Why not MCG??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southcom

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm a 3rd year at MCG and when I was scanning everyone's rank list I only saw one or two people even have MCG on it. Its not just on here, but when I talk to 4th years, very few are even going to rank MCG, and if they do its low, with my classmates everyone wants to leave as well. So what am I missing, is it Augusta that everyone hates, or is there something wrong with the program its self?
I have not rotated through there yet, but I have allways been set on staying here, but with no one else desiring this place it really makes me think of other places, mostly vandy. For example if I finished the program here as opposed to vandy how much different would the job prospects be? Any other information on either program essp. MCG would be helpful. Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

southcom said:
Ok so I'm a 3rd year at MCG and when I was scanning everyone's rank list I only saw one or two people even have MCG on it. Its not just on here, but when I talk to 4th years, very few are even going to rank MCG, and if they do its low, with my classmates everyone wants to leave as well. So what am I missing, is it Augusta that everyone hates, or is there something wrong with the program its self?
I have not rotated through there yet, but I have allways been set on staying here, but with no one else desiring this place it really makes me think of other places, mostly vandy. For example if I finished the program here as opposed to vandy how much different would the job prospects be? Any other information on either program essp. MCG would be helpful. Thanks everyone

I did not do a rotation there, but I did interview there. I LOVED the program and ranked it very highly. It seems to have a unique offering with the tactical medicine, DMAT team, and International Medicine opportunities.

People may not have ranked it highly due to different personal preference reasons (e.g. family, looking for a more urban program, etc.).

Wook

I too loved the program after interviewing there. It would have been higher on my list but Augusta just wasn't a place I wanted to be. In speaking to other applicants I interviewed with they all really liked the place but like me Augusta was the main detractor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its a solid program, but as Dukes said, Augusta is kind of, well, differnet. Its kind of like Akron General Hospital in OH. Such a good program, great benefits, and a good experience... but... its Akron. That's why a lot of the residents tend to be from OH since, well, they're from OH.

I heard on the interview trail when I was an M4 from a student who rotated there... that at one point they did a survey after the Match to the students that didn't end up there, to find out why they didnt' rank it higher... and universally the answer was "because its in Akron."

To me, I would rather live in a nice place for three years and pay a bit more, than in a small dinky town and have more benefits, but that's just me. I'm dragging along a wife, and if she ain't happy, nobody's happy.

Q

Ditto Ditto Ditto. Great program, and a fantastic program director. Also, they had some very interesting oppotunities in tactical and flight medicine.

My wife and I were looking to get out of the South though.

I really enjoyed a good 30-45 minute chat with the PD at ACEPs SA. He totally sold me on the program and I went home and added it to my rank list the same night. I however did not sell myself to him apparently because I didn't get the interview.
Don't worry too much about not seeing MCG on too many lists here. This isn't exactly a huge sampling of people. Just like I am not getting too excited about not seeing my top 2 on many lists. I am sure they are out there just not posting.

I ranked it #2. Would have been happy there; liked the program, and you can afford a house in the area on a resident's salary.

Hey, I'm a 4th year at MCG. Unfortunately, I did not rank it, nor did I rank Emory for that matter. I just want to leave GA, plain and simple. It's funny, I talked to Brad Reynolds, the Assistant PD, when I was in the department during my sub-I. He told me that I was on their list of "people to call", but since he knew that I wasn't interested in staying, that conversation would count as my call. I am not too thrilled with Augusta, but I think I will miss it a little. I love the affordability, lack of traffic, and...well I can't think of much more. As for the program, I think it is solid. Drs. Menckhoff and Reynolds are super cool guys, and fun to work with. I think you would get as good of training there as you would anywhere else. As many of the above posters have mentioned, location is very important. I hope to end up in a big city, but not huge, i.e. Chi-town, LA, NY,etc. That's why Charlotte and Nashville are at the top of my list, not to mention that Carolinas and Vandy are awesome programs. MCG never has a problem filling its slots, as people who end up there WANT to be there for the most part. It has a lot to offer, as previously stated. It boils down to whether or not you want to live in the AUG. PM me with any questions. Thanks.