Why is it that we....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarveyCushing

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
.... refer to our medical schools as appreviations like NYCOM, CCOM, DCOM, KCUMB, when the allopathic world doesn't even do this? Not only do we worry about the DO title, but we love using a bunch of letters to refer to our schools. I guess it is easier when talking about the school rather than giving the full name.

Members don't see this ad.

.... refer to our medical schools as appreviations like NYCOM, CCOM, DCOM, KCUMB, when the allopathic world doesn't even do this? Not only do we worry about the DO title, but we love using a bunch of letters to refer to our schools. I guess it is easier when talking about the school rather than giving the full name.

Hmm AECOM and NYMC -allo schools...I guess it is just to make the life easy :)

:eek: Calm down there. What about DMU? Did you notice that the abreviations are for the colleges of osteopathic medicine within the universities? Pick any allo program and there will be a SOM or COM at the end of it. Nothing special here.

Members don't see this ad :)
you know its funny cuz at my CCOM interview..i pronounced it as "C-COM" and they corrected me saying it is "C-C-O-M" :p i have a friend who interviewed at PCOM and they corrected her as well saying it is "P-C-O-M" not "P-COM". oh well..i still cant bring myself to say C-C-O-M because i've been saying C-COM for so long :p

...random info, i know!

nyu med
ucsf som
ucsd (san diego) com
uci (irvine)som
ucla som

you know its funny cuz at my CCOM interview..i pronounced it as "C-COM" and they corrected me saying it is "C-C-O-M" :p i have a friend who interviewed at PCOM and they corrected her as well saying it is "P-C-O-M" not "P-COM". oh well..i still cant bring myself to say C-C-O-M because i've been saying C-COM for so long :p

...random info, i know!

:laugh: I guess we think alike. That's how I've been pronouncing the abbreviations, too. I've heard others enunciating all the letters, and I resist doing so because it's just more work. :p :D