Why is Match Day so long after when programs and students submit rankings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to use the Osteopathic Match for this example.

This year, both programs and applicants had to submit their final rank lists on January 28th. So basically from January 28th forward, all the information needed had been submitted (quotas, etc.). Yet, Match day is February 14th this year, over 2 weeks later. Since the Match process is just running a computer program, why isn't Match day the next business day, such as January 31st in this case? Why do they need over 2 weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to use the Osteopathic Match for this example.

This year, both programs and applicants had to submit their final rank lists on January 28th. So basically from January 28th forward, all the information needed had been submitted (quotas, etc.). Yet, Match day is February 14th this year, over 2 weeks later. Since the Match process is just running a computer program, why isn't Match day the next business day, such as January 31st in this case? Why do they need over 2 weeks?

allopathic match is 3+ weeks away from last date of submission and we're not allowed to pre-match. Uphill in the snow, both ways...

But I certainly get your point. Even a week seems like it would be more than sufficient for some computer to run the combinatorics that is the match. 15000 studentsX25000 spots, shouldn't take THAT long, right?:rolleyes: Of course, our foredoctors most likely sued the crap out of the match resulting in a need to quadruple check and hence the long wait.

Supposedly it only takes like 7 minutes. I have no idea why they wait...it's annoying.

They also have to print out everyone's matches, get all those envelopes ready, and send them out, making sure that they get even to the schools in east bumchuck in time for match day. In the middle of blizzard season, too. I think it's fair that they want to have a bit of leeway in case something doesn't go according to plan.

They also have to print out everyone's matches, get all those envelopes ready, and send them out, making sure that they get even to the schools in east bumchuck in time for match day. In the middle of blizzard season, too. I think it's fair that they want to have a bit of leeway in case something doesn't go according to plan.

Is that really how it works? NMRP prints the envelopes? I figured either GME or Med Ed offices were given the list go create the envelopes themselves.

Don't forget though that Osteopathic schools do not get those envelopes since DO schools do not have a Match Day celebration. We just get an individual email. Also, DOs cannot pre-match either.

So I guess it really should just take 7 minutes, maybe 1 more for the emails to be sent;-)

Is that really how it works? NMRP prints the envelopes? I figured either GME or Med Ed offices were given the list go create the envelopes themselves.

Oh, you may be right. I really have no idea.

i could do with a little less pageantry and a little more speed. let the computers do their thing and email me my results. i'm already so over this waiting thing. (sigh)

There's also an audit of the results to make sure the algorithm did what it said it was going to do.

That takes a good deal of time.

There's also an audit of the results to make sure the algorithm did what it said it was going to do.

That takes a good deal of time.

Then an audit of the printed results (at least for the NRMP) to make sure they match what the computer said.

We go over this every year. The answer is always the same. You'll get over it, just like everybody else before you has.

Then an audit of the printed results (at least for the NRMP) to make sure they match what the computer said.

We go over this every year. The answer is always the same. You'll get over it, just like everybody else before you has.

Doesn't bother me. Audit the crap out of it and get it right. :thumbup:

Don't forget though that Osteopathic schools do not get those envelopes since DO schools do not have a Match Day celebration. We just get an individual email. Also, DOs cannot pre-match either.

So I guess it really should just take 7 minutes, maybe 1 more for the emails to be sent;-)

False info on pre-matching.

I've had multiple classmates pre-match already.

False info on pre-matching.

I've had multiple classmates pre-match already.

Will you please define what you mean by "pre-match"? Did they actually already sign a residency contract? So did they withdraw from the Match? What specialties did they get?

Do you happen to have a source on where it says whether or not DOs are allowed to pre-match?

Will you please define what you mean by "pre-match"? Did they actually already sign a residency contract? So did they withdraw from the Match? What specialties did they get?

Do you happen to have a source on where it says whether or not DOs are allowed to pre-match?
Yes, DOs pre-match. They sign a contract and then withdraw from the NRMP match. I have friends every year who have pre-matched. One just pre-matched anesthesiology in NYC! :thumbup:

EDIT: The whole "pre-match"/signing outside of the match applies only to DO students applying to MD programs. DO students can't officially sign contracts outside of the match in the DO match. So maybe that's where we are all confused here.

Not sure where you got the information that DO students can't sign outside of the match, since I thought that was common knowledge. Osteopathic students are considered "independent applicants"...ie we are NOT "US Seniors". Therefore we are able to take offers outside of the match, as IMG/FMG's and PGY-1's are. We must withdraw from the match after signing an offer, per NRMP rules. All of this is written in the NRMP guidelines.

In my class this year there have been at least 5 people who have already signed contracts outside of the match, in psychiatry, pediatrics, and internal medicine. Some are big-name programs, some are smaller.

Last edited:
Yes.... I know 2 people that have pre-matched this year. Both DOs prematching at Cleveland Clinic... 1 Radiology 1 Psychiatry. Both signed contracts and pulled out of the NRMP match.

D.O.s can pre-match at allopathic residencies and sign a contract outside of the match. However, DOs applying to osteopathic residency programs are not allowed to prematch, only to go through the regular matching process.

D.O.s can pre-match at allopathic residencies and sign a contract outside of the match. However, DOs applying to osteopathic residency programs are not allowed to prematch, only to go through the regular matching process.

When are these pre-match contracts offered? Is it before the DO match day or before the rank list deadline? I thought submitting your rank list was a binding contract, in which case you couldn't accept an MD pre-match, but I'm not sure if I heard that correctly.