Why oh why?! *Wash U applicants*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E'01

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know where my head was, but I just found out that differential calculus is not taught in calc II - it's a separate class. I had no idea. So basically i have wasted my $ applying to Wash U, since I have only taken Calc. I and that was 5 years ago. There's no way I can take Calc II then Diff. Calc by August, just for a school that may not even interview me! :( :oops: :(

Just curious, for those of you who applied to Wash U, what made you take 3 semesters of calc in undergrad...were you math majors? Is Diff. Calc. hard?

Members don't see this ad.

I've taken every math class imaginable :D However I SERIOUSLY doubt that they check such things. It really doesn't matter! I only took 2/3 of the required year of biology and 2/3 of the required year of physics; and no one has given me any grief about this. Even the HST program at Harvard is not strict about enforcing math requirements. I don't think you should have a problem.

Are you sure that they require 3 semesters of calc? I don't remember reading anything about that. I definitely only took 2 and I got an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also had 2 semesters and got an interview. Most second semester calc courses touch on diff eqn's toward the end of the class. I wouldn't worry!

don't sweat things like this, I'm sure it won't come up. I got into vanderbilt despite the fact that they say very clearly that they don't accept AP credit and wanted a year of gen chem and physics done in college, and I hadn't taken either. Don't give up hope or withdraw your app. If it comes up, don't lie, but I bet it won't come up.

E'01:

I wouldn't worry about it at all. I'm a first year at Wash U., and at least a couple of people here haven't taken more than a semester of Calculus.

Good luck!

Is it possible that you're confusing "differential calculus" with the more advanced course called "differential equations"? I was a mechanical engineering major and took both courses. The first year of calculus consisted of "differential and integral calculus" (calc I) and "sequences, series, and multivariable calculus" (calc II). The second year of calculus included "differential equations" -- a more advanced course which is not required by medical schools.

I was thinking the same thing. Differential calculus could just mean the study of derivatives, which are based on differentials.

I'm also an engineering major and had to take Calc 1, 2, 3, and 2 courses in differential equations.

My Calc 3 course did not include differential equations though, it was all based on multivariable calculus. Calc 1 and 2 are differential and integral calculus, respectively.

You guys are the greatest! After finding out what I did today, I ran upstairs to my room and sadly crossed off Wash U from my list of "schools still waiting to hear from"...I really thought it was over. Thank you all for the clarification and reassurance.

Ranger Bob & Baylor 21 I think you hit it on the spot. Wash U's website states:Required course work includes a minimum of one year in biological science, general or inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, physics and mathematics through differential calculus. I guess I was confusing it with differential equations.

Wow, Energy-girl are you serious? Okay so there's hope for me still. :) I have it on my AMCAS that I'll be taking in the Spring, but I have no energy (I need to borrow some of yours :) ) what with work and the other stuff I do.

I have another question if you all don't mind. Do you reccomend that I take calc II (it's been 5 years since I took calc I and did not do very well in it never mind that I've forgotten it all)? If I do take it in the spring, do I have to submit a transcript to all the schools I applied to? My former post-bac pre-med advisor was saying that I can take the class but drop it if I don't get an interview. I'm afraid that I would still have to submit that transcript to my med schools - and they may frown upon the Drop/ Withdraw grade - or worse yet, an F if I drop the class after mid-March. I guess the other option is to wait for an interview (I wish!) then take calc II in the summer?

Well, if you want to take Calc 2 I would recommend at least reviewing the Calc 1 stuff. That being said, if you can at least get up to speed again on the major concepts of calc 1 then you should be ok.

I'm honestly not sure if you would have to submit a new transcript just for that one class. I would wait and take that one class in the summer. The vast majority of med schools dont require calc 2, and its a waste to worry about taking it in the spring if you are not even sure if you will get accepted to the 2 or 3 schools that require it.

Get accepted to the school first, and then worry about taking it during the summer.

bump.

Thanks so much baylor 21 for the advice! That will save me about $600 and a lot of time!