SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Why NECO?

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by Optomoman, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Optomoman

Optomoman 5+ Year Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I really want to live in Boston! But...So expensive! For those of you who are going to NECO, or want to get in, what is it about that school that turns you on? I just need some advise as I narrow down my search. Please give me feedback.:D

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. eyedesire

eyedesire 7+ Year Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Canada
    Pros about NECO:
    -excellent clinic facility (brand new) and great pt diversity
    -REALLY good research goes on at NECO, high rate of publications in recognized journals, and opportunities for research in school/summer
    -early pt contact
    -Its in Boston! :thumbup:

4. forum stalker

forum stalker 2+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Cons about NECO:

- faculty is not as accomodating as other schools
    - clinic is far from school
    - Small school
    - EXPENSIVE living and tuition
    - lower board pass rates than other schools
    - too expensive to have a car

5. JeffChou

JeffChou Your mom goes to college 5+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Chicago, IL

What do you mean by "faculty is not as accommodating as other schools?"

Thanks!

6. forum stalker

forum stalker 2+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2007
    I needed a parking pass for my dad because all the meters in front were broken, we had to BEG the security guy for one. There was one person in the officer that I will hide their name, who was really rude to me. Accusing me of neglecting my dad (long story). All I know is people at ICO, PCO, and Pacific are way nicer and accomodating to your needs.

7. mtrlOATgal

mtrlOATgal 7+ Year Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Canada
    what are the stats of getting into neco? wouldnt that add into your consideration of aplying to neco or are you chosing whter you should accept?

8. Optomoman

Optomoman 5+ Year Member

Jan 22, 2007
    .Thanks for the feedback. I had an interview with NECO today and I am totally impressed. If I get in, this is where I will be going!:D.

9. Brown Eye Girl

Brown Eye Girl 2+ Year Member

Mar 27, 2007

Hey there!
    Can you pass on any tips about the interview? I am so so so nervous and scared and don't have any clue what to expect. Any advice would be helpful:)

10. Optomoman

Optomoman 5+ Year Member

Jan 22, 2007
    The interview itself was one-on-one with a member of the faculty, it lasted about an hour, and it was just casual conversation. Of course, there was the standard, "why optometry," and "why NECO," but other than that they just want to get to know you as a person. The day lasted about 7 hours, and everyone was real nice and accommodating. It was a piece of cake! No need to be nervous. Oh yea, and Boston is great!;)

11. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!! Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 25, 2001
    Tampa
    Check out SDN's Optometry Interview Feedback Section. Lots of help there ! Go to the top of the SDN page here to Optometry. Scroll down to "optometry school interview feedback"

Good luck on your interview !:luck:

12. JeffChou

JeffChou Your mom goes to college 5+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I also had an interview on March 26 (nice meeting you optomoman even though I'm not sure which person you really are!). The interviewer had a list of questions to go through but if some were already answered in your application, they didn't bother with it. The interviewers are not intimidating and the interviews are in little rooms around the building (mine was in a study room in the library). The interview is in the morning after some brief introductions to the school, curriculum, and financial aid. The campus the campus building is pretty cool and the city is pretty cool (I walked around ALL DAY today) and the subway is pretty easy to figure out.

There were 14 of us interviewing that day (7 faculty members interviewing 2 students each) and I think it was a full day for interviews. Everyone there seemed competent and friendly so I was a little worried about getting accepted, but I know that whoever does certainly deserves it. Good luck to everyone who was there Monday! Everyone was friendly and there was no apparent animosity or competitive tension among the the interviewees so the day went by smoothly.

I really enjoyed the day there and I know I will not regret matriculating if accepted.

Good luck ya'll.

13. Optomoman

Optomoman 5+ Year Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Jeff, I was one of the Ryans... from San Diego. Nice to meet you too, maybe I'll see you in the fall!

14. Brown Eye Girl

Brown Eye Girl 2+ Year Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Thanks a lot for your comments, they were really helpful! Good luck to all of you! Sounds like you guys had good interviews.... I am sure you guys ROCKED it! Do you know how long you have to wait until you hear from them?

15. optogirl21

optogirl21 Senior Member 2+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Jeff! I was interviewing on the 26th as well! Nice to meet you :)

I got my letter in the mail three days after my interview. They sent it by UPS so I got it right away which was impressive.

Has anyone else been accepted to NECO but decided not to go there? If so, what were your reasons for not going?

16. gochi

gochi 10+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Im planning on going their in the future....what were your stats like ?

17. optogirl21

optogirl21 Senior Member 2+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    My gpa wasn't so great ~3.2 but my oats were 350 and I had a lot of exposure to the field (working, volunteering etc) What about you?

18. ucbsowarrior

ucbsowarrior Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2005
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=391032