Why is it that Opsteopathic schools favor math majors so highly?

Started by MEG@COOL
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MEG@COOL

M0DE 01
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just looking over some statistics published by AACOM, and it appears that roughly 53% of those that matriculated into osteopathic schools last year were MATH majors!? Does this strike anyone else as odd? Maybe my math teacher should havegone to medical school instead!
 
actually, I thought math majors were looked down upon by osteopathic schools. I was a math major in college and at several of my interviews I was asked why in the world I was a math major and was told that math majors weren't typical in osteopathic schools. One woman made me feel so horrible for being a math major.
 
I think that alot of osteopahtic medical schools keep their eyes open to non-traditional. Sorry about your bad experience...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
go math club, I was a dual major in mathematics and chemical engineering myself. But here is what I honestly think, and of course, you can all disagree with me if you like.

DO schools like diversity in their student body. So they pick up people from all sorts of backgrounds, not just math.

Math is pretty tough too, I think that it is one major that you show that you are a "good thinker" So maybe that has something to do with it too. But hey, who really knows, right. We are all med students now and are all on the same playing field.
 
that's too high for one major. Maybe it was a typo or an error in data entry.
 
Pooh Chong said:
that's too high for one major. Maybe it was a typo or an error in data entry.

I agree. That is certainly not representative of my class at osucom.
 
I figured the major of choice would be "biology". Seems like everyone and their brother is a bio major (including myself :/)
 
I was a math major and I'm at AZCOM, and I don't think there are any others in my class. I bet it was supposed to be 5.3%