Why is medical school so easy?

Started by Oblivion96
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion96

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I started my medical journey as a pre med a few months ago. I just have a couple concerns though. Is medical school too easy? I am not in medical school so I wouldn't know, but I have seen people on this forum comment about how they think medical school is "not hard by any stretch". Other people also have said that undergraduate is easier. One person I recall even called it a " joke". Even my cousin who went to med school said it was easy. He said if you can memorize a bunch of facts and study for an hour a day you can do well, is it all blind rote memorization? Is this true? If I don't try hard and slack off and only study sometimes, is it possible for me to graduate from med school? I don't think it's right to make it easy so any really stupid person can be a doctor. People's lives are in their hands. So is med school easy?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
4332434-2200935419-setsa.jpg
 
I started my medical journey as a pre med a few months ago. I just have a couple concerns though. Is medical school too easy? I am not in medical school so I wouldn't know, but I have seen people on this forum comment about how they think medical school is "not hard by any stretch". Other people also have said that undergraduate is easier. One person I recall even called it a " joke". Even my cousin who went to med school said it was easy. He said if you can memorize a bunch of facts and study for an hour a day you can do well, is it all blind rote memorization? Is this true? If I don't try hard and slack off and only study sometimes, is it possible for me to graduate from med school? I don't think it's right to make it easy so any really stupid person can be a doctor. People's lives are in their hands. So is med school easy?
CsJzush.png
 
I started my medical journey as a pre med a few months ago. I just have a couple concerns though. Is medical school too easy? I am not in medical school so I wouldn't know, but I have seen people on this forum comment about how they think medical school is "not hard by any stretch". Other people also have said that undergraduate is easier. One person I recall even called it a " joke". Even my cousin who went to med school said it was easy. He said if you can memorize a bunch of facts and study for an hour a day you can do well, is it all blind rote memorization? Is this true? If I don't try hard and slack off and only study sometimes, is it possible for me to graduate from med school? I don't think it's right to make it easy so any really stupid person can be a doctor. People's lives are in their hands. So is med school easy?
Yeah bro. Med school is so easy. Too easy. In fact, it only gets easier as you go from college to med school to residency. Residency is easier than med school and med school is easier than college. The hardest of all is kindergarten. Damn I could never color within the lines and confused glue with food all. the. time. Huge failure rates in my kindy class too. Mrs. Brown didn't clown around.
 
I started my medical journey as a pre med a few months ago. I just have a couple concerns though. Is medical school too easy? I am not in medical school so I wouldn't know, but I have seen people on this forum comment about how they think medical school is "not hard by any stretch". Other people also have said that undergraduate is easier. One person I recall even called it a " joke". Even my cousin who went to med school said it was easy. He said if you can memorize a bunch of facts and study for an hour a day you can do well, is it all blind rote memorization? Is this true? If I don't try hard and slack off and only study sometimes, is it possible for me to graduate from med school? I don't think it's right to make it easy so any really stupid person can be a doctor. People's lives are in their hands. So is med school easy?
Everyone thinks its easy and no one studies. But, at the same time, everyone lies. Make of that what you will.
 
I understand "easy" is subjective, but I'm serious about medicine and becoming a doctor. I am just curious what I'm in for if I still decide I want to go to med school. I was intimidated by the thought of medical school when I decided to go into pre med, but with all these people saying it's easy, I am actually encouraged. Why do you people think it's hard. How is it hard?
 
Last edited:
I started my medical journey as a pre med a few months ago. I just have a couple concerns though. Is medical school too easy? I am not in medical school so I wouldn't know, but I have seen people on this forum comment about how they think medical school is "not hard by any stretch". Other people also have said that undergraduate is easier. One person I recall even called it a " joke". Even my cousin who went to med school said it was easy. He said if you can memorize a bunch of facts and study for an hour a day you can do well, is it all blind rote memorization?...I don't think it's right to make it easy so any really stupid person can be a doctor. People's lives are in their hands. So is med school easy?
Yeah, it's easy. Hope you decide to go and enjoy the journey!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To be honest OP, medical school is what you make of it. It isn't difficult if you're simply aiming to just pass your classes. However, if you're shooting for top 25% of the class or higher, you have to put in some serious, committed, effort. The material isn't difficult, there's just a lot of it. The higher you want to score, the more hours you need to put in.
 
I was joking. Medical school is not = to being a doctor, the same way going to law school is not = to practicing law. It's a means to an end. If medical school or being a doctor were only memorizing facts, we could just have computers do it, who would be better at it than any human.
 
To be honest OP, medical school is what you make of it. It isn't difficult if you're simply aiming to just pass your classes. However, if you're shooting for top 25% of the class or higher, you have to put in some serious, committed, effort. The material isn't difficult, there's just a lot of it. The higher you want to score, the more hours you need to put in.
What if one wanted to try for a surgical residency? Whether it be trauma surgery or neurosurgery. How well would they have to do in med school? Top 50%?
 
I wouldn't call it easy, but the material itself isn't very difficult when compared to my engineering studies. However, it's the volume of material you need to remember that makes it formidable.
Ok I see. So conceptually, its easy? But a lot of information. I don't consider myself very smart, could I do decent in med school if studied for maybe an hour or two a day? I don't want to stress myself out to much.
 
I understand "easy" is subjective, but I'm serious about medicine and becoming a doctor. I am just curious what I'm in for if I still decide I want to go to med school. I was intimidated by the thought of medical school when I decided to go into pre med, but with all these people saying it's easy, I am actually encouraged. Why do you people think it's hard. How is it hard?
It's easy for everyone except you
 
I am serious about the surgical residency though. How well would I have to do to make general surgery, trauma surgery, or neurosurgery? Percentage wise?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Its only hard in the sense I have no idea what to do with all my free time and all this debt. The other week I wanted to go to the zoo in Germany but couldn't afford it, that was really tough for me personally.
 
I started my medical journey as a pre med a few months ago. I just have a couple concerns though. Is medical school too easy? I am not in medical school so I wouldn't know, but I have seen people on this forum comment about how they think medical school is "not hard by any stretch". Other people also have said that undergraduate is easier. One person I recall even called it a " joke". Even my cousin who went to med school said it was easy. He said if you can memorize a bunch of facts and study for an hour a day you can do well, is it all blind rote memorization? Is this true? If I don't try hard and slack off and only study sometimes, is it possible for me to graduate from med school? I don't think it's right to make it easy so any really stupid person can be a doctor. People's lives are in their hands. So is med school easy?

Because you are a very smart individual with a bright future ahead!
 
I thought medical school was a breeze. I was top 5% of my class and I think I stepped foot in class about 10 times the whole 4 yrs. I usually just studied a hr before tests. The hard part is getting in. Getting through was a breeze
 
Are your friends in DO schools? Maybe thats why they're telling you its easy..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.