Why is rheum competitive all of a sudden?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jacksparrowMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
65% match this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Amazing lifestyle and money is improving (avg starting salary around $250k). Also people think biologics are cool, even though reality is small molecules are starting to take over. In five years, vast majority of rheumatologic disease will be treated with pills- not injection/infusions.

Reactions: 1 user
being a hospitalist is a terrible job.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I see TOO MANY unhappy internists hospitalists and PCPs. All sound fed up with the system looking for side gigs and what not to replace their physician income!
I am a second year Rheum fellow and as a fellow I am quiet happy and content with my specialty and its unbeatable lifestyle.
But all this unhappy vibes from practicing physicians is making me anxious and I keep wondering would my happiness continue as an attending?

Reactions: 1 users
I see TOO MANY unhappy internists hospitalists and PCPs. All sound fed up with the system looking for side gigs and what not to replace their physician income!
I am a second year Rheum fellow and as a fellow I am quiet happy and content with my specialty and its unbeatable lifestyle.
But all this unhappy vibes from practicing physicians is making me anxious and I keep wondering would my happiness continue as an attending?

depends...once you are an attending, you will be expected to see more patients than you typically do as a fellow. If you are efficient, then you can usually get things done and still get out of the clinic at a reasonable time...meaning within 60- 90 minutes after you see your last pt. If you are RVU based, then the number of pts you see will make a difference. Hospital based/academic may allow for less pts, but more politics and less money is not unusual.

most rheums that i know seem overall happy, but one of my best friends is rheum and she did get a bit fed up with the daily grind...she now does locums rheum and is much happier.