WHY NYU or Columbia??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogobruin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you might need to be more specific - the best answers to that question aren't really transferable between schools. Look at their website... see if you can get an idea for a program or two they offer that you'd want to try out, mention them. See if you can determine what they are proud of... a new research facility, etc. bring it up, and maybe even tie it into your experience. ("I'm particularly interested in your new research building, as I've done two years of work in blah blah blah research and I'm hoping to continue expanding my research experience during my time in dental school.") This question is there to see if you are really interested in their school or not... it can never hurt to go the extra mile on this one.

Good luck!

I think you might need to be more specific - the best answers to that question aren't really transferable between schools. Look at their website... see if you can get an idea for a program or two they offer that you'd want to try out, mention them. See if you can determine what they are proud of... a new research facility, etc. bring it up, and maybe even tie it into your experience. ("I'm particularly interested in your new research building, as I've done two years of work in blah blah blah research and I'm hoping to continue expanding my research experience during my time in dental school.") This question is there to see if you are really interested in their school or not... it can never hurt to go the extra mile on this one.

Good luck!
Don't say that you are interested in the research "building" though. They might think you like the building structure only. Yeah, that's pretty much what I did for the "Why UCLA?" question on my UCLA secondary. Look up their website and see if you find anything interesting and relative to your interests in their school.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on your interviews manhattan's gonna be tight!!

but i gotta say -- and don't take this the wrong way -- it's annoying how everyone keeps asking "in my interview at x, y and z why do i want to go there??" isn't it YOUR job to scour every page of their website? to look up all the interview info on the sdn interview database? i feel like a lot of posts lately ask the world to do their homework for them. i mean, do the same thing you did for nyu and columbia that you did for those schools that required secondary applications!

right off the bat, i can tell you that, for example, you can say at nyu (if applicable) "i'm attracted to the large student body because it provides an atmosphere that ...", or at columbia you can say something like "i look forward to supplementing my dental education with the highly funded nih/nidhr(?) research opportunities offered at few other institutions..." something along those lines.

do your homework and you'll be confident when you walk into those interviews

Last edited: