Why is it so important to apply early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ricin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been reading these forums for the past 2 months and they have greatly helped!, thanks all!.. just had a question,
My GPA for my first three years has been terrible due mostly to my own immaturity, but as I enter my 5th year my fourth year GPA was a 3.9 and when all pre-req upgrades are said and done I expect my pre-requisite average to be around a 3.8 (with the lowest grade a B+).
If I complete my 5th year I expect my GPA to be around a 3.0. I'll be writing my OAT in August.
Ideally I would like to wait to apply into optometry schools til January 08' (or even May 08') so I can wait for my fall 07' (or even winter 08') grades and use them while applying, but a LOT of people have told me to apply as soon as admissions opens up - with that ofcourse I risk applying with a low GPA and being rejected outright,
So I ask, what should i do?, how important is applying early and risking applying with a low GPA versus applying later and applying with a much higher GPA?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Applying early gets you into consideration earlier. (i'm assuming earlier in your post you meant 2.8 and 2.9) If you can show upward progression in your grades, along with a good OAT score there are more open seats if you apply early. If you wait for your OAT scores in December and throw your app in later in the process, half the class maybe already be full. Then, you're competing for less open spots with lower grades than some of the other applicants. You have better chances when you apply early and there are more seats open. Almost all the schools do rolling admissions. The only one I can think of that doesn't is UCBSO. (if anyone knows another one please let me know)

Definitely have a very strong personal statement and highlight your commitment to improving your grades once you realized optometry was what you wanted to do.

Hope this helps !

Applying early gets you into consideration earlier. (i'm assuming earlier in your post you meant 2.8 and 2.9) If you can show upward progression in your grades, along with a good OAT score there are more open seats if you apply early. If you wait for your OAT scores in December and throw your app in later in the process, half the class maybe already be full. Then, you're competing for less open spots with lower grades than some of the other applicants. You have better chances when you apply early and there are more seats open. Almost all the schools do rolling admissions. The only one I can think of that doesn't is UCBSO. (if anyone knows another one please let me know)

Definitely have a very strong personal statement and highlight your commitment to improving your grades once you realized optometry was what you wanted to do.

Hope this helps !

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
+, your file gets put into a big pile when applications start flooding into the schools so the sooner you get your application in, the sooner it gets looked at. If you send it in November, they may not even see it until January.

Hope this helps !

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated cpw!

From what I was told NECO (my first preference) looks at 3 GPAs, overall, science and pre-req. I did mean that I had a 3.9 in my last year (my fourth year which I just finished) and that when all is said and done in terms of upgrading my pre-reqs a 3.8 pre-req GPA. My overall average GPA as I mentioned would however be a 3.0 if I complete my fifth year (whch I am now entering in sept),

But anywho, I shall apply early as you said and emphasize the improving my grades aspect!