthma and I use Flovent to treat it. I need it only for one month. I used to pay $10-$20. But this year the pharmacy billed me $365. I called the insurance company and they said they won’t cover it anymore even though I had the same insurance for years. No explanation given no matter how many times I asked. Then I got the same medication from Canada for $35. One of the wonders of free market capitalism. Imagine the plight of the unfortunate individuals who would need it for every month.
Inhalers are expensive because of the EPA weirdly enough

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Inhalers are expensive because of the EPA weirdly enough
It is the same medicine manufactured by the same drug company, probably exported from here. So, unless the government slaps a tax of $330 on one inhaler, I don’t see any reason why Americans have to pay $365 for it.

It is the same medicine manufactured by the same drug company, probably exported from here. So, unless the government slaps a tax of $330 on one inhaler, I don’t see any reason why Americans have to pay $365 for it.
because if they didn't it would change the economics of creating new drugs and we would see less of them. And it's only so expensive to get them to market because of govt

Reactions: 1 user
Yes but in the late 90s/early 2000s the EPA made all inhalers stop using CFCs (ozone and whatnot). The drug companies came up with a new propellant which they then patented. Prior to that, albuterol could be found for $15. Since then, you can't find it under about $70.

Oh, and there are generic options out there:

The latter could replace your flovent very easily.

Yes but in the late 90s/early 2000s the EPA made all inhalers stop using CFCs (ozone and whatnot). The drug companies came up with a new propellant which they then patented. Prior to that, albuterol could be found for $15. Since then, you can't find it under about $70.

Oh, and there are generic options out there:

The latter could replace your flovent very easily.

Thanks a lot for the generic recommendations. I will try them out next time. For some reason, my PCP said there are no generic version.

The reason it's hard for businessmen to introduce less expensive drugs to the market is that the FDA imposes barriers to entry that take 10-15 years and hundreds of millions of dollars to overcome, and even then only if bureaucrats agree that their property ("patients") should receive the new drugs.