Why MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SwineLake98

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you in a combined degree program, what made you decide to go that route? What are your career goals? I adore the basic sciences -- I enjoy being in class, I love going to research seminars, and I even enjoyed putting together a grant application. The thing is, after this summer where I was in an REU program and shadowing a physician, I realized that I love the clinic but couldn't possibly spend 40 hours a week in a lab. I would like to ultimately work in a university hospital or similar setting where I can be involved in both practicing medicine and academia, but I don't want research to be my sole focus. As of now, I would like to do a residency in internal medicine followed by a hematology/oncology fellowship. I didn't apply for the MSTP because I got into UB Early Assurance and didn't take the MCATs, but I do have a spot in the med school for next year. Does it sound like trying for a spot the MD/PhD program during my first year (which is an option) would be in my best interest? Is it worth doing an MD/PhD at UB? Should I finish my MD and then go back for my PhD if I decide I want it?

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't want to do enough research where you will want your own funding and lab, don't get a PhD. Just not worth it. If you can't see yourself spending 40 hrs a week doing research for your career, how are you going to spend 50-60 a week for 3-4 years getting your PhD. Combined degree students tend to be researchers moonlighting as doctors, not the other way around. Stick with your plan for fellowship after residency. And for the record, I have no idea what UB stands for.