HarveyCushing

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
Status (Visible)
.... refer to our medical schools as appreviations like NYCOM, CCOM, DCOM, KCUMB, when the allopathic world doesn't even do this? Not only do we worry about the DO title, but we love using a bunch of letters to refer to our schools. I guess it is easier when talking about the school rather than giving the full name.

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2002
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
.... refer to our medical schools as appreviations like NYCOM, CCOM, DCOM, KCUMB, when the allopathic world doesn't even do this? Not only do we worry about the DO title, but we love using a bunch of letters to refer to our schools. I guess it is easier when talking about the school rather than giving the full name.

Hmm AECOM and NYMC -allo schools...I guess it is just to make the life easy :)

NickRiviera

MS-Never
10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Springfield, IL
Status (Visible)
:eek: Calm down there. What about DMU? Did you notice that the abreviations are for the colleges of osteopathic medicine within the universities? Pick any allo program and there will be a SOM or COM at the end of it. Nothing special here.

About the Ads

cbenedic

Wolverine for life
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2006
Chi-town, Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
you know its funny cuz at my CCOM interview..i pronounced it as "C-COM" and they corrected me saying it is "C-C-O-M" :p i have a friend who interviewed at PCOM and they corrected her as well saying it is "P-C-O-M" not "P-COM". oh well..i still cant bring myself to say C-C-O-M because i've been saying C-COM for so long :p

...random info, i know!

igcgnerd

Hawkeye
10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
nyu med
ucsf som
ucsd (san diego) com
uci (irvine)som
ucla som

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
you know its funny cuz at my CCOM interview..i pronounced it as "C-COM" and they corrected me saying it is "C-C-O-M" :p i have a friend who interviewed at PCOM and they corrected her as well saying it is "P-C-O-M" not "P-COM". oh well..i still cant bring myself to say C-C-O-M because i've been saying C-COM for so long :p

...random info, i know!

:laugh: I guess we think alike. That's how I've been pronouncing the abbreviations, too. I've heard others enunciating all the letters, and I resist doing so because it's just more work. :p :D

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.