Why Nycom??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATTT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In NYCOM secondary, they ask "in the space below discuss your reasons for applying to NYCOM."

Considering they only give 3 lines to answer, I am having a tough time. I have many good things about school but it doesn't fit the space.

I am wondering how you guys answer this question.
Is it bad to say I apply to NYCOM because I want to study in NY?

Members don't see this ad.

In NYCOM secondary, they ask "in the space below discuss your reasons for applying to NYCOM."

Considering they only give 3 lines to answer, I am having a tough time. I have many good things about school but it doesn't fit the space.

I am wondering how you guys answer this question.
Is it bad to say I apply to NYCOM because I want to study in NY?

I think that is what my answer was in so many words and it worked for me.

I don't remember what I wrote, but I don't think anything you say will make much of a difference. They will ask you that in your interview. Have a good explanation there and you will be fine. I think they really just want your money.:smuggrin: Most of the questions on the secondary are a bit redundant because they are so similar to what is on your primary.:laugh: I think saying something about the location and their reputation of excellence would suffice. Good luck! I hope you get in there. It is a good school and I am sure you would be happy there.:luck: :D

Members don't see this ad :)
"Because you have a medical school and I want to go"

Thanks doctormom. I am hoping I will get in. It is only 30 mins away from my home. The interview is on Thursday. :scared:

Thanks doctormom. I am hoping I will get in. It is only 30 mins away from my home. The interview is on Thursday. :scared:

Hey NYCOM is 30 minutes from me too! I think I said something to the effect of Location, technology, online streaming, clinical sights and of course, reputation. Good luck on thursday, I actually interviewed a year ago friday (1/26)!!

just mention the hospital affiliations and location. your interviewer will likely ask you that ? at which point you can get into it in greater detail.

Robotic patients, streaming lectures, NYCOMEC, mentor project, etc..:cool:

Thanks everyone. Is it true that NYCOM interviews are not very stress? Anything to watch out for? I already read through SDN interview bank, but I am still worried.

Thanks everyone. Is it true that NYCOM interviews are not very stress? Anything to watch out for? I already read through SDN interview bank, but I am still worried.

It wasn't stressful. Just relax and be yourself. Your stats are good from what I remember, so you should be fine. Good luck!:luck:

It wasn't stressful. Just relax and be yourself. Your stats are good from what I remember, so you should be fine. Good luck!:luck:

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Somehow, I was thinking they don't look at stats anymore once a person get interview.

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Somehow, I was thinking they don't look at stats anymore once a person get interview.

Your stats gets you an interview. The reason why they interview is because they want to know you as a person. Just be yourself.

Hey guys. I have a question for everyone going through the NYCOM process. I applied late in the cycle and got a letter form NYCOM mid-december saying they received my AACOM application and that they will be inviting for interviews based off of the supplementals. How long was it until you guys heard from NYCOM after that initial letter. I'm from Long Island and really want to go to NYCOM but am worried because I still haven't heard anything ... My MCAT scores were low, but GPA is good. Please let me know so I can know when I should really start to worry! Thanks!

Hey guys. I have a question for everyone going through the NYCOM process. I applied late in the cycle and got a letter form NYCOM mid-december saying they received my AACOM application and that they will be inviting for interviews based off of the supplementals. How long was it until you guys heard from NYCOM after that initial letter. I'm from Long Island and really want to go to NYCOM but am worried because I still haven't heard anything ... My MCAT scores were low, but GPA is good. Please let me know so I can know when I should really start to worry! Thanks!

Taryn Croot (if I spelled the name correctly),told me they look at whole applicant not just at MCAT score. I heard from the pretty fast about two weeks as I was complete.