Why is MCAT preparation so expensive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espadaleader

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A professional MCAT course is the de facto preparation method for pre-medical students. It runs approximately $1999 USD+.

With even more content being added to the MCAT, I fear that the MCAT preparation will become cost prohibitive, while the importance of professional preparation will increase.

For those that disagree with the aforementioned statement, I also think the self-study alternative will become much more difficult due to the increased content + costs of buying more materials.

There is also a twist in the new exam. It moves away from the more traditional concepts in general chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry. Concepts like phase equilibria, momentum, waves, circular motion, and mass spec will be removed completely and chemistry/physics will be taught only in a biological context. I also think that most students in traditional chemistry/physics courses will have a more difficult time because of it, because what they are learning in class will be farther from what is being tested.

As far as focusing the exam more on the biological aspects of these topics, I think that is ideal. However, until more general chemistry and physics courses become more interdisciplinary, I think students will be at a disadvantage. What are your thoughts?

JAMA posted an amazing MedEd issue in two weeks ago:
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/issue.aspx?journalid=67&issueid=929415&direction=P

Ref: MCAT 2015: What the Test Change Means for You Now

If you're interested in why I am interested: I am interested in medical education research.

Members don't see this ad.

There are many aspects of higher education that are prohibitively expensive and favor the wealthy, so the cost of an optional test prep course seems trivial in the bigger picture.

I agree though that $2000 seems like overkill.

Reactions: 1 user
A professional MCAT course is the de facto preparation method for pre-medical students. It runs approximately $1999 USD+.

With even more content being added to the MCAT, I fear that the MCAT preparation will become cost prohibitive, while the importance of professional preparation will increase.

For those that disagree with the aforementioned statement, I also think the self-study alternative will become much more difficult due to the increased content + costs of buying more materials.

There is also a twist in the new exam. It moves away from the more traditional concepts in general chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry. Concepts like phase equilibria, momentum, waves, circular motion, and mass spec will be removed completely and chemistry/physics will be taught only in a biological context. I also think that most students in traditional chemistry/physics courses will have a more difficult time because of it, because what they are learning in class will be farther from what is being tested.

As far as focusing the exam more on the biological aspects of these topics, I think that is ideal. However, until more general chemistry and physics courses become more interdisciplinary, I think students will be at a disadvantage. What are your thoughts?

JAMA posted an amazing MedEd issue in two weeks ago:
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/issue.aspx?journalid=67&issueid=929415&direction=P

Ref: MCAT 2015: What the Test Change Means for You Now

If you're interested in why I am interested: I am interested in medical education research.

Why is MCAT prep so expensive? Because companies make profit off of these unnecessary courses and feed off the neuroticism of premeds.

I spent $500 on books to self study for the MCAT. Scored 30+, then sold the books and got $450 back. Take that as you will.

However, I do wonder how applicants are going to study for the new MCAT when I assume there is not going to be as much established study material to help them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's already prohibitively expensive, personally. There was absolutely no way that I could have afforded a prep class. I would love to see a program in place to help low SES students with test prep, travel, etc. The FAP is great, but it's not enough for a lot of people to have a realistic chance. I think it's especially important since there is so much emphasis now on finding people with unique experiences and people who will be better at the so called "softer" side of medicine. I think we're missing out on a lot of potentially great candidates because of the cost of the entire process.

Reactions: 14 users
I'd say the entire process of pursuing a medical education is cost-prohibitive. If one phrase can accurately summarize the whole of the United States in the 21st century it is "cost-prohibitive."

If you cannot afford to live in a good neighborhood or a decent private education you are at a disadvantage.
If you cannot afford SAT/ACT prep then you are at a disadvantage.
Because of disadvantages 1 and 2 you have a harder time entering a college that's willing to pay for your education.
If you cannot afford the college you are accepted to you are at a disadvantage.
Then, if you cannot afford an MCAT prep course you are at a disadvantage.

There's two immediate alternatives:
1. Bootstrap and overcome all of these disadvantages through self-motivation, study, and avid use of open resources. The problem here is that if you are not aware of "the game" at an early enough age then you will lose "the game".
2. Take on massive amounts of debt.

Possible long-term fixes:

1. Heavily subsidize medical education and make room for professional pay cuts in the long run by first streamlining health-care payment methods, insurance implementation, and improved health-care delivery.
2. Restructure and improve the quality of primary and secondary education in such a way that it becomes realistic to open more trade schools at the collegiate level without sacrificing the value of a real education - this aims to curb the current higher education bubble or at least alleviate some of the aftershocks when it bursts in the next decade.

The point I'm trying to make is that reform must either be top-down or bottom-up. Which is better, I can't say. It's an interesting question.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I spent $500 on books to self study for the MCAT. Scored 30+, then sold the books and got $450 back. Take that as you will.

+1

My experience:
MCAT 1: Took prep class and bought books accordingly --> 28
MCAT 2: Self-studied from books bought at previous prep class --> 32

Buying used off Amazon is the way to go...wish someone made that clear to me my first go-around.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd say the entire process of pursuing a medical education is cost-prohibitive. If one phrase can accurately summarize the whole of the United States in the 21st century it is "cost-prohibitive."

If you cannot afford to live in a good neighborhood or a decent private education you are at a disadvantage.
If you cannot afford SAT/ACT prep then you are at a disadvantage.
Because of disadvantages 1 and 2 you have a harder time entering a college that's willing to pay for your education.
If you cannot afford the college you are accepted to you are at a disadvantage.
Then, if you cannot afford an MCAT prep course you are at a disadvantage.

There's two immediate alternatives:
1. Bootstrap and overcome all of these disadvantages through self-motivation, study, and avid use of open resources. The problem here is that if you are not aware of "the game" at an early enough age then you will lose "the game".
2. Take on massive amounts of debt.

Possible long-term fixes:

1. Heavily subsidize medical education and make room for professional pay cuts in the long run by first streamlining health-care payment methods, insurance implementation, and improved health-care delivery.
2. Restructure and improve the quality of primary and secondary education in such a way that it becomes realistic to open more trade schools at the collegiate level without sacrificing the value of a real education - this aims to curb the current higher education bubble or at least alleviate some of the aftershocks when it bursts in the next decade.

However, typically a lot of people who have none of these options available to them would be considered disadvantaged in some fashion (maybe rural, or race related etc) and therefore the bar to receive an acceptance is usually lower. I think medical schools are actually aware and help students who are in that situation. Your scores and grades and school you went to might not be as good as everyone elses but because you fit into that minority group, you will have a little bit of an easier time with admission (just look at the stats).

But overall I agree with you, just thought that was worth mentioning.

To the OP, just a by the way to chat with your pre-med adviser. Mine actually had a coupon that made a Kaplan MCAT prep course free. Like 2000$ off free.... There are scholarships and stuff out there, one ust have to look for them. I ended up having to pay with student loans for a prep course and it was a huge freaking waste of time and money. So I agree with someone else on here that said it is really fed by neurotic pre-meds. If I could go back I would have got a stack of books, ordered the AAMC practice tests, and then sold all of my books.

And as for the new MCAT, just realize that there is a curve that is made from all of the students who take the test on that particular day. So like if the average amount of people will struggle with the new MCAT, then they will get average scores because the curve is built around the students who took that particular copy of the test (this is why it takes so freaking long to get your score back)... pretty similar to how it is now. So personally while I think finding study materials will be challenging on the new MCAT, theoretically there actually will likely be less competition to do well (if you prepare the same amount that you would have now). Just a thought

+1

My experience:

Buying used off Amazon is the way to go...wish someone made that clear to me my first go-around.

I took the prep class and got a 29. Im about to start studying for a second attempt and shoot for 30+. My subscription for TPR ends well before I plan to take the MCAT and the practice tests go with it. What is the best way to go about getting access to practice tests once that goes?

Is the only way to go ahead and pay for them? I know AAMC 3 is free.

However, typically a lot of people who have none of these options available to them would be considered disadvantaged in some fashion (maybe rural, or race related etc) and therefore the bar to receive an acceptance is usually lower. I think medical schools are actually aware and help students who are in that situation. Your scores and grades and school you went to might not be as good as everyone elses but because you fit into that minority group, you will have a little bit of an easier time with admission (just look at the stats).

To the OP, just a by the way to chat with your pre-med adviser. Mine actually had a coupon that made a Kaplan MCAT prep course free. Like 2000$ off free.... There are scholarships and stuff out there, one just have to look for them. I ended up having to pay with student loans for a prep course and it was a huge freaking waste of time and money. So I agree with someone else on here that said it is really fed by neurotic pre-meds. If I could go back I would have got a stack of books, ordered the AAMC practice tests, and then sold all of my books.

And as for the new MCAT, just realize that there is a curve that is made from all of the students who take the test on that particular day. So like if the average amount of people will struggle with the new MCAT, then they will get average scores because the curve is built around the students who took that particular copy of the test (this is why it takes so freaking long to get your score back)... pretty similar to how it is now. So personally while I think finding study materials will be challenging on the new MCAT, theoretically there actually will likely be less competition to do well (if you prepare the same amount that you would have now). Just a thought

To Bold 1: Yup, as a URM I am especially aware of this. Currently, it is the case that the greatest proportion of disadvantaged students are minorities/members of a rural community, but - and it has been the case since the 1980s - the gulf between the richest and poorest in this country is growing larger every day. The middle class is shrinking and rising education costs are already posing a very real threat, even to middle-class, white America. The question of disadvantage in the coming decades, I believe, will be one of class and not race. We're not there yet, and there's still a long way to go before a "post-racial" US but my point is that not even affluent suburbs are safe anymore. Reform is needed for sure.

+1, +1 to Bolds 1 and 2.

+1

My experience:

you are tempting me sir haha... i took a princeton review course and got a 28 and realized AFTER that the course wasted so much of my time that I could have spent studying more effectively for the test... I have been thinking about studying on my own and retaking... How much time were you able to give it the second go around? This is actually my bigger fear. I know I would be able to study more efficiently the second go around, but I ABSOLUTELY would not be able to give it the time that I gave it (due to changes in work etc.)

Part of me wants to retake with the new MCAT because of the reasons:
1) less competition. There is going to be a surge of people who take it before it switches over. There will for sure be less people taking it when it first switches. So you have less people to compete against
2) The study material is not as well known. So like theoretically if you feel confident and find a really solid method to study the new materials then you should do better. Lets say now you study 200 hours. Well there could be a lot more people also studying 200 hours but are studying with better methods (because they have done a crap ton more research or this is their 3rd retake etc), so you have a higher chance of doing worse (comparatively to others, this is what is important for MCAT scoring!) than if you were to study 200 hours with the new stuff. Everyone is just as lost as you for the new stuff... so you could blend in to the average easier, or excel easier if you had a solid plan made...

Again just my thoughts, could be 100% wrong haha

I took the prep class and got a 29. Im about to start studying for a second attempt and shoot for 30+. My subscription for TPR ends well before I plan to take the MCAT and the practice tests go with it. What is the best way to go about getting access to practice tests once that goes?

from what I have heard, that is the only way unfortunately... got to pay for each one

To Bold 1: Yup, as a URM I am especially aware of this. Currently, it is the case that the greatest proportion of disadvantaged students are minorities/members of a rural community, but - and it has been the case since the 1980s - the gulf between the richest and poorest in this country is growing larger every day. The middle class is shrinking and rising education costs are already posing a very real threat, even to middle-class, white America. The question of disadvantage in the coming decades, I believe, will be one of class and not race. We're not there yet, and there's still a long way to go before a "post-racial" US but my point is that not even affluent suburbs are safe anymore. Reform is needed for sure.

+1, +1 to Bolds 1 and 2.

I definitely agree with you.. it is annoying that I was having to use student loans and scrounge for money to pay for books and a course, when there were several other people in my classes who had very rich parents who have paid for SEVERAL courses (for some of the students). I know if I was in this situation 15 years from now, it would be a lot harder than it is now. But that is also why I think that making a new MCAT is so good. In a very small way it sort of resets the bar. Socioeconomically it doesnt help much, but test material wise it will help for the first couple of years before test companies start taking over and profiteering.

I definitely agree with you.. it is annoying that I was having to use student loans and scrounge for money to pay for books and a course, when there were several other people in my classes who had very rich parents who have paid for SEVERAL courses (for some of the students). I know if I was in this situation 15 years from now, it would be a lot harder than it is now. But that is also why I think that making a new MCAT is so good. In a very small way it sort of resets the bar. Socioeconomically it doesnt help much, but test material wise it will help for the first couple of years before test companies start taking over and profiteering.

I agree. I've been a pretty natural test taker this far in my life (no one had clued me in on the college game when I took my SAT/ACT) so I'm hoping the lack of game-ability on the new 2015 will be my saving grace as it has been before haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is MCAT prep so expensive? Because companies make profit off of these unnecessary courses and feed off the neuroticism of premeds.

+1

The MCAT, to my understanding, is a cakewalk compared to med school exams and boards. One should be motivated to study and do well on the MCAT - it's only going to become more self-directed in med school.

But yes, just as SAT preps gave students with money an advantage, MCAT preps will always be advantageous to those that can afford them. But they are not, and should never be, necessary to perform well. I used a single set of "outdated" used books that I got for practically nothing and got a 14 and 13 on PS and BS. It's all written out for you....one just has to sit down, put in the time, and learn it.

Did you mean TBR (The Berkeley Review)? Their books are what I used and thought they were great. I just went through every practice quiz in those, timed myself, and re-studied my mistakes. I think I might have bought 1 or 2 AAMC official practice tests besides the free ones, but that was the extent of my practice testing.

you are tempting me sir haha... i took a princeton review course and got a 28 and realized AFTER that the course wasted so much of my time that I could have spent studying more effectively for the test... I have been thinking about studying on my own and retaking... How much time were you able to give it the second go around? This is actually my bigger fear. I know I would be able to study more efficiently the second go around, but I ABSOLUTELY would not be able to give it the time that I gave it (due to changes in work etc.)

Haha yeah. The class was beneficial, and I'm not sure if it was worth less than self-study time, but I was just trying to point out that it certainly was by no means necessary. I took the prep class during undergrad classes (MCAT #2 was post-graduation), so that really ate up time I didn't have.

Out of sheer naivety and lack of good study habits, I studied 3 weeks for my 2nd MCAT. I worked a job for about 20 hours/week for the first 2 weeks of that 3. I studied about 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. This was efficient, fear-motivated studying though, so I probably got in about 150 hours of pure studying (ignoring wasteful time like SDN, FB, etc.). Those 3 weeks were pretty brutal...prepared me for med school lifestyle. :laugh:

Medical students are able to take out loans for their immediate costs of USMLE prep/Interviews. Undergraduates are not afforded even that, which makes prep harder.

To the OP, just a by the way to chat with your pre-med adviser. Mine actually had a coupon that made a Kaplan MCAT prep course free. Like 2000$ off free.... There are scholarships and stuff out there, one ust have to look for them. I ended up having to pay with student loans for a prep course and it was a huge freaking waste of time and money. So I agree with someone else on here that said it is really fed by neurotic pre-meds. If I could go back I would have got a stack of books, ordered the AAMC practice tests, and then sold all of my books.

+1, +1 to Bolds 1 and 2.[/quote]

I am post-acceptance and I was fortunate to have a discount. I paid 1400 from 1800 I believe. Good advice.

Did you mean TBR (The Berkeley Review)? Their books are what I used and thought they were great. I just went through every practice quiz in those, timed myself, and re-studied my mistakes. I think I might have bought 1 or 2 AAMC official practice tests besides the free ones, but that was the extent of my practice testing.

Haha yeah. The class was beneficial, and I'm not sure if it was worth less than self-study time, but I was just trying to point out that it certainly was by no means necessary. I took the prep class during undergrad classes (MCAT #2 was post-graduation), so that really ate up time I didn't have.

Out of sheer naivety and lack of good study habits, I studied 3 weeks for my 2nd MCAT. I worked a job for about 20 hours/week for the first 2 weeks of that 3. I studied about 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. This was efficient, fear-motivated studying though, so I probably got in about 150 hours of pure studying (ignoring wasteful time like SDN, FB, etc.). Those 3 weeks were pretty brutal...prepared me for med school lifestyle. :laugh:

Haha I hear ya. But no, TPR means The Princeton Review. Basically the same thing but I think one or the other is more prevalent in different areas of the country. Same concept though.

I think the main benefit of an expensive prep course is not the material, or even the strategies, taught in the class. All of that can be found in a review book. What you get with a course is the structure and a teacher who might kindly berate you if you don't do your homework. If you have the will and dedication to self-study without a class to hold you to your promise, then you might very well do just fine without the class. But you can't procrastinate if you want to do well. The other useful tool you get with a paid course is a large number of practice problems and, most importantly, practice tests; I think these are crucial tools, and they can also be purchased separately (again, for a good amount of money, but cheaper than the whole course). Of course, additional third-party (i.e. not the AAMC) practice tests might come with a class, and although I agree they're not quite as helpful as the official exams are, I do think having extra timed exams is worthwhile.

I self-studied, most people I talked to who took a course said it wasn't worth the time/money if they could have simply been dedicated enough to put the time in regularly.

I honestly think these courses are a trap. Many students believe that these courses will magically guide them to a higher score. In reality, there is no magic way to get a 30+. All it takes is hard, lengthy studying, which can be done on his/her own.

Because capitalism

I agree. It seems to me that people rationalize the cost of test prep by comparing it to the financials of applying and the wage of a physician. What you're really paying for is a prescribed structure for education and a higher cost means a greater incentive to stick to how they teach. And that works very well for some people.

It'd be silly for me tho. My first MCAT was a 32 using three-year-old kaplan books and solo studying. My second was a 37 using those same kaplan books and again solo studying, albeit in a more rigorous manner.

Last edited:
if you think MCAT was expensive, wait till you see the costs associated with boards...

I self studied (couldn't afford prep), got a 29 and was quite thrilled with it and going to Med school next year :highfive:. Then again, top schools were never something I was straight shooting for.

Even with 'relaxed' acceptance standards and FAP, coming from households making 40k or less makes interviewing and applying is extremely challenging. I'm sure most people have it worse than I did (I'm considered Econ. Disadvantged) and usually those that can't afford this process don't really speak up and are often unheard from. Also theres the inherent risk of not being accepted and then your loans and credit cards have to be paid for. It sucks that its set up this way and I don't think people realize how this process really barrs a lot of people from applying.

Accord to AAMC, the average medical matriculant's family is making 100k
https://www.aamc.org/download/102338/data/

And I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons as to why, but it certainly makes traveling and applying to schools much easier. FAP is nice, but doesn't help with travel/location/start up costs etc.

USMLE prep is included in COA. MCAT prep is not. If your parents cannot pay/you cannot work then you have to pay the costs upfront. Interviews too. Interviews are also included in COA in medical school.

You cannot go to you fin aid office or to a bank/lender (gap year) and ask them for 4,000 dollars for medical school.

At least in medical school you're given the ability to even take out a loan for applications/exams etc.

No prep course for me, 2mo of studying over the summer, maybe ~250 for books (forget at this point). 37Q buuuut 15-14-8 so kind of bummed.

I highly doubt a prep course would have raised my verbal.

yall piss me off haha, I had a prep course, about 400$ worth of extra books, studied like 30-50 hours a week for 14 weeks straight... got a 28 haha...
cant fix stupid I suppose heh

I did much better when I self studied with the EK suite compared to my TPR prep class, but not by much lol. I will say this though, if it wasn't for FAP, there's no way I would've been able to take the MCAT or apply to as many schools as I did. I'm glad that there's at least some sort of assistance out there.

although it is malarkey that they base the FAP off of your parents income.... kinda bull crap. I dont know if I am gonna get it or not because of my parents, never mind the fact that I am married, pay my own bills, and live over 800 miles away from my parents...

Reactions: 2 users
although it is malarkey that they base the FAP off of your parents income.... kinda bull crap. I dont know if I am gonna get it or not because of my parents, never mind the fact that I am married, pay my own bills, and live over 800 miles away from my parents...

Well, then every college student can technically claim FAP since they have either really low income or no income at all.

But I agree that after a certain age, they should take parents out of the equation.

Reactions: 1 users
USMLE prep is included in COA. MCAT prep is not. If your parents cannot pay/you cannot work then you have to pay the costs upfront. Interviews too. Interviews are also included in COA in medical school.

Er, I don't know where this idea is coming from that USMLE prep is a line item on the COA for medical school. The line item on med school COA that says USMLE XXX is just the test fee itself ($560-ish for Step 1 and like $1700-ish for Step 2 CS + CK). As with undergrad, there is a line for books on the COA, which, if you don't buy books or buy your books used like any reasonable person should, some USMLE-oriented costs could be slid into that category. And, no, there is certainly no line item in the COA for med school for interviews for residency.

But to answer the question of why it is so expensive: it is expensive because there are a bunch of people with deep pockets (directly or via parents) who believe that the surest way to the score they want is someone else structuring a course for them.

Last edited:
Why are so many people taking these classes? Are your college classes not covering the material? When I applied I went and bought a $20 book at the campus bookstore and reviewed 8 hours a day for a week over spring break and got a 37.
#bamf

Er, I don't know where this idea is coming from that USMLE prep is a line item on the COA for medical school. The line item on med school COA that says USMLE XXX is just the test fee itself ($560-ish for Step 1 and like $2600-ish for Step 2 CS + CK). As with undergrad, there is a line for books on the COA, which, if you don't buy books or buy your books used like any reasonable person should, some USMLE-oriented costs could be slid into that category. And, no, there is certainly no line item in the COA for med school for interviews for residency.

But to answer the question of why it is so expensive: it is expensive because there are a bunch of people with deep pockets (directly or via parents) who believe that the surest way to the score they want is someone else structuring a course for them.

Okay, I had to look back at my interview packets. Damn :( I am wrong about the USMLE.
A few of my schools factored in a few grand for interviews in MS-4.

If you cannot borrow over the COA how are you supposed to pay for this stuff?

Why are so many people taking these classes? Are your college classes not covering the material? When I applied I went and bought a $20 book at the campus bookstore and reviewed 8 hours a day for a week over spring break and got a 37.

I think you can appreciate that your experience is not at all typical.

Reactions: 3 users

For URMs, absolutely. For low-SES Asians, Whites, etc I don't get the sense that this is true. Bootstrap applicants with interesting stories of any race might get extra consideration, but they are the tiny minority who navigated the long road largely on their own. There are so many people who simply didn't make it to the point of putting together an application because they lacked the resources and social capital to have a realistic shot.

Last edited:

Why?

5f017718ab946894da0680ba2f5762e7.png

Price elasticity of demand. Turns out they raise prices and people keep purchasing.

My theory is that self-studiers make up a disproportionate chunk of both ends of the MCAT score curve, while those that pay for prep courses make up much of the middle.

It seems that the tried and true methods (such as SN2ed's 3-4 month methods) are those in which people self study and review or teach themselves the information. The cost for something like that, if you get all the materials, runs several hundred dollars. I feel as if with my study style, I would get the most out of solo work and having control over the pace of the content review. The majority of people seem to hold the opinion that prep-courses are a waste of time/money, but they may work for certain people ( I know a girl who can't learn a thing unless she heard it in a lecture).

Okay, I had to look back at my interview packets. Damn :( I am wrong about the USMLE.
A few of my schools factored in a few grand for interviews in MS-4.

If you cannot borrow over the COA how are you supposed to pay for this stuff?
Why is your status "Fellow"?

Just a heads up, the entire process going forward is unreasonably expensive. Get used to it.

^^^It is unfair to other pre-meds seeking advice/opinions to present yourself as having more experience than you do, for precisely this reason. Presenting yourself as a fellow when you're a pre-med is against the TOS.

I feel terrible for anyone who pays ridiculous amounts for mcat studying... such a ripoff, especially those classes... I spent 75 bucks on EK... scored 30+...

Then I realized I was an idiot for buying that and got BR, TPR, AAMC's, Kaplans, etc., basically everything else you could imagine, for free :naughty:

Wow, OP not being a Fellow completely changes the entire thread...

While I can understand the confusion, Espada I suggest you change your status to Pre-Med. I think after Medical Student that every Resident and up should be verified to prevent this sort of thing and others from lying on here.

I think you can appreciate that your experience is not at all typical.
Eh, but when I was applying nobody I knew took the courses unless they had already taken it and gotten a 22 or something. Is it actually common to take one now, or is it just an SDN neurotic pre-med thing to think it is basically de facto?

Eh, but when I was applying nobody I knew took the courses unless they had already taken it and gotten a 22 or something. Is it actually common to take one now, or is it just an SDN neurotic pre-med thing to think it is basically de facto?

According to the MSQ data, about 60% of matriculants take a prep course. So not everyone, but definitely still very common.