why is the porcelain fused to metal crown little radiopaque in the panoramic film?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toan Phan Van

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry about the bad picture. In this picture, there are some area that little radiopaque than others in the crowns. I don't know why it is. Anyone can help me explain it? thank you very much.
12336057_769312586514029_131991445_n.jpg
12366563_769312509847370_440488391_n.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Thinner material

And thank goodness I didn't get this question on the DAT

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think it due to the material,and is the crown made of titanium more radiolucent than other metals ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it due to the material,and is the crown made of titanium more radiolucent than other metals ?

I was being sarcastic. You are In The DAT section, only predentals come here. None of us know this stuff yet we are all in undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was being sarcastic. You are In The DAT section, only predentals come here. None of us know this stuff yet we are all in undergrad.
Oh. I'm so sorry. I don't mean that. I will post my thread into another places. This is my first time I participate the forum.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I've learned as an assistant, Titanium is the only radiolucent metal used in PFMs.

I thought it was some kind of joke like "why does the chicken cross the road.."

Clearly, I'm not bound to be a dentist

Thanks, I actually moved it to dental originally and then we realized the poster was pre-dental making this the more appropriate forum. All good.
Wouldn't the appropriate subforum be based on the subject matter at hand, as opposed to the OP's designation? Predents post questions in Dental all the time, and it is more likely that someone could answer this question there.

My guess is that the metal component of the PFM is radioopaque, whereas the porcelain component is slightly radiolucent. The type of luting agent may also affect the appearance - certain resin composite luting
agents for example may change the radiodensity.